Does Wiz Run Semi 3D Games?

Q_Bert_Ds

Still Fresh
I just ordered my Wiz today. I used to own a Dingoo A320 and one of the main reasons I bought the Wiz was because I thought it would play the semi 3d games (I think its called mode 7, which I know it plays but I don't know if star fox and games like it are mode 7). So does it play Star fox and Donkey Kong Country and all the games the dingoo couldn't?

Q_Bert_Ds said:
I just ordered my Wiz today. I used to own a Dingoo A320 and one of the main reasons I bought the Wiz was because I thought it would play the semi 3d games (I think its called mode 7, which I know it plays but I don't know if star fox and games like it are mode 7). So does it play Star fox and Donkey Kong Country and all the games the dingoo couldn't?
If you mean to emulate SNES's modes, then yes, it runs Star Fox, Super Mario Kart and DK Country - those SuperFX (StarFox, Super mario RPG) emulates pocketsnes

Last edited by a moderator:
:SaS:*rbusa said:
Q_Bert_Ds said:
If you mean to emulate SNES's modes, then yes, it runs Star Fox, Super Mario Kart and DK Country - those SuperFX (StarFox, Super mario RPG) emulates pocketsnes

starfox and pilotwings are way too slow to be playable :(
but DK Country, F-zero and other games run perfectly. the WIZ hw is much stronger than Dingoo. my GF has a Dingoo, and playing GBA games (Crash series for example) causes slowdowns from time to time, this never happens on WIZ

Q_Bert_Ds said:
Okay is more of a run down for you Q_bert

Donkey Kong Country 1 is very playable with pocketsnesFast.gpe
Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 I cannot get to load with pocketsnes.gpe or pocketsnesfast.gpe = If someone knows how or maybe I have bad rom dumps let me know
Star Fox will only load with pocketsnes.gpe, it will play with fast mode in that but it is very unplayable. Without sound and no frameskip only 5-10fps during mission 1. I have my Wiz overclocked to 770Mhz also.
Super Mario RPG is very playable with pocketsnesfast.gpe at 770Mhz no frameskip with sound at 320kps!

Will test Mario Kart and report back.

The Emulators I am running are the current version from the Archive with a version number of 6.5.0

EDIT: Mario Kart runs in pocketsnesfast.gpe with sound and no frameskip gets around an average of about 37fps on 50cc Mushroom cup first track. Not very playable in my opinion.
I wish someone would port a fast better SNES emulator. Mortal Kombat 2 doesn't even load for me, of course I haven't tried the Picodrive version.

ALSO I'd like to add I have only had my Wiz since Saturday and I am pleasantly surprised. Quake 2 runs amazing compared to the PSP port. I believe some of the issues with the emulators running laggy and having compatibility issues has to due with the issue in programming for the Wiz. Also other devices have stolen the thunder from the Wiz whether people like to admit or not.

Derek said:
Q_Bert_Ds said:

Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 I cannot get to load with pocketsnes.gpe or pocketsnesfast.gpe = If someone knows how or maybe I have bad rom dumps let me know
Star Fox will only load with pocketsnes.gpe, it will play with fast mode in that but it is very unplayable. Without sound and no frameskip only 5-10fps during mission 1. I have my Wiz overclocked to 770Mhz also.
Super Mario RPG is very playable with pocketsnesfast.gpe at 770Mhz no frameskip with sound at 320kps!

The Emulators I am running are the current version from the Archive with a version number of 6.5.0

EDIT: Mario Kart runs in pocketsnesfast.gpe with sound and no frameskip gets around an average of about 37fps on 50cc Mushroom cup first track. Not very playable in my opinion.
I wish someone would port a fast better SNES emulator. Mortal Kombat 2 doesn't even load for me, of course I haven't tried the Picodrive version.

ALSO I'd like to add I have only had my Wiz since Saturday and I am pleasantly surprised. Quake 2 runs amazing compared to the PSP port. I believe some of the issues with the emulators running laggy and having compatibility issues has to due with the issue in programming for the Wiz. Also other devices have stolen the thunder from the Wiz whether people like to admit or not.
I did overclock to 800MHz stable and runs like real SNES (60 FPS)

Derek said:
Q_Bert_Ds said:

I did overclock to 800MHz stable and runs like real SNES (60 FPS)
What ran like real SNES? What settings are you using? Cause I can OC to 770 which is only 30Mhz difference from you so I doubt you made a game that I claim has a low framerate that much higher (Playable) with just a 30Mhz extra OC. Most of the games that I played other than the SuperFX games play perfect if they play. For some reason I can't Mortal Kombat 2 or MK3 Ultimate to load on either SNES Emu Version.

Excellent. That's really good news. Im especially excited at the fact that it runs Mario RPG well. The dingoo didnt have nearly enough power to do that, which dissapointed me of course. Thanks a lot, my wiz should arrive here today or tommorow fyi.

Q_Bert_Ds said:
Excellent. That's really good news. Im especially excited at the fact that it runs Mario RPG well. The dingoo didnt have nearly enough power to do that, which dissapointed me of course. Thanks a lot, my wiz should arrive here today or tommorow fyi.
Sorry to bring you down but I have been playing the emulator more and more. The sound is not so hot even at 44khz. Its distorted a little and the different sounds do not sound like the SNES Original (which in my opinion most other emulators seem to do pretty good). Also it can't run some games 60FPS all the time and others it can. Example, it seems to run Super Castlevania at pretty much 60FPS all the time but Super Metroid it runs that at anywhere between 40FPS-60FPS. For example it runs the little cutscene at 60FPS but wwhen the green text is going across the screen it drops down to low 50s. Then once you get dropped into the game its at like 45FPS. So I ran through and got to Zebes and when you come out of the ship and it is raining its getting 43FPS there, this is at 770Mhz OC. If I do stock clock I only get 33FPS. If I remember correctly the PSP did better then this at only 333Mhz (not sure if the Media processor was used in the PSP). Other emulators run so much better than this like the Sega Genesis emulator runs all games at 60FPS at least all the games I tried. So I know the SNES EMULATOR can be better!

Back