Firmware 3.0.0 Released

Welcome! I needed a firmware update from 2.0.0 so this helped. It was either this or 2.1.1.

I'm not sure, but it may be. An odd version number if that is all they added, but who knows.

Ah that makes sense then.

EDIT: I believe it comes with a few games on the NAND as well.

I like the new UI.

Looks like you gotta make new skins again though :)

Games on nand:

FloboPuyo
Noiz2sa (good call)
Payback Demo
Supertux
Vektar

Just recorded bootup and clocked it at 20 seconds. Feels a lot longer to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BlsCL06tuA

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't it take twice as long to boot too?

I say *JUST USE GMENU2X* it is way better anyway.

No, it doesn't take "twice as long" to boot, it's been timed... it's a difference of 2 seconds.

It's only a few seconds more. I took a look at it and the interface is a lot nicer. It also includes cpu clock adjustment for stuff like movie playback.

If this is what most people have pre-installed on their GP2X's it will most likely have to be supported by developers eventually. For example only, if a game was made for an earlier firmware and it didn't work on FW 3, then that developer not only gets complaints, but also loses out on potential users. So as a developer I like to make software for what the userbase has running. If it will be FW 3.x then that's what I will use. I hope there's no incompatibility of course.

Everything works so far so it seems to be a case of preference at this point.

To be honest, I rather have a pretty handheld that the kids buy, than a more functional handheld that isn't supported since there's no kids that are using it. ;)

Well, I'd rather not.

The GP32 and the '2X lose their Punk Rock appeal if the mainstream gets hold of it. I like the obscurity. :)

.. that said, I also wish they would have concentrated on that mystical commercial BOB we keep hearing about. Again, functionality over looks ...

The new menu looks pretty nice :) I'm using it just for ensured compatibility with future games I make, which I think is pretty important... my only complaint is that the default LCD setting was making my non-first edition MK1 screen go a bit crazy with scanlines (augh! 1.2 flashback!) but I got rid of them using the LCD adjustment menu.

How is GPH going to add functionality to their next firmwares when they've got the nand crammed with games? This is really a dumb move on their part.

Ey, WTF?! The main menu is garbled up!?

EDIT: Rebooted, upgraded again.. now the "continue upgrading image is different", but is still giving me a black screen while upgrading. Rebooted again. pressed exit, but works fine now.

How is GPH going to add functionality to their next firmwares when they've got the nand crammed with games? This is really a dumb move on their part.

I don't quite agree... what further functionality is going to be added at this point that would take up very much space? And in any case, they aren't somehow bound to distribute all these games on future releases, they could easily get rid of one of them and have a lot of room for added functionality.

Ey, WTF?! The main menu is garbled up!?

EDIT: Rebooted, upgraded again.. now the "continue upgrading image is different", but is still giving me a black screen while upgrading. Rebooted again. pressed exit, but works fine now.

The upgrade section of the firmware takes forever as stated in the readme.

It will chill at a black screen for about 3-5 minutes.

Which when your GP2X is flashing it feels like forever.

Back