First Play Reports!

strange indeed... do you have a gp2x and is it working for you?

now i'm uber confused...

edit: i'll have to re-download my demo, because i can't play it on my pc, or even dosbox... so i probably got a shite version, or got screwed by my dorm's shoddy bandwidth... i dl'd mine from id aswell

I dug out my original Quake disk.....(took a while) blew the dust off then copied both pak files......works a treat!!!! :)

Also got Hexen running!!!...What a great day!!! :)

I know they're using mplayer for the video.... I wonder if a Xine port will be done as well. Mplayer is kinda tricky to get workin on SuSE.

NeCrO,

Thanks for posting the videos. :D

There not big files, which is really appreciated as I'm on dial-up. :lol:

This fix will need to keep me going until I get my own GP2X through the post sometime soon I hope. Although I not sure anything will stop me from refreshing my Inbox until I get that shipping advice. :p

Poobik The Hare said:
declaration said:
btw- please don't use this post to claim the GP2X has shit battery life. Its just a first impression

and a first impresion that shows a poor battery life

Which we already know will be improved shortly with new firmwares.

The firmware is going to make it so that when you are in menus or don't need full speed it will use less power by slowing down to less than 200 MHz. This will help for some stuff. Unfortunately when you are doing stuff that *NEEDS* full power like SNES, Megadrive, NeoGeo emulation, Quake etc the battery life will still be poor because both CPU cores will be running full power.

Firmware won't be a fix-all, it will only help in some situations. For CPU intensive stuff like emulation the battery life on GP2X will make the Game Gear look good. Maybe we could hack it to use 4AA batteries, 2 in parallel for increased power.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
Unfortunately when you are doing stuff that *NEEDS* full power like SNES, Megadrive, NeoGeo emulation, Quake etc the battery life will still be poor because both CPU cores will be running full power.

None of that even uses the second CPU yet. And why would Megadrive need to run that fast? It's full speed @ 133mhz on the GP32!

For CPU intensive stuff like emulation the battery life on GP2X will make the Game Gear look good.

Confirmed by Anarchy:

Actually about 4~5 hours on 2500mah batteries and 3~4 playing video

So if it's ALREADY 4+ hours now and will only get better (6+), how does that make the Game Gear look good? The PSP only gets 2-3 hours running homebrew, so the GP2X will be double that!

You really want to see the GP2X fail don't you?

Gaterooze, no matter what anyone says please don't say they're trying to make the GP2X fail, especially if they're always around and rarely spewing illegible garbage. While we all know DaveC is perceived as a doomsayer, I think he's more a sceptic. Give him a break even if it's nonsense.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to jump on DaveC's back and pound my chest on this one. Think of the difference on the GP32 between 133mhz and say 166 or 172mhz. That difference takes away about an hour of my battery life. Now crank that up to 200... dare I say 400 mhz? Firmware updates will help, but aren't going to solve the problem. No matter how you slice it, (better technology, better efficiency), 400 mhz is going to chew through 2 AA's in short order. It should have been 4 AA's from the get go... I even wish the GP32 had 4AA's. It has the room internally(at least close to it)

DaveC said:
Unfortunately when you are doing stuff that *NEEDS* full power like SNES, Megadrive, NeoGeo emulation, Quake etc the battery life will still be poor because both CPU cores will be running full power.

None of that even uses the second CPU yet. And why would Megadrive need to run that fast? It's full speed @ 133mhz on the GP32!
I think the two cores would be using a shared clock to keep them synchronized. So if one core was running at 200mhz the other would have to be running at the same speed

Very varying reports on the battery life...

Some seem to get 4 hours while others don't even get 2. I wonder what causes the difference. Battery type? Application use? Something else? I hope my 2500mah Energizers will be able to survive longer than 2 hours.

Just made 2 vids, 1 of Quake and 1 Hexen...

They where made with a eyetoy camera on the pc so quality not fantastic but ok..

Both around 4mb each.

Links to download are:

http://www.uploading.com/?get=A2TLDOPL

http://www.uploading.com/?get=A64JFWBE

I have tried but had no joy so far....

Another vid of Hexen, bit better quality of a rolling demo.

http://www.uploading.com/?get=PP5HKP8O

If anyone has some tips on the snes emu then please help!! :)

THANK YOU for your effort! Looks awsome. :D

Sorry, but I'm going to have to jump on DaveC's back and pound my chest on this one. Think of the difference on the GP32 between 133mhz and say 166 or 172mhz. That difference takes away about an hour of my battery life. Now crank that up to 200... dare I say 400 mhz? Firmware updates will help, but aren't going to solve the problem. No matter how you slice it, (better technology, better efficiency), 400 mhz is going to chew through 2 AA's in short order. It should have been 4 AA's from the get go... I even wish the GP32 had 4AA's. It has the room internally(at least close to it)

Oh so your saying that the reduced battery life is a non-issue on the 333Mhz PSP, and a major problem on a GP2X.

Game (Quake 1)

Frame rate seems to hover around 20-25 although it drops a bit if there are 4 or more enemies on the screen at the same time.

Is this even possible? Are you just eyeballing it, or is there a frame counter?
I thought quake got 12fps, if this is true I am going to be in heaven!

I assume the videos crashing are from slow SD cards, if your card can not suply the data fast enough *boom*. It could also be a shoddy program.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to jump on DaveC's back and pound my chest on this one.  Think of the difference on the GP32 between 133mhz and say 166 or 172mhz.  That difference takes away about an hour of my battery life.  Now crank that up to 200... dare I say 400 mhz?  Firmware updates will help, but aren't going to solve the problem.  No matter how you slice it, (better technology, better efficiency), 400 mhz is going to chew through 2 AA's in short order.  It should have been 4 AA's from the get go... I even wish the GP32 had 4AA's.  It has the room internally(at least close to it)

Oh so your saying that the reduced battery life is a non-issue on the 333Mhz PSP, and a major problem on a GP2X.

To play Devil's advocate for a moment ...

The PSP has a Li-Ion battery, the GP2X uses 2 AAs.

Back