Faster delivery upgrade-Information (2012-03-06)

I guess we should call the next pandora 'cockroach' so it never even 'dies' in the first place.

Vita means life in latin so it must be better.Then again the pandora can "Re-birth" itself and rise from the ashes like an admittedly German Phoenix.

Then we'll have to wait on Craig and Link's army invading Normandy. This is going to be awhile :(

Let the jew-cy Pandoras free!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess we should call the next pandora 'cockroach' so it never even 'dies' in the first place.
ha ha ha ha ha ha!! no! xD

Vita? Blah.. no keyboard no sale.
Vita means life in latin so it must be better.Then again the pandora can "Re-birth" itself and rise from the ashes like an admittedly German Phoenix.
I like that idea. Why dont we name the openPandora2 "openPhoenix"?? I like how it sounds. It would fit perfectly into the theme of old legends like Pandoras Box and you could do a lot of awesome artworks!!!!! ; )

I like that idea. Why dont we name the openPandora2 "openPhoenix"?? I like how it sounds. It would fit perfectly into the theme of old legends like Pandoras Box and you could do a lot of awesome artworks!!!!! ; )

Firefox' original name was Pheonix, but they had to change the name to Firebird due to copyright issues. Likewise with Firebird, which is why it's called Firefox.

I can't think of this project as Pandora's box, since I can't seem to find it anywhere.

openPhoenix would be a combination of words and I think similar names can exist if the products are different and not mistakable for each other. I could be wrong there though - Im not a lawyer.

did you already look under your bed? : p

Firefox' original name was Pheonix, but they had to change the name to Firebird due to copyright issues. Likewise with Firebird, which is why it's called Firefox.
I'm nitpicking, but that's trademark, not copyright. ;)

I couldn't find any particular thing called "phoenix" when I searched. The first thing (besides the mythological creature) that came up was Phoenix, Arizona, and then I see a TON of things in the Wikipedia disamburgation page that have "phoenix" in their names.

How the hell can someone (in this case, Phoenix Technologies) claim trademark on a word, anyway?! That really needs to be disputed. What's next, some company called "The Dog Company" is going to claim trademark on the word "dog"?

openPhoenix would be a combination of words and I think similar names can exist if the products are different and not mistakable for each other. I could be wrong there though - Im not a lawyer.

did you already look under your bed? : p

No, that's where the monsters hide. If there's a Pandora down there they probably have eaten it by now.

I couldn't find any particular thing called "phoenix" when I searched. The first thing (besides the mythological creature) that came up was Phoenix, Arizona, and then I see a TON of things in the Wikipedia disamburgation page that have "phoenix" in their names.

How the hell can someone (in this case, Phoenix Technologies) claim trademark on a word, anyway?! That really needs to be disputed. What's next, some company called "The Dog Company" is going to claim trademark on the word "dog"?

You're right, it's trademark.

My point is that if someone like Mozilla doesn't want to dispute the case, the OP team is a bit smaller and probably wouldn't want to do that either. It would probably cost a lot of money in legal expenses.

How about OpenSisyphus?

Naming it after our revered moderator?!...

I was thinking Argo because:

ship --> journey --> portable

crewed by heroes --> ED, Craig, all the devs

Ar-go --> our (community/open) + go (portable, progress)

golden, flying sheep

I just upgraded and wondering if I get my pandora _before_ next Olympics ;)

The issue was that there was another web browser at the time named Phoenix which would invariably lead to confusion. I'm not sure where the Wiki got the idea that Phoenix Technologies had anything to do with it, because they didn't, there was another browser at the time named Phoenix.

I can't read the citation, but I did have the other Phoenix web browser installed for a while IIRC. But that was over a decade ago, and I can't find any links.

Back