Fba2x - Finalburn Alpha Beta 7.2

fusion_power said:
narmak said:
Guwange runs pretty fast for me, but it always starts stuttering and then freezes my gp. Do i need to overclock to run it well?
I've tried this interesting game overclocked at 266MHz, FPS varies between 30-60 so it is good playable. "Dodonpachi" plays Full Speed at 200MHz, I couldn't see, that Guwange is graphical or technical more advanced, maybe Dodonpachi uses a more effective Engine (???)

Oh, Guwange freezes to, at the first Boss in my case. Maybe a later FBA update could make this game run stable and fast as the other Cave Shooters?

Hmmm...I wonder if it is an issue with the way the game is cached. If you don't cache it you'll get the corrupt gfx and it will play smooth. If you cache it, it will look great, but you'll have to OC fairly high to get near full speed. I'm sure this will all be sorted out. If not it's still a fantastic emulator and the work HOH has put into this is freaking amazing. Very much appreciated!

EDIT: Yes Guwange also crashes for me at the 1st level boss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice release , service mode is great for cps2 games which are too hard (progear, gigawing), or too easy (vampire savior) on default mode. And for some eason I enjoy it much more when playing on free / home mode on arcade emus , rather than inserting coins 1 by 1.

Only things I can think of to make it even better , which is already my most played emulator , are

-Probably the simplest and the most benefical request.Allow configuring the default controls and also save key settings for each game. The current one is not good for fighting games and I am having a very difficult time to perform "hissatsu waza-super moves" in vampire and sf games. Use of shoulder buttons left for strong punch and right for strong kick and 4 button abxy for middle and weak punch/kicks is the most suitable I think

- Being able to recognize and play all versions of roms included in the rom file , such as Jp,Asia, Euro etc. ; not just only US ones. I don"t think it would be much hard to include (tell me if I"m mistaken i"m not good at technical stuff though)

- Wondered if it would be possible to play games such as Dragon Blaze and Vasara

Thanks very much for the fantastic work and to all who have contributed to this glorious emulator. You rock guys !!

Alghazanth said:
- Being able to recognize and play all versions of roms included in the rom file , such as Jp,Asia, Euro etc. ; not just only US ones. I don"t think it would be much hard to include (tell me if I"m mistaken i"m not good at technical stuff though)

there is nothing about the emu that force you to play US version of games. its up to you to have the right rom and child roms

jbrodack said:
Alghazanth said:

there is nothing about the emu that force you to play US version of games. its up to you to have the right rom and child roms

Are you sure about that. My cps2 roms contain all regions availible in the rom file and works ok in all pc emulators but when I put them on gp2x only us versions are shown. Yes , I just checked and see that only one version of each roms is shown.

When I asked about this in one of the previous release threads (cant find it at the moment sorry) someone has answered that it is normal that only one version is shown and the list is even made smaller by him to make only most compatible versions or something like that. Anyone have more info on this

Alghazanth said:
jbrodack said:
Are you sure about that. My cps2 roms contain all regions availible in the rom file and works ok in all pc emulators but when I put them on gp2x only us versions are shown. Yes , I just checked and see that only one version of each roms is shown.

When I asked about this in one of the previous release threads (cant find it at the moment sorry) someone has answered that it is normal that only one version is shown and the list is even made smaller by him to make only most compatible versions or something like that. Anyone have more info on this

I didn't really use CAPEX on the previous versions, so I don't know back then, but on this current version, for the ROM sets I have tested, it shows all of them including the clones.

How are your ROM sets formatted? Are they split sets, merged sets, or non-merged sets. If they were merged into one ZIP file per game, then only the parent would be shown.

You can also check if your CAPEX's database have the clone entries by changing the "Listing view" settings to "All". This should show all the ROM sets in its database, and it would indicate which ROM sets it has detected as present or not.

Manjuu said:
Alghazanth said:
jbrodack said:

I didn't really use CAPEX on the previous versions, so I don't know back then, but on this current version, for the ROM sets I have tested, it shows all of them including the clones.

How are your ROM sets formatted? Are they split sets, merged sets, or non-merged sets. If they were merged into one ZIP file per game, then only the parent would be shown.

You can also check if your CAPEX's database have the clone entries by changing the "Listing view" settings to "All". This should show all the ROM sets in its database, and it would indicate which ROM sets it has detected as present or not.

Umm yes my roms are in a single zip , including all versions of the roms file. In fact I"ve built them myself by hand by downloading the parent rom and all the clones , unzipping them all , putting all to one single folder and zipping it and naming it as the parent rom. This way they all work good in Mameplus but I"m not that good at arcade emulation so it is possible that something was wrong. If I was to put parent rom and other small "clones" as different zip files would it also work , or is it the way to go for fba2x ?
It seems either way I have to tidy my fba2x roms hmm. thanks for the help

you want the regional or clone versions to be in separate zips from the parent. like say you want to play a Japanese version of a game called alien. you'd have the parent rom which would be alien.zip and the japan version which would be alienj.zip which would be smaller than the parent and have the regional information thats different from the parent.

so basically, everything in the same zip is bad if you want to play a specific version

Is it possible that FBA can detect the different ROM-region-versions IN the Zip-Files? I only have merged ROMS and it would be good if the Emulator could handle merged Roms like split sets, maybe a later update of the Emulator could handle this? Would be a great improvement I think. :)

fusion_power said:
Is it possible that FBA can detect the different ROM-region-versions IN the Zip-Files? I only have merged ROMS and it would be good if the Emulator could handle merged Roms like split sets, maybe a later update of the Emulator could handle this? Would be a great improvement I think. :)
FBA doesn't care as long as all the data is in the parent, I think. I just tested the win32 version with all regions of a game in the same file and it recognized and played them individually. FBACapex, however, will not see that you have the game available in the listing. I just tested it with the list all setting and you can't pick a game it can't see a zip for. So, you could create blank zip files such that Capex would pick up on it in the list. It's just a matter of sending a parm to FBA.

fusion_power said:
Yes, it could be a CAPEX Problem. ^_^ I should test the Idea with the blank Files.
quick way to create the blank zip files in windows (from fba rom dir):

for /f "usebackq delims=," %x in (..\zipname.fba) do copy NUL %x.zip

back up your originals first :) then just drop them back in overwriting the blanks

In order to load quicker I'm sure fbacapex just looks for the zip files and doesn't search for whats in them.

anyway just seems best to have clones in separate files if you'd have to create blank files anyway.

I have a question. Is there any list of games compatible with FBA2x? I saw one, but It hasn't been updated for a very long time...It seemed, that D&D 2 (sequel of "Tower of Doom") wasn't working.
Can anybody write if there (in FBA2x) is a full MAME games list, but only some of them are working? It means I can try to run e.g. "Die Hard Arcade" or "Cruisin' USA" but they will be just so slow that unplayable (or, probably, not even working)? Or maybe the program just won't even see these roms?

finally got to my gp2x to try this but alas I'm having the same problem as the gentleman with the f200 (only mine is an mk2).

I've cached the roms (ddp, esprade, ...) and all went well. loading seems to work (only it's a bit quick? loads one gauge or two maybe). then screen goes black indefinitely. :(

mame4all and previous fba have worked fine...

please haelp

nim said:
finally got to my gp2x to try this but alas I'm having the same problem as the gentleman with the f200 (only mine is an mk2).

I've cached the roms (ddp, esprade, ...) and all went well. loading seems to work (only it's a bit quick? loads one gauge or two maybe). then screen goes black indefinitely. :(

mame4all and previous fba have worked fine...

please haelp
Is there a need to generate a cache for those ROMs you mentioned? The games that need cache files are the large NeoGeo games, some of the PGM games, and Guwange.

When the cache files were generated, did the output in the command prompt show all the files needed were found (i.e. ROM files, parent set, BIOS files)? It sometimes still creates a cache even though there are missing files, which fails when you try to play it.

Back