End-Of-Life Component

Series-8

Does anyone know what parts are now near or at "EOL" ?
(e.g. unavailable from manufacturer / discontinued or in limited supply with no chance of new production)

My guess would be the Main CPU + PoP-RAM (OMAP 3500 Series is getting quite outdated now...)

Or equally likely is the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module.

However I'm certain Texas-Instruments would have a pin-for-pin compatible CPU equal or better than the current one.

What other parts are expected to be obsolescent soon (The LCD ? )

Series-8 said:
Does anyone know what parts are now near or at "EOL" ?
(e.g. unavailable from manufacturer / discontinued or in limited supply with no chance of new production)

My guess would be the Main CPU + PoP-RAM (OMAP 3500 Series is getting quite outdated now...)

Or equally likely is the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module.

However I'm certain Texas-Instruments would have a pin-for-pin compatible CPU equal or better than the current one.

What other parts are expected to be obsolescent soon (The LCD ? )

OP wouldn't be promising batch 2 quantities if they couldn't secure the parts.

The nubs company went out of business, but OP owns the design and can have them manufactured elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
anexanhume said:
OP wouldn't be promising batch 2 quantities if they couldn't secure the parts.

Of course. That is what they are most known for - never promising anything they can't deliver.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC they've already gathered all non-PCB parts for 2nd batch: LCDs, cases, batteries etc.

the most outdated is the CPU
I really miss features included in OMAP4 & OMAP5 like: 3xUSB, 1xSATA, HDMI output, DDR2 & DDR3 support, camera support, and both are dual cores with built in PowerVR

internal NAND memory has no sense. 512MB are too few for panda OS. in latest fixes they even removed packages in order to get everything into the small memory. after using my panda a lot (mainly travelling), I notice it was needed to set a swap file or partition in the external SD. And with barely 50MB free in the NANDm it is dificult to mantain the system updated. install a couple of new packages and the memory will blow up. damm, boot the OS directly from SD!!!

256MB RAM was ok 4 years ago, nowadays 1GB could be acceptable

nubs are unusable anyway. use something different or remove them...

the output multimedia port. why not to use standard 3,5' or even 2,5' jacks for svideo & sound?

the case itself makes difficult to use L1 & R1. without a redesign dont even think about including L2 & R2 ...

Back