Even Star Trek Wasn't Perfect

fade said:
mali said:
I can't get this one scene out of my head. Does someone remember the episode, where Data fights Moriarty? Moriarty is on the holodeck and draws a sketch of the Enterprise. Data takes it and walks off to the bridge to show the drawing to Picard. How is it possible that the paper with the sketch continues its existence outside the holodeck without holotransmitter?!
Ah good point! I remember that ep an i never thought of that! Moriarty was great in it, what ended up happening to him?

He held the Enterprise hostage to make them figure out how to get him off the holodeck, and they wound up tricking him into stepping into another holodeck. Then they took out the memory of that holodeck, plugged it into a machine that would effectively give him full access to "explore the galaxy" (he thought they had given him a shuttle and everything) and then I guess it was stuck in a drawer and left alone till it ran out of battery power or something, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it possible that the paper with the sketch continues its existence outside the holodeck without holotransmitter?!

They make it clear that while most of the things you see are holographic projections, other things are actually replicated physical objects.

yashton said:
How is it possible that the paper with the sketch continues its existence outside the holodeck without holotransmitter?!

They make it clear that while most of the things you see are holographic projections, other things are actually replicated physical objects.

I find that kind of far-fetched. Wenn they turn off the holodeck, there is nothing in there any more. There would always lie around certain things on the floor, if the holodeck itself could replicate physical objects. Moriarty wasn't aware, that his world was just a holographic projection, at that point. He just took a sheet of paper and a pen and drew that sketch. Somebody would have had to replace that piece of paper and pen with replicated versions.

I agreee that the technical explanations for the Holodeck are fairly strained. They use a combination of flat holographic displays (on the walls), holographic projectors, replicators and low-power tractor beams to hold people in one spot and manipulate objects.

According to the book, characters are flaccid and lifeless bodies brought to life with many small tractor beams... like puppets. I find that slightly creepy to be honest! It doesn't adequately explain how multiple people use the same holodeck though - the only explanation I can think of is that it creates holo-cubicals that get shifted around and reorganised when people want to leave or enter.

I don't want to piss on anyone's parade (but I'm gonna :p )

... it's a story! What ever they want to happen, they can make happen and describe it after the fact.
It's plausible deniability, as long as it doesn't contradict existing stories.

Trying to figure out how to do that stuff in the real world is what is driving physics and Comp.sci forwards but they don't have to match it to a story ;)

Way to point out the obvious!

:p

Okay, anyone without an imagination has to leave the thread.

gp32rich said:
... it's a story! What ever they want to happen, they can make happen and describe it after the fact.

You should read some hard sci-fi. Most of those authors will write their stories around known scientific laws and theorems, not the other way around.

Ravnos said:
gp32rich said:
You should read some hard sci-fi. Most of those authors will write their stories around known scientific laws and theorems, not the other way around.I am a sci-fi fan.
I just hate the 'star trek is sooo real :wub:' fanboi-ism

I don't care for Sci-fi based on fact.
I want to have to suspend my belief.
I prefer it as outlandish and fictional as possible.
Two minutes in the future is so yesterday ;)

Or to (mis)quote paraphrase Clarke: Any technology sufficiently advanced would appear as magic.

If it inspires tomorrows scientists to create wonders, even better.

This is gold:

29RX7Vw.jpg

I kinda agree with TrashyMG on this one. Most/all of the original participants are inactive, so I can't reply to them and expect a response from them.

Also, the conversation you posted seems very logically flawed.

I kinda agree with TrashyMG on this one. Most/all of the original participants are inactive, so I can't reply to them and expect a response from them.
You know what?
Fine, lock more threads then and put them in an archive, maybe this would tidy things up a bit as well.
Imho locking things up (which is the same as spamming "Necro Necro!") is worse since it cripples the whole thing.
I'm still against having thousands of threads in a board with way less topics, it's just messy.

BTW: Yes, I consider Trashy's post as spam and mine as in exactly the right place.

Necro or not - I want this book now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back