Gp2x - 2nd Edition - Screen Too Bright

honglong

Still Fresh
Hi, i have had the first edition and the screen was perfect, except for the scanlines. This was replaced with the 2nd edition one.

The screen has always been too bright. 99% of the stuff is playable but GNGeo is sooo bright, i cannot see anything unless i tilt the GP2X. Scanlines are fine.

I hope this is going to be sorted in the next firmware.

Anyone else have this problem?

Ooo oooo!!

Get the new LCD_Speed tweaker ... ver 1.3 has gamma adjustment ... I too thought Neo Geo was too bright, now (in my case, using 0.6 as the gamma setting) it's perfect :)

TelcoLou posted on May 5 2006 at 03:36 PM said:
Ooo oooo!!

Get the new LCD_Speed tweaker ... ver 1.3 has gamma adjustment ... I too thought Neo Geo was too bright, now (in my case, using 0.6 as the gamma setting) it's perfect :)

Does that work with 2.0?

It is not reseat like the cpu speed?
^thats probaly a stupid question.

Last edited by a moderator:
reallynotnick posted on May 5 2006 at 05:03 PM said:
Ooo oooo!!

Does that work with 2.0?

Yep, I have 2.0 and it works great (using scripts)

reallynotnick posted on May 5 2006 at 10:03 PM said:

Yes, it's reset, like the cpu speed, but you can run it from a script to stop it from doing so :)

Can someone make a quick gamma only changer script that either sets it to .6 (I think we all are using that setting) or allows for a parameter to be passed, so I can run it with that startup app thing in 2.0?

PSyMastR posted on May 5 2006 at 04:21 PM said:
Can someone make a quick gamma only changer script that either sets it to .6 (I think we all are using that setting) or allows for a parameter to be passed, so I can run it with that startup app thing in 2.0?

Co-Sign....for those of us who are script challenged.... :ph34r:

Knoxximus posted on May 7 2006 at 02:51 AM said:
PSyMastR posted on May 5 2006 at 04:21 PM said:

Co-Sign....for those of us who are script challenged.... :ph34r:
Im not script challenged, but I dont want to change the CPU frequency or LCD clock settings in order to change the gamma. Thats what I was asking for :D

TelcoLou posted on May 5 2006 at 09:08 PM said:
reallynotnick posted on May 5 2006 at 05:03 PM said:
Ooo oooo!!

Does that work with 2.0?

Yep, I have 2.0 and it works great (using scripts)
Could you please post an example of the script you found best. It is a good starting point for the rest of us!

when you call the cpu/lcd tweaker in a script, you follow it with four parameters. from TFR:

Code:
#/bin/sh
/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 5 230 0.6 > /mnt/sd/output.txt
cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
---
The first parameter sets the clock-generator. Choose 0 for FPLL and 1 for UPLL.
The second parameter sets the prescaler for the LCD-timing. Get your prefered values with the graphical-menue. Choose values between 
-20 and 36 for FPLL-mode and -5 and 10 for UPLL-mode.
The third parameter sets the CPU-frequency in MHz. Choose a value between 33MHz and 320MHz.
If you use values which are too high or too low, the program exits without changing anything.
yThe forth parameter sets the gamma-value. You can use values from 0.02 up to 10 where 0.02 is dark and 10 is bright.

you can disregard the "> /mnt/sd/output.txt" as it just pipes the output to a file. so for only changing gamma you'd use

Code:
cpu_speed.gpe 0 0 200 0.8

honglong, are you sure that gngeo just doesn't like the overclock setting you're using for some reason (as the cpu freq and lcd freq are connected)? because i know selector used to have a problem like that...is there a bright white line on the left side of your screen as well? if so, then i think it's the lcd timings that are to blame. experimenting with that should help - i think you should change the gamma as a last resort, since it won't help much if it isn't the gamma that's a problem.

PSyMastR posted on May 5 2006 at 11:21 PM said:

You mean something like this: http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/markus.vehring/gamma.zip

It sets gamma to 0.6 if you don't a parameter. With parameter you can set gamma to anything you like.

Note that the program doesn't reboot the menu, it's for usage in scripts only. I put a verrrryyy simple script into the archiv .. the only thing it does is starting gamma.gpe and rebooting the menu.

god_at_hell posted on May 7 2006 at 10:22 AM said:
PSyMastR posted on May 5 2006 at 11:21 PM said:

You mean something like this: http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/markus.vehring/gamma.zip

It sets gamma to 0.6 if you don't a parameter. With parameter you can set gamma to anything you like.

Note that the program doesn't reboot the menu, it's for usage in scripts only. I put a verrrryyy simple script into the archiv .. the only thing it does is starting gamma.gpe and rebooting the menu.

Thanks for this ... but what I'm trying to do (as well as others, see this topic: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=28015), is change the gamma using an autorun script.

I used yours above, renaming it "autorun.gpu" and like before (see linked topic), just get a blank screen.

EDIT: Damn!!! I'm even more baffled, because I just tried it as a stand-alone .gpe script. It runs fine!! It just will not work as "autorun.gpu", gets a black screen.

This is both fascinating and baffling to me, as I'm still trying to get my head to understand this wacky Linux stuff :lol:

EDIT²: Holy shit! Sorry for the hash language, but it gets weirder!!! I just re-named my startup script for Stella to "autorun.gpu", placed it in the root of my SD and guess what? It loaded fine!!! Strange indeed ....

EDIT³: More interesting: I couldn't get Stella to exit ... seems like making it launch via "autorun.gpu" keeps it in a loop, pressing exit just flashes the screen for fraction of a second.

if gngeo is the only thing that concerns you, replace the selector executable with the new selector 0.9....

Oh, sorry ... forgot about the request for what I use to run gneogeo:

Code:
 #!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed 1 2 200 0.6
cd /mnt/sd/gneogeo/
./rage2x.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

TelcoLou posted on May 7 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
EDIT³: More interesting: I couldn't get Stella to exit ... seems like making it launch via "autorun.gpu" keeps it in a loop, pressing exit just flashes the screen for fraction of a second.
Of course it will, that's what autorun does - it autoruns ;)

I've given a more detailed reason (and solution) to this here

woogal posted on May 7 2006 at 02:27 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on May 7 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
Of course it will, that's what autorun does - it autoruns ;)

I've given a more detailed reason (and solution) to this here

OMFG you rock!

(also see here)

Back