Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

a little off topic, but are these just issues with upgrading firmware? I just bought a 2gb SD card and want to use it with my gp2x when it comes. I have some smaller sd cards around that I can use to flash firmware if there are issues flashing with the 2 gig card. I haven't seen anyone talk about using a 2gig card for general use, and was wondering if it's because they aren't supported yet?

From everything I've read it looks like those with 2GB SD cards are out of luck until GPH updates firmware to support them. I did see a post in another thread from someone saying that they succesfully flashed their firmware from a 2GB SD card.

edit: Post #53 in an earlier thread about firmware updating speaks of success flashing with a 2GB card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just tried with a PNY 1GB card. The GP2X seems to see the card ok, but following the upgrade procedure (for the 12/Nov patch, gp2xkernel.img) does the following:
  • The gp2xkernel.img file is deleted from the flash
  • The kernel is not upgraded.
Info tells me I'm running VERSION 1.0, MODEL GP2X - F100, S/N 2005.11.14 - GP2XV100 - 00000246.

Now what?

Grrrrrrr :huh: :angry:

Well, I just tried with a PNY 1GB card. The GP2X seems to see the card ok, but following the upgrade procedure (for the 12/Nov patch, gp2xkernel.img) does the following:
  • The gp2xkernel.img file is deleted from the flash
  • The kernel is not upgraded.
Info tells me I'm running VERSION 1.0, MODEL GP2X - F100, S/N 2005.11.14 - GP2XV100 - 00000246.

Now what?

Grrrrrrr :huh: :angry:
You didn't format it correctly. You need to make it FAT32.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i tried to do the firmware with a toshiba 512mb card, formatted in winxp in FAT32 and FAT and it didnt work either time and im slightly pissed off. i dont want to go out and buy another freakin SD card just to flash it

How are people formatting their cards? What operating system are you using?

Do you use WinXP/2000/98 ? fdisk/cfdisk/Disk Utility/Windows built in formatter?

Do you have a card reader built in, multi card reader or single card adapter?

If you successfully got the firmware to flash please post as much information as possible including production date/serial number people!

There must be a pattern...

Win Xp SP2
Shuttle X - Internal multi Card reader
My Computer / right click on drive - clicked on format FAT32
copied .img file across - switched on - Firmware Upgrade came on - it ran through, blanked the screen and then entered the menu.

GP2X - 18/11/2005 GP2XV102 00000642

Well, I tried formatting my card as "MSDOS" format using the OSX Disk Utility and a card reader ... and now my USB connection is lost again. The contents of the card are visible in the GP2X explorer, so it's a working format, but it's evidently not good enough either for updating the firmware or for access over USB.

As I am using windows 98se with a card reader, when I right click on the drive the only option in the menu to FORMAT then it formats to FAT not FAT32.

Does anyone know how I can get round this? Sorry for asking such a basic question.

EDIT:Typo

i fail to see how a DC adapter would help us when our SD cards dont work for updating.

All four units failed to update from batteries so what have you got to lose it could be a power issue some SD cards may need slightly more power

I'm pretty confident it's not power, though I wouldn't try the upgrade without fresh batteries. The GP2X is very sensitive about SD format: the problem seems to be discovering precisely what it's looking for, and how to give it that on every platform we have (Linux, WXP, WSE, OSX).

you have a point i suppose, so they didnt work before but did after huh? odd

Back