Wiz : Worth The Money ?

Of the two firmware bricks I've read, one was the result of a battery dying, WHICH IS WHY YOU NEVER UPDATE USING A BATTERY. The other one was a design mistake that overwrites the UBOOT, which is largely unnecessary and very stupid to do in the first place.
If you receive a Wiz now it should be on version 1.1.0 anyway.
As for the cable, they're sending replacement cables, so you'll probably get one of these when you buy one anyway, or you can ask for one.
Thanks for your answer. :)

What do you mean by "never update using a battery" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery can die during a firmware update, if that happens you have a bricked unit.
So you should always use a persistent power connection when updating the firmware, using a DC mains or the USB cable.

If you're that worried about updating, always wait for others to update first, and see if its safe. GPH have a track record of having problems getting their systems started, but they'll hopefully learn not to do stupid things like overwrite the UBOOT.

I see... Thanks a lot ! :)

On another subject, can it run Day of the tentacle/Monkey island using Scummvm ?

I'm still looking for an answer, so if anybody tried to run them... Feel free to comment. ;)

On another subject, can it run Day of the tentacle/Monkey island using Scummvm ?
I'm still looking for an answer, so if anybody tried to run them... Feel free to comment. ;)

There is an early Scumm port from DJWillis out. The two games are supported, but there are still some issues with the port. But I've no doubt John will fix these over time...

Regards,
Stephan

I'm still looking for an answer, so if anybody tried to run them... Feel free to comment. ;"]
There is an early Scumm port from DJWillis out. The two games are supported, but there are still some issues with the port. But I've no doubt John will fix these over time...

Regards,
Stephan[/quote]Understood. Thank you for your answer. :)

I'll stop bothering you all for a while now : thanks to everybody that posted in this thread. :p

I'm still looking for an answer, so if anybody tried to run them... Feel free to comment. ;"]

Regards,
Stephan[/quote]Understood. Thank you for your answer. :"]

I'll stop bothering you all for a while now : thanks to everybody that posted in this thread. :p[/quote]Personally, I haven't touched the firmware on mine. I haven't really seen any MAJOR changes that make me want to update, and with all the bricked units from accidental mis-updates, I think I'll keep mine just the way it is.

other than that, I haven't had a single problem with my wiz.

Also, I've dropped it now twice, once from chest-level (I was trying to put it in my shirt pocket - FAIL) and it did bounce once or twice, but it came out of it perfectly, with a scratch or two on the case. It didn't even reboot when I dropped it, although the SD card did fly out and land somewhere across the street. =P

Back