Emulator brings x86 Linux apps to ARM devices

IMHO if you're distributing via .deb files you should include Debian in your compatibility mix.

I bought 2 licenses. Looking forward to someone figuring out how to leverage them into/on a Pandora and later into/on a Pyra.

For now it's supporting important software development.

I've already started a discussion with them about PND packaging. Unfortunately Linux won't work perfectly on a FAT32 SD card (permissions, symlinks, hardlinks break...). We could either make a loopback mount or format a card...

If I buy this for Pandora, can I transfer the license to the Pyra later?
No, it's a per device license.

I've already started a discussion with them about PND packaging. Unfortunately Linux won't work perfectly on a FAT32 SD card (permissions, symlinks, hardlinks break...). We could either make a loopback mount or format a card...
I would not have any issue using a separate ext2 card just for that :)

Ah, so it's non-transferrable then? Cause if I wanted to use it with the Pyra, I'd stop using it with the Pandora.

Is it a problem to keep all symlinks inside the PND? They could reference files and folders inside the /mnt/utmp/exagear directory, which in turn would be mapped to the appdata/exagear folder, regardless the FS type.

Would it be a significant performance loss to create a virtual partition a bit like the android PND does? Because if FAT32 is an issue, it's not much we can do otherwise apart from forcing the user to reformat the card (obviously not do it automatically, but tell the user to backup stuff, etc, and then prepare it).

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always format a file with ext4 or something an mount it to the filesystem even if the file is on a fat32 card.

It would still be nice to keep FAT32, considering that exagear's direct use would be to run x86 applications, presumably DOS/Win32. Good luck explaining to CCF how to shove minesweeper.exe inside an ext4 container or ext4 formatted SD card from the native environment - a PC running Windows. And did I say "shove", cause I meant to say "compile" =)

The problem isn't running things from a FAT32 card, the problem is putting the required x86 Ubuntu rootfs on FAT32. If you intend on using apt-get and actual operating system features, you should *really* put it on an ext partition.

I can see that. There is a natural compromise however: exagear and wine could be installed in the PND, enabling users to run Win32 apps out of the box. For those who want to use exagear in more advanced ways, the solution would be to install the very same PND on ext234 partition and benefit from all the OS features.

You can't reasonably put Ubuntu in a PND unless you want to waste a *ton* of space or make it completely read-only, so it probably wouldn't be the *same PND*.

There IS an ext2/3/4 driver for Windows, so Windows users should just use that.
My very opinionated philosophy on user experience doesn't include users completely changing existing workflows for a small reason. I'd be way more likely to install to a loopback file, which is what I'm leaning toward. Honestly, someone could build "exagear installer" which is a pnd that just needs you to toss all the files you download from exagear into an appdata folder, then figures out everything for you.

Well if the only want to get a PND of this to work is if it's on an ext formatted card, then that may be Windows users' only option.

The alternative is asking the user "how much space do you want to allocate for exagear?" and making a loopback ext mount of that size. It can also be resized later.

Another *crazy* thing would be a transparent filesystem that gives you ext metadata on a FAT32 partition, fixing any problems with Ubuntu.

Back