Release Eldritch

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Eldritch, an fps in a Lovecraft universe.

preview1.png

You will need the data from the full game to play this. Only the Steam version was tested, but other version should work. Data from version "388" were tested ok. Too old data (like "311") doesn't seems to works.

/!\ This Games DOES NOT WORKS correctly on the CC Pandora /!\

The port use SDL2 and the original GL2 renderer has been converted to GLES2. The shaders used are pretty complex, so using latest SGX Driver is recommanded.

Keys are setup in a Pandora friendly way by default, but they can be reconfigured (the screen is too big for the Pandora screen, but it's useable enough).

There are a few issues left (like the Leaderboard is not working, nothing happens when selected), but the game is playable (tested only on a Gigahertz system, using 4.10 drivers).

History logs
===========
Build 04
-----------
  • New build, with updated libs
  • Optimised GLES2 renderer for Pandora (remove use of VBO to reduce pressure on GPU memory, added Uniform Caching).
  • Remove Post effect for a bit more speed (and one FBO less).
  • Fixed a few bugs here and there
Build 03
-----------
  • Fixed Buttons that stopped working in-game with build 02
Build 02
-----------
  • (Hopefully) fixed "Sticky Key" issue
Build 01
-----------
  • Initial build
  • Native GLES2 port
  • CC model not supported (SGX driver crash)
  • known issue: Config screen doesn't fit the screen
  • known issue: Leaderboards not working
  • known issue :Key label doesn't show on in-game help messages
For the curious, the sources are available on my github account.

Last edited:
Nice... I guess I need to buy this game now... (or is it already in my huge backlog?)

Hi all !

@ ptitSeb: thanks for another great port :)

I have just bought the game straight from its website, will give it a go ASAP.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi all,

I gave Eldritch (build 353 from the Humble Store) a short try this morning (on a Rebirth Pandora, Super Zaxxon 1.72 RC, GPU driver 4.04.00.01, OC @ 825 MHz), and so far it doesn't look too good:

* Developer logo doesn't appear correctly: black screen and a white square in the middle

* Main menu is weird: white screen, the Eldritch logo, and a slow blinking bar

* Keys are unresponsive: you have to smash "enter" multiple times for it to work.

N.B: On first start everything looks fine, these display issues only materialize after restarting the game...

While in-game:

* I'd say speed is OK

* Mouse speed is way too fast (but that can be tweaked in the options menu)

* LOTS of glitches on screen when moving, situation improves when remaining still. 

I'm sorry for all the bad news :( I'm looking forward to playing an updated version though :)

EDIT: switching to latest 4.10 GPU driver solved all the graphical issues :D

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
@magic_sam: the PND should have a give a warning about the driver no (when you were using the 4.03) ? (it's to validate my test is working in the PND).

Hi ptitSeb !

Yes, I had a warning about the GPU driver, that's correct.

Bug report:  Movements sometimes get stuck in one direction. That's very annoying ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi ptitSeb !

Bug report:  Movements sometimes get stuck in one direction. That's very annoying ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam
Ah yes, I have also witnessed that "sticky key" case. Not sue why it happens. You have to press again in the direction that is stuck (and it's counter intuitive).

Hi ptitSeb !

Cheers, Magic Sam
Ah yes, I have also witnessed that "sticky key" case. Not sue why it happens. You have to press again in the direction that is stuck (and it's counter intuitive).
I think I started a thread about this when I started experienceing it a lot in other games.  It is very annoying (I have died a couple times because of it), but not so bad once you identify that a game has this problem, and you know how to stop it.

Besides the stuck key issue, I have been enjoying this game immensly. Thanks, ptitSeb! I will rate on the repo once I have gotten a litte furher into it.

Where are these 4.1 SGX drivers coming from?  I have the latest sgx pnd (I think - r2), and the highest version it goes to is 4.08...

The controls are a little difficult, or maybe I need to tweak mouse sensitivity.

Love the game - reminds me of Alone in the Dark!

Where are these 4.1 SGX drivers coming from? I have the latest sgx pnd (I think - r2), and the highest version it goes to is 4.08...

The controls are a little difficult, or maybe I need to tweak mouse sensitivity.

They're only usable on the 1GHz units so I think the SGX tool hides then from other models.

Where are these 4.1 SGX drivers coming from? I have the latest sgx pnd (I think - r2), and the highest version it goes to is 4.08...

They're only usable on the 1GHz units so I think the SGX tool hides then from other models.
My Pandora is a 1 GHz.

My Pandora is a 1 GHz.
Well then, it "Should" be the last one on the list if you truly have the r2 PND.

My Pandora is a 1 GHz.
Well then, it "Should" be the last one on the list if you truly have the r2 PND.
You can also check he hardware revision of your SGX, Do a "cat powervr-esrev" in a terminal to get it.

Meanwhile, I have continue to investigate the sticky key issue.

The game is using the "SDL_GetKeyboardState" function, and it seems some "key release" event are not registered by SDL2! Maybe it's one of the hack I have put, or something else, but it's not an issue inside Eldritch itself (not that help me much to solve issue).

Meanwhile, I have continue to investigate the sticky key issue.

The game is using the "SDL_GetKeyboardState" function, and it seems some "key release" event are not registered by SDL2! Maybe it's one of the hack I have put, or something else, but it's not an issue inside Eldritch itself (not that help me much to solve issue).
Good luck figuring that out! I definitely need to continue playing this one, with or without the problem.

Still in time for the Steam promotion, here is a fixed (I hope) build of Eldritch. The "Sticky Key" issue should be fixed now.

Build 02

-----------

• (Hopefully) fixed "Sticky Key" issue

PS: For the curious, I fixed the issue by removing a recurring call to "SDL_WarpMouseInWindow". This SDL call, that is alway problematic on the Pandora, call itself "X11_XSync(display, False);". In SDL2 for the Pandora, I had to change that call to "X11_XSync(display, True);", or the mouse is unusable. But, that "True" means "purge all pending events", meaning some key events may be dropped! I have found no easy (or not easy) solution here. That XSynch call is necessary, and letting "False" deffenetly doesn't work on the Pandora (because of the Nub driver???). So, because the mouse is grabbed and we are always Fulscreen on the Pandora, I simply removed the call in Eldritch... That should do the trick!

Unfortunately now ABXY are recognized in the key binding menu, but not in game for some reason. I will try deleting appdata and reinstall to see if that helps.

Back