First Day Of High School...

iignotus posted on Sep 8 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
Hanz™ posted on Sep 8 2006 at 08:16 AM said:
Rico posted on Sep 8 2006 at 11:52 AM said:
best years of your life!
Fucking bullshit.
Naw it's true. When you grow up, you'll realise it ;)

Not true for everyone Iggy...
Like I said most of my school life was a baaaad. Last two years were the best for me. And now I'm at uni I'm MUCH happier than I ever was at school.

Last edited by a moderator:
@iignotus stfu

The seniors aren't beating me up or anything, except all the upperclassmen are like "whao..." when they find freshmen in their classes. Hey, it ain't my fault they put me in honors... Most of my teachers are nice, except that I forgot to bring a sheet that I got signed, which means a homework not done already (shit!). And like most schools, no electronics. Well more like, if it's off and they don't see it, they won't take it.

Loubear posted on Sep 8 2006 at 03:07 PM said:
@iignotus stfu

The seniors aren't beating me up or anything, except all the upperclassmen are like "whao..." when they find freshmen in their classes. Hey, it ain't my fault they put me in honors... Most of my teachers are nice, except that I forgot to bring a sheet that I got signed, which means a homework not done already (shit!). And like most schools, no electronics. Well more like, if it's off and they don't see it, they won't take it.
How can you be in honors already, you just started. ;) I think you just took some diff classes in middle school and now you're in the classes you would be in if you were like those seniors. BTW I am a genius. :rolleyes: I took diff too(not in high school though, it's way too hard!!!!!!!!).

I just graduated to the "Oberstufe" thats class 11-13 in the german school system, so the highest "class" and im class 11 now. Each course with different pupils and just repeating stuff till now, its really cool :) (except maths and latin heh)
i finally got informatics! learning java with BlueJ now...

the 11 gon' be chilling, however, 12 & 13 are said to be about twice as hard as the eleven one.

Yeah, highschool is the best.

It's not overly taxing, except when it comes to exam times
U get to meet ALL your friends.

OMars posted on Sep 8 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
@iignotus stfu

How can you be in honors already, you just started. ;) I think you just took some diff classes in middle school and now you're in the classes you would be in if you were like those seniors. BTW I am a genius. :rolleyes: I took diff too(not in high school though, it's way too hard!!!!!!!!).

That's exactly what happened. The math program's weird here, basically what they do for honors is put you in the next grade up for that class.

OMars posted on Sep 8 2006 at 02:52 PM said:
@iignotus stfu

You can have honors classes your Freshman year in high school, a lot of people do (Well, a lot of people who actually give a shit about their education and future); I had Honors English and Honors Bio my Freshman year. There aren't any "honors" math classes here (Just the normal kind and AP Calc/Stats).

I'm not sure if there's a huge difference in size between our high schools, but I didn't get lost on my first day. The no electronics thing is pretty normal, but cell phones are allowed at our school (must be turned off during class) and lots of people carry around their iPods. If you're in the Industrial Engineering Technology class, then there's basically no limit on what kind of electronics you can bring in, as long as they are safe and legal.

Be sure to take a lot of tough classes and don't slack off. Take as many AP classes that you can handle (You'd be surprised how easy AP classes really are; they aren't as hard as everybody else makes them out to be) and be sure to take the PSATs and PLAN (To prepare you for your SATs and ACTs, respectively). Though your Freshman year usually isn't as critical as 10-12 when it comes to colleges, don't slack off. Try to have fun, but still keep in mind that you're going to college after high school to pursue your career (hopefully). Get involved with the school, do extracurricular activities, join clubs that share your interests/hobbies, etc.

I hope you enjoy finals. Oh, and if you actually end up taking AP classes, I hope you have a lot of fun during the first 2 weeks of May :D

OMars posted on Sep 7 2006 at 04:32 PM said:
School Supplies and Clothes: ~$500
Daily Lunch: $2
School Sweater: $30

Seniors beating the living crap out of you as you walk into school on friday morning: priceless :D
Fuck, people spend ~$500 on school supplies and clothes these days? Are you part of the upper class or something? I usually only spend ~$40-$50 for all of my back to school supplies and needs (I really don't see the point in spending hundreds of dollars on new clothes just for another school year when you already have a closet full of perfectly fine clothes).

Azure posted on Sep 9 2006 at 02:11 AM said:
You can have honors classes your Freshman year in high school, a lot of people do (Well, a lot of people who actually give a shit about their education and future); I had Honors English and Honors Bio my Freshman year. There aren't any "honors" math classes here (Just the normal kind and AP Calc/Stats).
I meant he just started school a few days ago. ;)
Fuck, people spend ~$500 on school supplies and clothes these days? Are you part of the upper class or something? I usually only spend ~$40-$50 for all of my back to school supplies and needs (I really don't see the point in spending hundreds of dollars on new clothes just for another school year when you already have a closet full of perfectly fine clothes).
That is the national average for americans(mostly white people), however I did not spend that much for my supplies.

I got a t-shirt: $20
3 pairs of pants: $15 for all 3
and a graphing calculator: $100
new shoes: $79 with shipping, they should of been $100 but my mom found them on ebay

and I reused binders from last year, with the help of duct tape

I used to have a uniform to school (even in 6th form) ... so as long as I hadn't grown much (and I hadn't usually... was always the shortest in the year...) then not all that much was needed to be ready for the next year.

My school's pretty big. It has some basic things like a commons (aka cafeteria), media center, and so on, but has a lot of wings. Around 5 wings? And then theres 2 seperate second floors (they aren't connected) and an annex.

my school is under construction so it sucks, and it's a brand new school and I'm a senior and I get lost

we don't have an actual cafeteria yest, the media center is still gettting set up, no books or computers yet, there is 2 floors and every corner besides one looks the same and there is a wing and it's confusing

Our school used to be a stately home, and we therefore have buildings all over the place. There was a new library, ict rooms and music block under constuction last year but it's now about finished.

Loubear posted on Sep 9 2006 at 11:52 AM said:
My school's pretty big. It has some basic things like a commons (aka cafeteria), media center, and so on, but has a lot of wings. Around 5 wings? And then theres 2 seperate second floors (they aren't connected) and an annex.
I guess my school's smaller then. Was it your first time on campus or something (I don't know about other schools, but here we have a thing called "Round-Up" where you go to your HS a couple weeks before school to get your yearbook picture taken, get your schedule, textbooks, etc. Though you're usually only there for ~45 minutes, you become familiar with the campus, so people hardly get lost)?

http://www.turlock.k12.ca.us/ths/ths_new_w...les/ths_map.pdf

craigix posted on Sep 8 2006 at 01:00 AM said:
I hated school and refused to goto highschool at all, all 3 of the state high schools in newcastle were so bad it was pointless going. One didn't even do a-levels as not enought people passed gcse.

They have since changed to the 2 school system that they have in south england and renamed the old high schools things like 'All Saints College' and 'Walbottle Campus'

Still shit holes.

HUFF. I live in the "all saints" town with All Saints Church and ALL Saints Rugby team yet how did you get All Saints school and we got stuck with "dioces of Peterborough" (which is about 30 miles away)

Oh and I took my GCSE's got shitty grades on (dumb and proud) but then got a certificate from the Welsh school board for outstanding achievment WTF:|

Azure posted on Sep 9 2006 at 04:44 PM said:
I guess my school's smaller then. Was it your first time on campus or something (I don't know about other schools, but here we have a thing called "Round-Up" where you go to your HS a couple weeks before school to get your yearbook picture taken, get your schedule, textbooks, etc. Though you're usually only there for ~45 minutes, you become familiar with the campus, so people hardly get lost)?

Yea, we had that too but it was crap. All we did was sit in our homeroom, then go to an assembly, and go home, no finding our classes or anything.

Loubear posted on Sep 10 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
Azure posted on Sep 9 2006 at 04:44 PM said:

Yea, we had that too but it was crap. All we did was sit in our homeroom, then go to an assembly, and go home, no finding our classes or anything.

Our school calls it enrollment. You go down there, stand in a long line, buy parking permits, sign that your info is correct, get your schedule, get your textbooks, and then do whatever you want after that. Some find their classes, some go home. It's not very organized at all.

Back