First Edition Vs Recent Release Gp2x Question

HydraLancer

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hello all

Just wanted to see if anyone knew the major differences between the 2 versions that have come out of the GP2x. From what I have gathered the recent release has a lot of the hardware fixes that the first one did not have, but does anyone know exactly which things they fixed? As for my gp2x I got a first edition one, and so far I don’t seem to have any of the flaws that many people have had with there’s except for the headphone jack issue where I have to jam the headphones in all the way, but I heard of things as different as the LCD being less buggy in the new version, would it have been better to wait it off? Or am I mistaken and the recent releases were all first editions as well? Just wondering.

Thanks,

you should realy learn to read.
there are no hardware changes, there are no hardware bugs, if you have a dodgy unit send it back and get it replaced...

Vimacs posted on Dec 20 2005 at 01:52 PM said:
you should realy learn to read.
there are no hardware changes, there are no hardware bugs, if you have a dodgy unit send it back and get it replaced...

I do understand that most of the problems were software related, but at least the headphone jack was a known documented problem so I guess that’s one fault with it, so you cant really say that there were NO hardware problems, but I can live with a slightly buggy headphone jack. I was just concerned about anyone else who got a first edition one as well who may have experienced other problems with it. And pardon me if I don’t live and breathe these forums every day, topics and issues do slip my radar which is why I ask in the first place and I can be mistaken from time to time which I said outright so being rude won’t solve anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
techFreak posted on Dec 20 2005 at 02:23 PM said:
Please search the forums before opening new topics on and on.

No hardware change. Only firmware related problems being fixed.

Very well everyone, I apologize for this post. Thanks for answering.

Sorry, there is ONE hardware fix:
They placed some milky coating on the battery / power label :)
Now you don't see the bent LEDs anymore ;)

thats actualy a pretty good change, i bet it should have been there from the beginning but someone forgot it ^^

Vimacs, you should edit your sig so bart's writing, "I will use the search function before asking dumb questions"

Nothing against HydraLancer.

With regards to my previous message, HydraLancer asked whether there were any hardware fixes in the 'second editions' compared to the first editions. Both Vimacs and techFreak insinuated (in a rather rude manner) that there had been absolutely no change in the hardware what so ever.

According to atleast two threads there have been some changes.

Thread 1

saboteur posted on Dec 21 2005 at 09:03 AM said:
my brother got his GP2X last week and having compared the two ( my First Edition to his Normal GP2X ) his has a much brighter screen and the joystick is muuuuucccchhhh better. :)
weirdocollector posted on Dec 21 2005 at 09:07 AM said:
I too got a "non-first edition" GP2X after I returned my "first-edition" one to Craig due to the HP jack falling into the unit.

I too must say that the new one looks and feel better built, and yes, the joystick and the LCD (but that could be due to the FW) is much better...
Yuglooc posted on Dec 21 2005 at 09:38 AM said:
I admit at I really agree It is a lot better.

Thread 2
codeninja posted on Dec 17 2005 at 03:51 AM said:
Initial reaction of Korean GP2x users are very positive. They all said that LCD is brighter and better, and the joystick input works better, too. Rumor said that GPH replaced the board.
Even if they did just clip the stick, like craigix said, it is still a minuet hardware fix.

It would be nice to know if the non-first edition joystick is just clipped like craigx said or if it's really changed. Maybe someone can post some pictures of the 2nd edition?

Personally, my biggest gripe about the joystick is not the deadzone, but hitting the diagonals. I understand clipping the stick will not fix that. :(

Sorry for something slightly off topic, but play-asia.com has the TV out and the Gp2x available (I think it just came out yesterday or the day before) does anybody know whether this is the "non-first edition?" I did e-mail and ask about whether it was the first edition and they said that "Actually there is no first or future edition ....." so I think I'd rather ask someone, as people who are trying to sell you something are usually unrealiable (Hey, I live in Hong Kong, it happens all the time)

Its quite amusing how members on here claim to know everything gp32x, then realise they are incorrect. Don't act like a cunt and play nice, it does seem a little elitist at times.

Javacat posted on Dec 21 2005 at 01:48 PM said:
weirdocollector posted on Dec 21 2005 at 09:07 AM said:
I too got a "non-first edition" GP2X after I returned my "first-edition" one to Craig due to the HP jack falling into the unit.
Mine has a serial 201-00000007 (or something like that) and even if it has the "first edition" logo on it, i can say that the headphone plug is of good quality (pluging the jack does not feel particulary "hard" or "strange" in any ways)...

I'm really sorry reading people develope Gp2x (like craig) that try to take defense on some mistakes and false information of GPH.

The chages are there, headphone fix is a change, the LCD si brighter also after upgrading firmware on the old,
I think that the right answer is that GP2x is not for commercial use but for developing until they release something working well,

i'm really happy with mine, but only because i enjoy developing on, not playing, not features, for that other handheld are better.

m2c

Joystick has NOT been changed, it's still the same.
Compared with some of the first units I have.

It's not as stiff as it was at first, but the stiffy stick gets as smooth as the ones from the new batch after a few weeks of use.

LCD is the same, they only did the hardware fix to prevent flickering, this also makes the screen a bit brighter, but according to GPH a gamma setting is included in the next firmware as well as the LCD-Tweaker utility in some form, so the screen can be setup to look the same.

If anyone still wants the LCD hardware fix on the first unit: I did this on a few units already, so I can do it for you, too, if you want.

EvilDragon posted on Dec 21 2005 at 04:39 PM said:
If anyone still wants the LCD hardware fix on the first unit: I did this on a few units already, so I can do it for you, too, if you want.
What exactly is this "hardware fix"? Is it something one can do at home? Some people might actually prefer to risk voiding the warranty rather than sending their gp2x around the world...

Back