Firmware 3.0.0 Released

Uh-oh guys... possible my-dev-setup-breaking-forever problem with this firmware... it seems the telnet and ftp servers are broken. I'm getting ping back through USB, but connection refused on FTP and Telnet, and yes I turned it on in the options :(

Back to 2.1.1 if a little investigation doesn't fix this.

How is GPH going to add functionality to their next firmwares when they've got the nand crammed with games? This is really a dumb move on their part.

I don't quite agree... what further functionality is going to be added at this point that would take up very much space? And in any case, they aren't somehow bound to distribute all these games on future releases, they could easily get rid of one of them and have a lot of room for added functionality.

The functionality I'm looking for is "not sucking" which could take quite a lot of space.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: This whining was me forgetting something silly. Not a bug in the firmware.

Yup, back to 2.1.1 for me, now that I turned on the ftp/telnet server, everything I do makes the menu crash (and the ftp/telnet server isn't working) :( I hope this is a result of a bad rip and not a bad firmware...

It's only a few seconds more. I took a look at it and the interface is a lot nicer. It also includes cpu clock adjustment for stuff like movie playback.

If this is what most people have pre-installed on their GP2X's it will most likely have to be supported by developers eventually. For example only, if a game was made for an earlier firmware and it didn't work on FW 3, then that developer not only gets complaints, but also loses out on potential users. So as a developer I like to make software for what the userbase has running. If it will be FW 3.x then that's what I will use. I hope there's no incompatibility of course.

Everything works so far so it seems to be a case of preference at this point.

There could be a problem with that too. What if the NES emu doesn't work on 3.0 but a new GBA emu won't work on 2.0? Then no matter what you do you will lose something. I guess the best way is to make it so that it works with both.

GPH should just get it over with and fix the boot scripts (so they are faster and don't depend on gp2xmenu), get rid of gp2xmenu, and bundle gmenu2x.

Ooops, cancel my previous whining. It was the old 2.4/2.6 kernel incompatibility problem, everything is fixed by running the g_ether.o replacement script. Bleh :)

For whatever it's worth guys, there's still 6.4MB free on the rootfs, and that's where any added capabilites are likely to need space.

Just wondering, isn't there a way around to get more than one firmware version on a unit? were we can choose the firmware to run at boot maybe (and thus making the GP2X as annoying as a PSP? :) )

Just wondering, isn't there a way around to get more than one firmware version on a unit? were we can choose the firmware to run at boot maybe (and thus making the GP2X as annoying as a PSP? :) )

Wow, it would be VERY sad if it came to that. Surely any firmware compatibility issues will be worked out before this becomes a necessity. That would just be too ridiculous...

Still using 2.0.0 that came on my GP2X. I have yet to feel a need to change. :)
Yeah me too, I would never upgrade unless I have a problem, not even for a tiny boost, might upgrade if a firmware version increased performence dramtically, which I don't think will happen.

I think the built in games is a good idea. It's great for newbies like my brother-in-law who knows he grab a GP2X and at least be able to get some enjoyment out of it straight away.

The emu and homebrew scene takes a while to get used to.

Wow, it would be VERY sad if it came to that. Surely any firmware compatibility issues will be worked out before this becomes a necessity. That would just be too ridiculous...
I think it would be a great idea if you could do that.
It would be better for testing new firmwares & if the new firmware messed up on install, it wouldn't brick your unit :)

No more bricking hurrah! :D

I think it would be a great idea if you could do that.
It would be better for testing new firmwares & if the new firmware messed up on install, it wouldn't brick your unit :)

No more bricking hurrah! :D

OK, let me clarify. It would be useful for testing purposes, but if end users had to load two or three firmwares that corresponded to compatibility for certain apps, that would blow.

But it really doesnt matter right now, because nothing is broken with 3.0.0.......nothing is broken, right?

havn't tried this yet, and not sure i will.

Just wanted to tell you that i found an official FW upgrade on the korean site...!!!
Cant get it where im atm, and i dont have my gp2x with me so no use trying...
Though it would be nice if someone would try it out...

Its FW 2.1.2
and whats the new thing with "FW 3.0" only a new skin?
or is a realy big change??

And whats this???
ok189_0711232148.jpg

Link cable? found on the korean comunity gallery!

Still using 2.0.0 that came on my GP2X. I have yet to feel a need to change. :)
Yeah me too, I would never upgrade unless I have a problem, not even for a tiny boost, might upgrade if a firmware version increased performence dramtically, which I don't think will happen.
I have the same train of thought. However 2.1.0 vastly improves SD read (/write?) speeds. Very useful for everything really, especially Neo Geo! Also, the menu no longer flickers. That being said, I'm now waiting for the next worthwhile upgrade.

- Alex

Okay, this FW3.0.0 release did not work for me.. i get this far:

tar: mnt/nand/Noiz2sa/noiz2sa.tar: input/output -- No space left on device

.. and then the GP2X is bricked .. through my cable, I see kernel crash messages every time I try to boot it .. so I'm just going to assume that this unofficial 3.0 release is borked, and will go back to 2.1 now for the time going .. sorry zodttd, but it doesn't work, and I wouldn't trust it ..

Back