Emulator brings x86 Linux apps to ARM devices

Ok, so I managed to get wine running, but the wierd thing is that only sound recording is working, not sound playback:

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1118:(snd1_pcm_direct_initialize_poll_fd) unable to open timer 'hw:CLASS=3,SCLASS=0,CARD=0,DEV=0,SUBDEV=0'

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1095:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to initialize poll_fd

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1118:(snd1_pcm_direct_initialize_poll_fd) unable to open timer 'hw:CLASS=3,SCLASS=0,CARD=0,DEV=0,SUBDEV=0'

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1095:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to initialize poll_fd

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
Did you manage to run any application yet? 
Yes, simple winapi apps run without problems. Most games need Direct3D or OpenGL, which I didn't manage to set up yet. Funny thing is that sndrec32 works (records sounds from the microphone), but there is no sound playback.

I also got quite a few errors when running apt-get upgrade on exagear installation, a step required to be able to set up wine, but it was 2 a.m. so I didn't really investigate. Guess I will have to restart from scratch.

Kind of hoping that someone more skilled is going to do all the job for me =)

If you post the steps involved we can work on it..

I had some trouble with some non existent folders.
I have removed those folders from exagear/opt/exagear/images/ubuntu-1204lts/.exagear/vpaths-list

I wonder if it was the right thing to do though.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the service application?
What about it? I don't remember having any trouble with anything by that name :)

I guess I will make a pandora intallation script for exagear this weekend. My only fear is that it won't be worth the effort - linuxboch's wine package may be using qemu (which is slower), but wine itself is native arm (as fast as it gets), resulting performance might as well be comparable.

Well, guess what?

post-1507-0-10746300-1413411300.png

Considering the memory footprint you might as well run it on android...

141016-001104.png

According to the skype community, RAM usage will quickly creep north of 600MB as you continue to use it. That may only be on windows, however.

What about the service application?
What about it? I don't remember having any trouble with anything by that name :)

I guess I will make a pandora intallation script for exagear this weekend. My only fear is that it won't be worth the effort - linuxboch's wine package may be using qemu (which is slower), but wine itself is native arm (as fast as it gets), resulting performance might as well be comparable.
My wine isn't pure ARM, it's *hybrid*. All of the utilities are native ARM, so configuration and startup time is way faster, but exagear should win hands down on actual app performance. It did fine at pinball and such.

I can't wait to see what kind of performance we could get on SiN!

According to the skype community, RAM usage will quickly creep north of 600MB as you continue to use it. That may only be on windows, however.
547MB here after some 12 hours or so, but only 123MB resident. So I guess with enough swap Pandora should be able to handle it too. But it's just absurd that such a (in theory) simple program needs so much memory.

But it's just absurd that such a (in theory) simple program needs so much memory.
It is a Microsoft program now, do you remember that?

Back in 2007 I was using skype on my PDA with only 64 MB of ram TOTAL and 400MHz StrongArm processor. And in around 2011 I was still able to log in with it. Now M$ has banned all older versions of skype (I even had to call support to reactivate my account after insisting too much to log in with old versions), and to make things worse, it killed the whole Windows Mobile platform.

But it's just absurd that such a (in theory) simple program needs so much memory.
It is a Microsoft program now, do you remember that?

Back in 2007 I was using skype on my PDA with only 64 MB of ram TOTAL and 400MHz StrongArm processor. And in around 2011 I was still able to log in with it. Now M$ has banned all older versions of skype (I even had to call support to reactivate my account after insisting too much to log in with old versions), and worst of all, it killed Windows Mobile platform.
One can wonder why they need so much RAM though... what does it do with it ?

Considering skype now has libQtWebKit as dependency, I bet they are downloading photos of my imaginary friends (aka "People you may know") from MSN and Facebook into that RAM.

Just purchased ExaGear Desktop myself.. Now to play with it on the OMAP5 devboard or one of my Pandori... tough decisions. I'm leaning towards the Pandora as I don't quite have a stable OS image on the devboard.

1st world geek problems.

Back