Ff7 On The Wiz

Kwijibo

Still Fresh
I apologize if other people have posted about this, but I couldn't find any. Does anyone know if it is plausible that the Wiz would be able to run Final Fantasy 7? Thanks!

There is a PS1 emulator in development but I am doubtful that it will ever be cable of running games full speed. The last time I tried it I tested Ridge Racer and Crash Bandicoot, both ran at about 15 fps I believe, not exactly playable, but they looked great graphically so I was still impressed, hopefully development will continue to make improvements. I wouldn't hold your breathe though.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,171

Thanks for answering! I figured it would be a long shot, but I'll keep hoping lol

FF7 is working at a very good speed, the only problem is that you don´t have a very good sound, in fact it is horrible.

There are people working on the emulator, maybe we will see something better in the next weeks.

I have only the first disc on my Wiz (I use the Debug Room to get around to the other places), and it runs alright...

The emulation still needs improvement, but for the most part, it works for Final Fantasy 7.

Running PSX4Wiz at 800Mhz: FMVs get about 30FPS, Walking around (at least in the first reactor) gets about 35-40 at its highest, Going into battles gets 15FPS while the battles range between 20 and 30FPS. Your best bet is to play without sound, it will get annoying after a while with it stuttering (although this does not improve its speed, it still emulates the sound regardless if you have it on or not.)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies! I'm not getting my Wiz til Christmas, I'm just looking around and getting stuff ready so I know a bit about it before I get it. I actually have never played FF7 (I've been deprived, I know lol) I'd like it if the sound would be workable for my first time playing thru it, but if not I can deal with it. Another quick question; If the emulated were to be updated, would that possibly fix the sound issues? Or is it the Wiz's hardware that can't handle it?

Kwijibo said:
Thanks for the replies! I'm not getting my Wiz til Christmas, I'm just looking around and getting stuff ready so I know a bit about it before I get it. I actually have never played FF7 (I've been deprived, I know lol) I'd like it if the sound would be workable for my first time playing thru it, but if not I can deal with it. Another quick question; If the emulated were to be updated, would that possibly fix the sound issues? Or is it the Wiz's hardware that can't handle it?
I really wouldn't play it for the first time on the wiz. Especially if no one has played through the whole game on it yet (has anyone?), because it could stop working at some point and that would suck. But mainly just because you won't get the same experience with it being slower and without sound. If you have no other way to play it, perhaps you should look into emulating psx on your computer; that'd work a lot better. Of course, it's always possible that the psx emulator for the wiz could get better soon, but it doesn't look like it's going to be worked on very much, if at all (hope I'm wrong).

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like ZodTTD is planning on working on a PSX emulator for the Pandora. I gave him a shout in his blog comments not to forget all the Wiz users, hopefully we'll see some of the development he's doing for the Pandora help with further PSX4All as well, since the architecture between the two systems is somewhat similar. It'd be very sad if development stopped completely.

Yea I guess the emulator on pc might be the way to go for FF7. I'll just wait and see what happens when I finally get my Wiz. Thanks for the input, Absolofdoom!

Kwijibo said:
Yea I guess the emulator on pc might be the way to go for FF7. I'll just wait and see what happens when I finally get my Wiz. Thanks for the input, Absolofdoom!

You do realize if you're going to play it on your PC you don't have to emulate it at all. They made a legitimate PC version of the game years back. Although its pretty old and it used 3DFX which no longer exists so I'm not sure what would be involved getting it to run... come to think of it, it might even be more of a hassle. You know what? forget I said anything. Go ahead and emulate it on your PC. Do whatever it takes but you definitely should play this game at some point.

Tristor, I also really hope that the PSX emulator for the Wiz will continue to be worked on, thanks for posting on his blog!

MiOdd, thanks for the suggestion, I will do anything that's necessary to play the game! lol hopefully it'll be possible on the Wiz.

MiOdd said:
You do realize if you're going to play it on your PC you don't have to emulate it at all. They made a legitimate PC version of the game years back. Although its pretty old and it used 3DFX which no longer exists so I'm not sure what would be involved getting it to run... come to think of it, it might even be more of a hassle. You know what? forget I said anything. Go ahead and emulate it on your PC. Do whatever it takes but you definitely should play this game at some point.

Even if you could get it running I think playing it in an emulator would have more to offer. The music is just not the same, for one thing.

Exophase said:
Even if you could get it running I think playing it in an emulator would have more to offer. The music is just not the same, for one thing.

Totally agree with the musical aspect- I bought (read as downloaded) the game thinking it would be awesome to play it on the PC, but the music killed it for me... I was not about to go out of my way to rip the CDs I have of the Original Soundtrack (The soundtrack, I thought, was that awesome that I got it as a Christmas gift) and splice it into the game just to enjoy it... That was way too much work that I didn't want to do :p

Anyway, the only true roadblock that I'd see with trying to play it on the Wiz is trying to swap the discs when it asks for the next one. I know that they got it to work for PicoDrive's Sega Mega CD Emulation (Night Trap, Penn And Teller's Smoke and Mirrors, etc. all use this feature), so it would be possible to do, it just needs to be implemented later on (hopefully)...

Thanks for the input! Maybe I'll just look around and see if I can get the game for a reasonable price somewhere lol that way the music and everything will work fine and I'll get the full experience. Still hoping or it to eventually work well on the Wiz tho!

MkidTrigun said:
Anyway, the only true roadblock that I'd see with trying to play it on the Wiz is trying to swap the discs when it asks for the next one. I know that they got it to work for PicoDrive's Sega Mega CD Emulation (Night Trap, Penn And Teller's Smoke and Mirrors, etc. all use this feature), so it would be possible to do, it just needs to be implemented later on (hopefully)...

You don't need this feature for FF7. It lets you save inbetween CDs, so if you do so and quit the emulator you can start with the next CD next time you load.

Exophase said:
You don't need this feature for FF7. It lets you save inbetween CDs, so if you do so and quit the emulator you can start with the next CD next time you load.

That's right, I remember now... What the hell game was I thinking then? Was it one of the other Final Fantasy games on PSX?

I know that the first metal gear solid needed to change discs while running. My system would always crash when I did that for some reason, so I had to take my discs and memory card to a friend's house to change discs, then save the game again. Then I could play the 2nd disc fine at home.

Back