Osx Usb Problem: Nothing Happens

Araneidae

Still Fresh
Unfortunately there's very little I can add to the topic description. I switch on the GP2X and let it boot and then plug the USB cable between the GP2X and my iBook. Nothing happens.

Oddly, the SETTING/USB applet says "USB Connected" whether the cable is plugged in or not, and pressing all of the buttons does nothing (except that START exits to the main menu and X exits to the SETTING menu).

I'm stumped, and this is a bit of a show stopper for me! I don't know of any utilitys on the Mac to probe the USB.

(I've tried searching the board, but the search function seems to be broken.)

There is tool called USB Prober that comes with Xcode which should have come with your OS X install discs.

This will pretty much tell you anything you could want to know about whats happening on your USB, including raw dumps of any IO

Very good: found USB Prober hiding away under /Developer/Applications/Utilities.

Unfortunately, USB Prober also sees nothing whatsover. In the "Bus Probe" pane it reports three "OHCI Root Hub Simulation" hub devices and an "EHCI (ditto)", and notices if I insert a USB key, as a "Composite device", ... but nothing happens when I plug in the GP2X.

I'm very suspicious that the SETTING/USB application reports "USB Connected" and does nothing, no matter what I do (press keys, plug in or unplug).

I've tried the USB Logger facility on USB Prober, but it doesn't seem to work. I also cannot see anything relevant on the console log.

Alas, it's not the USB cable either. I've just tried the cable that works with my camera, and no go.

Not good. I'll have the opportunity to try on a colleague's Linux box tomorrow, but this is not looking good.

Has anybody got usb working?
For me it doesn't work on,
os x 10.4 on mac mini
win2k or linux on pc laptop.

All of those frequently have usb mass storage devices connected so I can only assume fault lies with the gp2x.

windows 98 dosnt have mass storage support....
I suspected that particular test wasn't very conclusive! However, W98 did at least notice when I inserted a USB key and whinge about being unable to find any support for it. When I connected my GP2X nothing happened at all.

However, I think the problem may instead be a manufacturing fault!

Last edited by a moderator:
When i connect the GP2X to my ibook G4, nothing happends.
But if i also connect my USB2 external drive, the GP2X mounts and works good.

GPH's usb implementation is a bag of crap, don't even bother with it - although forcing usb 1.1 sometimes helps. Wait until the next firmware release.

Some people say it has to be in a 1.1 port, so try plugging it into your keyboard (it has two usb ports on it that are usb 1.1), sadly this won't really work for an iBook. I still have to say the best thing to do is just get a card reader. I have a Mac and find it the best way to transfer files.

Back