Emulate Pyra on x86?

Legodude522

Website
wikigrave.com
I'm sure there are technical reasons why this isn't worthwhile but would it be possible to emulate the Pyra on an x86 system to play around with the environment? I have a fairly powerful PC at my disposal.

I mean it's just Debian for the most part...

Presumably we'd need to do a bit of work to emulate the system's peripherals. Although most of them don't make much sense; why simulate 4G when your PC already has networking, and most PCs don't have accelerometers or barometers or GPS units, so what should they do? Perhaps you just need to write a short dummy routine to return static data for those latter cases.

Edit: For the option of running the ARM pyra OS under QEMU.

You can chroot into the rootfs under qemu but you won’t be able to run the Pyras kernel on non-native hardware. A lot of Pyra specific stuff (LEDs, graphics, etc) won’t work properly though because you won’t have the specific drivers. Other than that you’re just running standard Debian with arm packages. You could basically achieve the same goal just by running Debian on armv7 hardware like a raspberry pi (I believe @aTc actually uses a pi to build the images as he can do native package configuration on an armv7 kernel that way).

Wasn't there the information that the Pyra-Arm has some microcontroller build in?

Is it possible to emulate them too?
(To program a low power wake up manager or similar.)

Wasn't there the information that the Pyra-Arm has some microcontroller build in?

Is it possible to emulate them too?
(To program a low power wake up manager or similar.)
I mean there is the charging circuitry it has it's own microcontroller, but if what you mean was the OMAP5 as "Pyra-Arm" then that has two addition Cortex-M4 cores outside of the two main processors (Cortex-A15)... but not sure it's worth the effort to emulate those, especially the unique connectivity of them...

Last edited:
Why would someone need to Emulate the Pyra, when there may be in a few weeks the real thing??

Also the Pyra may be the Device of Choice if you need to emulate other things..

Why would someone need to Emulate the Pyra, when there may be in a few weeks the real thing??

Also the Pyra may be the Device of Choice if you need to emulate other things..
Not sure what purpose it would serve, if it's for software development, there are easier solutions like cross-compilers or even the Raspberry Pi is binary compatible. Low level hardware coding requires actual hardware.

I assume it's probably the same vein as people who asked for the Pandora... Where you have a setup of an ARM system where, say, the two analogue sticks from an Xbox 360 controller represent the nubs, maybe an additional gui window with coloured squares representing the hardware leds, etc. All with the same device tree that you would see on the actual Pyra

Back