Odroid Vs Archos 5 Internet Tablet.

rsuryase

I have an Odroid and I like the Android OS, so I was thinking of getting a bigger Android device. The closest one I know is the Archos 5 Internet Tablet, the specs seems to be more powerful than the Odroid. Is the Archos 5 IT programmable like the Odroid like can I install Google Marketplace and future versions of the Android OS? BTW, I'm a consumer, not a developer. Maybe I should wait for the Archos 7 IT.

rsuryase said:
I have an Odroid and I like the Android OS, so I was thinking of getting a bigger Android device. The closest one I know is the Archos 5 Internet Tablet, the specs seems to be more powerful than the Odroid. Is the Archos 5 IT programmable like the Odroid like can I install future versions of the Android OS? BTW, I'm a consumer, not a developer. Maybe I should wait for the Archos 7 IT.

You could go a different route.. EEE PC 900 (900A) or smaller and run Android on that (works fine)..

Just an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard very many bad things about the Archos 5 android version. It's not andorid's "fault", but archos did a poor job in their port from what I'm hearing. A firmware update is pretty much needed out of the box to make the device even halfway useable. But it's still plagued with lockups and whatnot. Not good for the money they're asking for it IMO.

but to answer your question, search "market4archos" on google and you should find what you're looking for.

Since Archos released the developer firmware for the Gen7 tablet things get interesting. Android has been rooted, Angström is being developed for the older Archos Gen6 and should be available on Gen7, soon. Someone else started developing a stripped down Ubuntu firmware.

http://fladnag.net/blog/category/archubuntu/

Archos MID still has Android 1.6 as I know.
2.0 or 2.1 should be coming soon. Who knows the schedule?

Has anyone tried the new firmware upgrade for the Archos Internet Tablet 5? They have added OpenGL support. Is it still unstable or have Archos fixed that by now?

My Odroid feel so obsolete with Android 1.5. The 2.1 build don't allow Google apps to run :p.

Back