Enhancing desktop; Visuals, tweaks and installed software.

As for boot animation, can't it be set up so that if you hit a specific key it makes the pretty picture go away?  This may also be user modifiable.
Why spend resources on it, if the only reaons for it is
There is a practical purpose for both of these, and it is the same as the lit logo on the case, branding.
which as true as it may be, is the most lousy reaon I could currently think of.

As for boot animation, can't it be set up so that if you hit a specific key it makes the pretty picture go away?  This may also be user modifiable. 
Boot animations are horrible ideas coming from consoles. It's cool the first 2 times you see it, it gets super boring the 3rd and it gets on everyone's nerve from the 4th.

It's not called branding, it's called annoying.  

My tuppence-worth.

I think the minimal approach is best, I agree that keeping it modular and simple can avoid problems later.

One idea that jumped out at me as a good one was the idea of an intro video though. As long as it is not too big a file (lower quality?) that would be a very nice way to greet new users. Perhaps a low res,

As to the cosmetics, I think it might be nice to create a Pyra specific theme to have it's own identity rather than just use an off-the-shelf theme?

We all have equipment with usb, and that is ok enough, even though it doesnt supply the full monty. Mostly everyone has high current usb chargers already, so the adapter is very much an optional thing. Not only is that good for the environmental point, it is less sourcing of components for ED, less bulk in packing, etc.

How i think the backlit logo is a good example, isnt of how i dislike it greatly, because i do, but i _wouldnt_ if i liked the logo. Well i would, still, because it hasnt got a obvious purpose to me, but not as much.

It wouldnt feel as much like advertizing something if the logo was something i could be proud of. Advertizing is a word that is apt here, because it carries negative connotations, allthough im happy to advertize other things about the pyra.

It is implied that the bootup animation and/or sound would have to be good to be used. It is a very alternative point, not a must. But it doesn't mean there is no point in trying. How about scrapping the idea for bootup, unless there is something extremely good produced, and instead have a default one with picture/animation that can be used for ingame-efforts?

Where there are two programs or more ive included some options, i cant decide, maybe you can? (that was the point in asking)

Last edited by a moderator:
Boot animations are horrible ideas coming from consoles. It's cool the first 2 times you see it, it gets super boring the 3rd and it gets on everyone's nerve from the 4th.

How about showing it on first boot only, then switch to something like Pandora's boot screen for later boots. Of course it would be user configurable, so user can choose to have the animation and/or sound if he/she really wants to (could be part of first boot configuration dialogs).

Adding something new-user-friendly to the list for editor.

Grench:

No, i preferred the way the first pandora orders were shipped, standard brown cardboard box that could be recycled.

The hardened case is optional, but nevertheless my ideal idea of unboxing.

Didnt envision sending the case as the package, but that could work.

Edit: We have to imply the bulk price is somewhat less than the 1pc retail price on the t2000. However.

The work required to print out quickstart guide, put it in the case, design a case, also costs money, adds time, and is a potential fail.

The wooden cases for example, had a habit of either getting crushed, or crushing the contents.

Moreover, cardboard, while good, fails easier. The s3 t2000 case is waterproof (i think) and also protective. Which means less returns in the long run.

Since there is no AC adaptor this time around, it can be that small, which is smaller than equivalent cardboard ordeal, in turn saving postage.

A point could be made of this to not only have the case be recyclable, but also reusable.

And most importantly, getting two such cases myself yesterday, they add a quality feel to the experience.

Silent-hunter: Vi is installed per default, but for new-users its a bit too daunting. Also it reminds me of broken xorg, want something easy and plesant.

Vi(m) is very good at being an editor, but we have to cater to the people like me, who cant accept that in their life.
So, to summarize...

You want the thing to ship in a 20EUR siege case that you think is neat, but exclude shipping a 2EUR 2A AC to USB adapter because it is too expensive or you yourself don't need one - even though it's fairly well required to charge the unit prior to use.

Please excuse me while I go mumble incoherently.

Next?

Why spend resources on it, if the only reaons for it is
There is a practical purpose for both of these, and it is the same as the lit logo on the case, branding.
which as true as it may be, is the most lousy reaon I could currently think of.

To clarify:  I may be wrong, but I thought this sort of stuff would be handled by the OS.  I have never booted a pure Debian install, so I don't know what sort of bootscreen it has.  I wasn't proposing adding anything, just customizing what is present.

Do most people disable the Pandora loading bar thingy?

I agree that branding can be annoying, and that the user shouldn't be required to sit through what is essentially an advertisement while waiting for the machine to boot if they don't want to.  I guess I fell into the hypocritical way of thinking "it is bad when other people do it, but good when I do it".  With the case logo at least we can cover it, or print up cases without it eventually.  I would like people to see my glowing logo and come up to me and ask what it is.  That might lead to additional sales, which could mean future devices like this, or new versions.

Grench:

No, i preferred the way the first pandora orders were shipped, standard brown cardboard box that could be recycled.

Edit: We have to imply the bulk price is somewhat less than the 1pc retail price on the t2000. However.

The work required to print out quickstart guide, put it in the case, design a case, also costs money, adds time, and is a potential fail.

The wooden cases for example, had a habit of either getting crushed, or crushing the contents.

Moreover, cardboard, while good, fails easier. The s3 t2000 case is waterproof (i think) and also protective. Which means less returns in the long run.

Since there is no AC adaptor this time around, it can be that small, which is smaller than equivalent cardboard ordeal, in turn saving postage.

A point could be made of this to not only have the case be recyclable, but also reusable.

And most importantly, getting two such cases myself yesterday, they add a quality feel to the experience.

Silent-hunter: Vi is installed per default, but for new-users its a bit too daunting. Also it reminds me of broken xorg, want something easy and plesant.

Vi(m) is very good at being an editor, but we have to cater to the people like me, who cant accept that in their life.
 So, to summarize...

You want the thing to ship in a 20EUR siege case that you think is neat, but exclude shipping a 2EUR 2A AC to USB adapter because it is too expensive or you yourself don't need one - even though it's fairly well required to charge the unit prior to use.

Next?
No.

Case (O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L CHOICE)

t2000 has more uses, adds additional value to the experience, protects against things longterm.

cardboard becomes an novelty item you have to keep because its "original" Therefore plain cardboard best.

Charger (O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L)

Potential for fail, adds bulk in shipping, people may have it already, complicates sourcing, stocking, more work packaging.

The choice here would be a tiny flexible ribbon usb cable. Which has less potential for fail, and is portable.

Going back to the most important part of that first screenshot: how awesome would it be if the Pyra could play Dota 2? (no, not when hand-held - when connected to stuff - wouldn't need any other computer then)

I wonder if it would be hard to jump to the universe in which Valve makes a low-powered ARM version...

Grench:

So, to summarize...

Next?
No.

Case (O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L CHOICE)

t2000 has more uses, adds additional value to the experience, protects against things longterm.

cardboard becomes an novelty item you have to keep because its "original" Therefore plain cardboard best.

Charger (O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L)

Potential for fail, adds bulk in shipping, people may have it already, complicates sourcing, stocking, more work packaging.

The choice here would be a tiny flexible ribbon usb cable. Which has less potential for fail, and is portable.
If ED decides to sell siege cases for the Pyra, at a profit of course, from his store, that is 100% fine.  They should not, however, be the default shipping material/crate.

Nobody has ever said you -had- to keep the original box that anything came in.  I don't buy electronics with the intent of re-boxing them and selling them 'as new'.  If you do, then that is fraud.  I buy them with the intent on 'using them up'.

A charger adapter is REQUIRED to use the unit.  We don't know the exact specifics of the Pyra yet.  From the specs we've seen so far, though, it will likely require a 2A @5VDC charger in order to recharge in any sane amount of time.  The normal USB port on a computer is only capable of one quarter of that (500mA).  A computer's USB connection might be enough juice to maintain charge while doing nearly nothing (MP3 playback?) but isn't going to 'charge' the unit in that scenario.

Take a good look at the USB chargers you have lying around.  Odds are they vary greatly in capability.  500mA, 700mA, 1A, 1.5A, 2A, 2.1A are all relatively common.  It's hard to read the labels on them though - so it's unlikely that the normal user is going to know which one they should use or that the adapter they have for their 3 year old smartphone isn't enough juice to do the job.

The Pyra should ship with an AC to 2A 5VDC USB charger adapter - preferably with ED's branding on it.  Otherwise he's going to get a ton of 'won't charge' out of the box returns of 100% functioning Pyras just because the end user didn't happen to have the right charger.

Its an idea, and thats how it came across to me, so thats how i presented it. I see a point in the protective case. The case that is just fabric isnt a compelling difference to just having it in my pocket.  Pandoras have been water damaged, they have broken in shipping, everyone is better off when that happens less.

Packaging has novelty value for me, but i dont _want_ it to be that way. It enters my life and becomes utterly pointless. As such, i think its more of a burden. -But kingu, why dont... Because affectional value and im not perfect.

The idea isnt to sell things "as new", its to keep most of their pristine state, rather than the turn-key moment at which your device loses value, not only monetary so. I have plenty vinyls that i havent opened too btw. A unit that isnt set up to be in a box is a unit meant to be used, and thats a good point to communicate.

Screen/dust protection instinctivly does the opposite to my subconscious mind.

USB 3.1 does 2 Ampere at 5 Volt, USB 3.0 does 0.9A  and USB 2.0 does 0.5A@5v  if you "just plug it in" worst case thats something like~>13 hours, which is still within reason. If you put it on before you go to bed.

At 6600mAh the battery wont have to be charged every day, so since its so big, it alleviates that somewhat.

My point is that a AC/DC adaptor is cumbersome, not universal, and the prospect of not shipping one is better yet when its an environmental benefit and makes the end product cheaper.

I have multiple USB chargers and enough cables already. Buying a device that works with usb is nice, because then people dont instinctivly think "which charger goes to which thing" as the case has been for some time.

Im only seeing how a included charger makes it a better "plugged in" unit, since it can be then used at full blast on online-power. If you are that hardcore when plugging in, get a desktop.

OR

For whatever reason, other than its needed by default. Get an optional charger at EDs shop.

It wont fit in your case, it wont attach to your pyra, but atleast you will forget it at home when you need it. ;)

On retaining Boxes and 'unopened' stuff just because it makes you feel bad if you get rid of them:

You might want to get checked out for OCD & hoarding.

On not including a matched USB charger:

That would be a rotten new customer/user experience.

Here's your new 500EUR handheld computer.  Please plug it in and allow it to fully charge before the first use.  We were too cheap to include a matching charging adapter, so you should use whatever old USB phone charger you have lying about.  Depending on the quality of the spare charger you just pulled out of your junk drawer it could take anywhere from 1.5 to 13 hours to properly charge.

If the unit fails to charge, please don't send it back.  Instead you should order a new USB charger for $10 and pay $12 to ship it and wait 4-7 days for it's arrival before you can use your new toy.

Oh, and by the way, if we'd have included one from the start it would have cost less than $5 per unit and added nothing to the shipping charge.  Please enjoy your Pyra.

On not including a matched USB charger:

That would be a rotten new customer/user experience.
I agree. However, I would not object to an optional opt-out: if you explicitly say you don't want to receive a charger (presumably because you already have one or several chargers lying around and you know for sure that they will work properly), I don't see why that shouldn't be possible. Even if it's only 5 EUR cheaper that way, there's also the potential benefit that shipping might be slightly cheaper (a charger could be just heavy enough to make the difference between a < 500 gram package and a > 500 gram package, which may or may not be a shipping cost threshold), and you don't have to find a place in your house for a redundant item.

Grench?

You do understand the reason why people have affection, right? While the world isnt full contrast black and white, for the case of argument i could have both OCD and be a hoarder, it doesnt change anything. The case is still usable for case reasons, you dont lose out, but me and others have something to win. All you have to do without is ink on a cardboard case, which is also more environmentally friendly. I made another thread for external case issues, use it rather than this, which is for ricing.

It wont take 1.5 hours, because math, because physics. I dont have junk chargers. You are implying things that are unreasonable. The EU has mandated that all devices be microUSB just because even the most basic consumer doesnt need more junk chargers. Part of what makes it junk is the incompatibility. Last i checked the grid had all sorts of different power connectors depending on where you are in the world. USB: always the same.

And a lot of countries have junk grid power, as such, overall, id much rather take my chances with plugging in a USB to a computer than into what could be reasonable to facilitate as a extra adapter for a pyra.

Why on earth would it fail to charge via usb, when the option is a usb charger? Are you implying someone who buys a pyra doesnt have access to a usb port? And live in a place where buying a usb charger means you _have_ to wait to get one from ED? ED doesnt make money selling power adaptors.

Something like 
chargekey_gift.jpg
should be included for reasons you mentioned.

You put that inside the hardened case, or, you put it on your keychain, and use it for all your devices. Or your friends devices.

wb:

If you see an initial price in a shop thats inflated by the inclusion of not-integral parts, thats a good reason to use the argument you came up with for a opt-in basis.

A wall-charger is very much the difference to a small usb cable for something that is _pocketable_.

There are any numbers of reason why shipping a wall-charger isnt good. Its redundant, the environment suffers, you can get the wrong items to the wrong people. They break, and thats covered by warranty. And you end up shipping packages with nothing more than wallchargers in them.

Big box is offputting, small box is sleek.  Its high time we get with the times and stop putting wallchargers in boxes at all. The world has moved on from barrel-jack for small devices. Tesla was right, we dont need AC inside the home, thats where DC is king.

If there is a charger, optional or otherwise, it should come with the usb part detachable.

Back