Emulator brings x86 Linux apps to ARM devices

Would it be able to look for user supplied programs outside of that loopback system? Otherwise that won't work well unless users can copy things into it.

Maybe I'm not understanding the whole picture - but...

Put the Linux bits & Pieces all in a single file with an internal format of ext4 per mcobit and mount it. It then wouldn't care what the base card's format is. That file, regardless of it likely being a 3 headed 3GB monster should be able to be included in the PND. It would simply preclude the PND from being able to be installed anywhere BUT on an SD card. I think we're fine with that.

The 3rd option is to only make this available to people who are already booting off of an EXT234 partition on their SD card, which IMHO everyone should be doing anyway. At that point the space requirement isn't really a concern.

I don't want to put the Ubuntu rootfs in the PND, or it will be read-only. There's also no point in doing a loopback file if I'm putting it in the PND, as squashfs is a linuxy file system.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is that if you give the users crippled read-only Ubuntu inside a PND which has wine and is able to run Win32 apps, most users will be completely happy.

Another *crazy* thing would be a transparent filesystem that gives you ext metadata on a FAT32 partition, fixing any problems with Ubuntu.
That sounds suspiciously like the sort of problem you might have the itch to solve (although I kind of hope not as some of your other projects are more exciting!).

Put the root with everything you minimally need to get it running into an ext4 file in the PND, mounted read only just like some kind of bootable CD, enough to do what it advertises and that's it. In some kind of advanced setting give the option to copy that file into the appdata directory and mount it normally so people can install whatever they want. Problems solved.

True. Just give the option to exted the filesystem to a user specified size when copying.

Of course this won't solve the issue of people being lazy and need to copy their data on the Pandora, not from windows.

But you could have rsync copy files people put into a folder in appdata to the ext4 fs file on start.

I would want to use this to have Skype, so hopefully that works. I only need for it to support text, not video/voice.

I'd like to see what this emulator is capable of but I'd prefer if the PND was somewhat user friendly!

Without sign-off from exagear to distribute binaries, all you're going to get is an installer PND which will require you to toss everything in appdata anyway.

That's good enough for now in my opinion. If you get the go ahead, you can always update the PND, like what happened with the Java one.

Sounds good to me too, we will have to buy the official licences to do anything with it anyway! What's the performance like on the Pandora for games in general?

Ok, so I managed to get wine running, but the wierd thing is that only sound recording is working, not sound playback:

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1118:(snd1_pcm_direct_initialize_poll_fd) unable to open timer 'hw:CLASS=3,SCLASS=0,CARD=0,DEV=0,SUBDEV=0'

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1095:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to initialize poll_fd

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1118:(snd1_pcm_direct_initialize_poll_fd) unable to open timer 'hw:CLASS=3,SCLASS=0,CARD=0,DEV=0,SUBDEV=0'

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I managed to get wine running, but the wierd thing is that only sound recording is working, not sound playback:

Did you manage to run any application yet? 

Back