Ability To Play Wiz Games On Pc?

fett42

I know it may seem like a silly question since most people want to use their Wiz to play games made specifically for those consoles. Part of the lure of the Wiz is the portability factor. However, my Wiz is currently not working. I hope to get it repaired or replaced ASAP, but this of course could take quite a while. The reason I want to find out if it is possible to play a Wiz game on PC is because I bought Wind & Water: Puzzle Battles the other day for the Wiz. I am currently in the middle of Story Mode and enjoying the game immensely. Of course I'll live if I can't play the game again for a while, but I'd love to be able to continue playing the game even though my Wiz is out of commission.

So is there a way to play Wiz games on a PC? Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Peter R said:
If the game is ported over, yes. Your Wiz binaries, No.

Well theoretically..... We need to make the Wiz Kernel bootable under QEmu (e.g.). Would be great for developement, speed measurement, profiling etc.
This would cut down development times a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anes Lihovac said:
Well theoretically..... We need to make the Wiz Kernel bootable under QEmu (e.g.). Would be great for developement, speed measurement, profiling etc.
This would cut down development times a lot.

That would require emulation of at least the Wiz 2D video hardware as well, and would not work with qemu when using user mode emulation (would need to be using system emulation).

qemu is very unreliable for benchmarking. The emulation is not performed under any notion of emulated system timing parameters, instead synchronizing purely to host system timing. That is, unless things have changed - if they have I'm sure Laurent will stop by to correct me. It also wouldn't give you any meaningful profiling statistics for hardware events, like cache misses and whatnot. Developing a timing accurate emulator for a platform like this is very difficult and the result would be very slow (although correct). In my opinion you'd get significantly more mileage out of benchmarking on a PC and dividing by some fixed number, and that's not saying a lot. Ultimately nothing (currently) can really replace the real machine for benchmarking, even for comparing relative performance.

For the above reasons I wouldn't even feel comfortable using qemu to develop unless I knew that qemu was emulating a machine consistently much faster than the Wiz, which I doubt it could sustain even on a high end PC. If your algorithm requires that so many instructions run inbetween real world intervals and this isn't met then your code could break, as opposed to just running more slowly as would be the case if the internal events occurred in emulated time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back