First Play Reports!

I've heard a few people say that now. Works fine for me though so it might be difficult to track the problem down. It's possible the final units have slightly less memory available than the dev units. Quake normally asks for 8mb, but I increased it to 16 just in case any mod needed more than 8. I'll try and get a test version out later today with the memory back to 8mb.

I've played it and managed to get to the third level, first chapter (normal difficulty)

and then? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm i'm having the same video prob...worked fine for a bit, then one video froze, now videos freeze before they've even started.

I'm just a bit curious why they're not working at all now, i.e. something must have changed...

Edit: Seems it was the batteries, changed them and now videos work again...but boy that IS a short battery life..but happy to wait for a fix (or an DC adapter ;))

oh and just so you know (i'm not concerned) but quake crashes for me too ;)

no GPH said htey changed the ram to 64 meg didnt they?

It "has" 64mb of ram but in the current config the second CPU uses 16mb of it for video processing and the other 16mb isn't accessible by the OS. So linux can only see 32megs

Though I wonder why they didnt use the top most ram instead...:huh: Im sure some one knows. :)

hmm i'm having the same video prob...worked fine for a bit, then one video froze, now videos freeze before they've even started.

I'm just a bit curious why they're not working at all now, i.e. something must have changed...

Edit: Seems it was the batteries, changed them and now videos work again...but boy that IS a short battery life..but happy to wait for a fix (or an DC adapter ;))

oh and just so you know (i'm not concerned) but quake crashes for me too ;)

hmm... Really need to get some rechargables...

I'm guessing that when the SD reliability problem is fixed and the CPU isn't cranked to full this problem will be non existant

Woogal......I get to move around at the start part but when i enter the transporter for the next level it dumps back to desktop. I think I have the pocket pc pak file does this make a difference?
I've heard a few people say that now. Works fine for me though so it might be difficult to track the problem down. It's possible the final units have slightly less memory available than the dev units. Quake normally asks for 8mb, but I increased it to 16 just in case any mod needed more than 8. I'll try and get a test version out later today with the memory back to 8mb.
I've just replaced the pak0.pak I had from the shareware version of Quake with another from p2p. I'm not sure if that makes it the commercial one or not, but the point is that it's made quake2x start working - I had the problem where it would go back to the launcher when you stepped into the transporter thing.

The working file is 18,276,119kb. I've just overwritten the other one so don't know the size, but it was different.

edit - And I forgot to say - it plays pretty nicely. Thanks to Woogal!

Strange, I didn't know there were different sizes of pak0.pak around. I'll check the size of mine in a minute. Is it possible for someone to put online a pak0.pak that doesn't work so I can test it?

OK. I've worked out which machine I had the other one on. I'll PM you when it's uploaded. It's 18,689,235 bytes. (not kilobytes like I said earlier!)

edit - I think I'm being unscientific here - latest theory is that it actually needs pak1.pak to be there, but I'm testing that now. I just had it working with the pak0 that didn't work before, but only with pak1.pak also in place

On the crashing issue for videos, it does seem to be unreliable in general but the lower the battery the sooner it crashes

OK. I've worked out which machine I had the other one on. I'll PM you when it's uploaded. It's 18,689,235 bytes. (not kilobytes like I said earlier!)

Yep, that's the one that crashes to the main menu (the 2x's, not Quake's) for me too. It's being linked to on a lot of Pocket Quake sites.

I just tried it with the same file Barnesy is using but will not start at all....could be the pak1 file

Right, as barnesy and NeCrO have guessed the problem is to do with pak1.pak. For some strange reason the level can't be selected if pak1.pak isn't available, even though the file it's looking for is in pak0.pak. I'll start working on a fix now.

Cool.....hey im really going to like this GP2X (never had a GP before).....this is what its all about!! :)

Nice one guys! :)

Poobik The Hare said:
declaration said:
btw- please don't use this post to claim the GP2X has shit battery life. Its just a first impression

and a first impresion that shows a poor battery life

Which we already know will be improved shortly with new firmwares.

hey woogal, does the pak0.pak need to be from the official release and not the demo? i don't own quake, and i'd assume i have to buy the entire thing in order to have a complete textures file... i don't have my gp2x yet, but my pak0.pak file is 8004k and it's from the demo... does this make any difference?

hey woogal, does the pak0.pak need to be from the official release and not the demo? i don't own quake, and i'd assume i have to buy the entire thing in order to have a complete textures file... i don't have my gp2x yet, but my pak0.pak file is 8004k and it's from the demo... does this make any difference?

Strange, I've downloaded the demo from Id's website and it comes with a 17,8MB pak0.pak file. And there is not any pak1.pak :huh:

Back