Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

i'm sorry, where do i get the latest gp2xkernal.img?

the patch i downloaded from archive.gp2x.de didn't look anything like that!

edit: i was downloading "patch20051117.zip" rather than "patch20051112.zip" ... my mistake!

Gentoo Linux
Corsair 1GB High-Speed 60x
FAT32

Success, but only once I switched from FAT16, and remembered to mkfs.msdos

Anybody have Kingston with 512 MB? :huh: I have two of them but I'm waiting for the arrive of the Gp2x so I don't know if works or not, seeing that 256, 1 and 2 GB have problems with that.

Another thought. I have now succesfully updated my firmware twice. I have never seen a "Succesful firmware update message".
If you do not see the success message then it is unlikely that you have successfully upgraded. Do you know of different information?

Yes. I have the updated loading screen. I have the flickery LCD. I also noticed the changes from the first firmware update (darker screen and the missing white line running up and down on the left of the LCD). I also haven't noticed the two halves of the screen at diffirent brightnesses since I did the first update on Saturday.

It could justbe that I have missed it twice, but all I've seen is the updating screen, never a success screen of any kind. It just starts booting up again right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
From everything I've read it looks like those with 2GB SD cards are out of luck until GPH updates firmware to support them. I did see a post in another thread from someone saying that they succesfully flashed their firmware from a 2GB SD card.

edit: Post #53 in an earlier thread about firmware updating speaks of success flashing with a 2GB card.
how about if you make a smaller partition on a 2+ Go card who doesn't work ? :)

It worked with the mini sd scandisk 64mo from my cell phone with an adapter, good to know :)

tried two 1GB A-data 150x cards (the pink ones) - FAILED [tried with formatting in my card reader, my monitor card reader, and my laptop card reader]

tried 1GB SanDisk Ultra II card (black ones) - SUCCESS [first try with formatting in my laptop reader (Dell 700m)]

unfortunately my crappy 128mb Pretec SD card isnt working properly (5 bucks from Fry's) so I couldn't try that.

/first post, glad to be aboard.

• Format your SD card using FAT32 (this is the normal filesystem for most windows machines, in OS X you may need to format it as MS-DOS but I can not confirm this),

I just found that this step is actually mandatory. It's not enough to have a FAT32-formatted card and empty it. Formatting the card seems to reset the FAT and ensures that the first file copied will be in first position.

With the new 1.0.1 version, you should see: black boot screen (for a couple of seconds), firmware update screen (I'd say for 10 seconds or so), then the new green screen with the number 1.0.1, then the orange menu.

If you don't see the firmware upgrade message, you probably need to format the card again and copy gp2xkernel.img again.

Hope his helps.

Back