E3 announcement hopes?

Its actually a shame that the Wii U looks really lame, and non traditional as game console (gamecube and the 3DS for me are the last real consoles made by nintendo).

Cause the games anounced for it look outstanding!

BTW what stops me from buying it, is the expensive games, and the biggest reason is the controller it is just... just wrong, and I dont know if the  classic controller or the newly anounced gamecube controller work normally for every game on wii u that could make me change my mind...

Last edited by a moderator:
6 months ago: "The WiiU is failing because it doesn't have any games"

Today: "The WiiU is getting all these games but I won't buy it because its a failing system"

This is how you make a circle.

I would buy a wii u if it didnt have such a weird controller (that I used before so I know what Im talking about) , and such expensive games (Its hard to find em used where I live)....

"I used it once and didn't like it therefore it's going to fail" said basically everyone about every new technology that came along and ultimately became successful.

They look awesome but the plastic toy bullshit prevents me from buying it.
You're an adult looking to buy stuff for yourself.
The target demographic is kids for whom adults then have easy gift solutions for. It's no different then a kid getting into Transformers or Voltron or whatever it is they watch these days: kid likes XYZ, buy toys for XYZ.

Not to discredit the adults who collect toys as well, and to that end there are probably adults all over the Skylander stuff as well, but they're more of a niche.
Did you see what Nintendo does with the Toys.

It's not as insane as the Skylanders.

I actually like how you can use your Figures with more than one game.

It seems like a concept I can live with.

Much better than Skylanders.

Have to say I wasn't expecting an open world Zelda, let's face it the vast majority would have been satisfied with a fresh lick of graphical paint & new mechanic..
Zelda looks awesome.

Even if I'd prefer the more realistic style of Twilight Princess.

And finally it's open world :) .

RE: The toys... kind of like the concept but it's really like an expensive memory/sd card... but it's cool for the kids which is where it's really aimed (and I guess figurine collectors.)

It makes sense that they used Smash Bros to demo the functionality as you have in game trophies...

But nobody give them the idea to do this with Pokemon... oh shit, too late.

And yes I was very impressed with the Zelda world... very pretty! :)

Yeah, it's great that "N" says those little figures will be used for more than one game, but they are notorious for saying things that never happen. I wouldn't get to excited to see these things getting used outside of there main focused game.

I just see this as a cash grab to take advantage of the Skylanders/Infinity markets. Sure, "N" has just as many iconic characters as Disney does, so I expect good sales, but thinking they will make any good use of these things past what the competition is doing, is a dream at best.

Hell, "N" has a tablet controller that is the best/worse part of the WiiU, and counting how long this system had to be in R&D, plus how long it has been out, and they still haven't made any real good games that take advantage of it. Even the new games that Miyamoto seem to be focused on look like more Wii motion control crap. Who in their right mind would think these Amiibos are destined for greatness? Just because "N" says it, doesn't make it so.

Chris

EDIT: A few months ago when the shit hit the fan with the shareholders, Iwata came out and said Miyamoto was working on tablet specific games that would show off the best uses for the tablet. Honestly, the games shown, look like they started production a few months ago, and they really don't look like any great concepts, that would have been in place from years ago. It really shows of desperation to me, just to save face. "N" just can't admit that the tablet was a nice novelty, but nothing more.

I live the dual screen concept.

You need not more than a Map and an inventory on it.

As long as there is no need any more to pause the game for a map and equipping stuff it's all I want.

Anyways, the controller is a lot better than the shitty Wii mote and Nunchuck.

It feels perfect for me.

Miyamoto's two robot games look decidedly arse. Obviously it's early days and Miyamoto generally turns stuff to gold given time, but I'm not seeing signs of greatness just yet :(

Mobile version of Smash Bros for the 3DS, very nice. I never was into consoles, especialy not into Nintendo but I always liked Smash Bros onto the GameCube. Nintendo seems to took serious effort with all these interactions between Console, Handheld, Skylander things, Avatars (Mii or how they are called).

Damn, we need an open source version of Smash Bros, with Free and Indy characters (Tux vs. Super Meat Boy vs. VVVVVV or so. :D ) Go, code it! ^^

im finding the tablet controller to be irreplaceable really. i think ive put in more hours playing mk8 on the tablet than on my 125" projected screen. it could be related to me having to set up the projector by covering up my windows with blankets and such, but playing it in your hands with it right in your face, or playing it in bed before sleep is really nice

im finding the tablet controller to be irreplaceable really. i think ive put in more hours playing mk8 on the tablet than on my 125" projected screen. it could be related to me having to set up the projector by covering up my windows with blankets and such, but playing it in your hands with it right in your face, or playing it in bed before sleep is really nice
Really ? I guess convenience beats everything, but there's no way I'd prefer playing on a small screen vs a big screen for this kind of games. Having a projector for gaming is always a blast., especially for Mario Kart in multiplayer - on a big tv your screen is always too small when the screen is divided. 

Miyamoto's two robot games look decidedly arse. Obviously it's early days and Miyamoto generally turns stuff to gold given time, but I'm not seeing signs of greatness just yet :(
That game looks like the cheapest bullshit ever.

You build a silly robot and crush an other one.

Not in a real fight but in a 5 Second ... something.

I did expect something real cool as they did talk about a new franchise from Miyamoto but this game sucks.

I get a similar feeling with the Giant Robot demo, but I kind of liked the ideas behind the Guard demo. It needs some polish and I could imagine these being put on a compilation disc, similar to WiiPlay.

Finally watched the E3 videos:

- the only thing that got me interested was Splatoon, at least one game that tries to take a slightly different angle

- Openworld Zelda ? Wasn't WindWaker enough Open(Water)world

- No Lego City Undercover 2 (wasn't expecting it, but a man can dream right..right ?)

Wasn't WindWaker enough Open(Water)world
Problem with open worlds is that they are usually full of... nothingness. In wind waker it was full of water and that's it... in games like Morrowing you spend hours walking in the wilderness, where there's nothing.

Open world could be a great idea in theory, but most games don't do it well.  

Open world could be a great idea in theory, but most games don't do it well.
If there is some sort of narrative (combined with clever game play mechanics) to guide you through, it can work out quite well, see the GTA series or (the not as open as its obvious archetype) Lego City Undercover.

it can work out quite well, see the GTA series
Actually I think GTA is a very poor example of well done open world. GTA is like split in between a 'sandbox' world where you can have fun by yourself wreaking havoc around you and doing other things as well, and a completely different game, the 'mission part' where you actually build specific rules in this open world through the context of missions or quests. It always felt very, very artificial to me, it's like you are using two completely different concepts and trying to mash them together by force.

There are many other ways to do Open worlds much, much better. GTA is a great game, but for other reasons.  

The original LOZ was open world and had no direct narrative. Worked out pretty well.

Actually I think GTA is a very poor example of well done open world. GTA is like split in between a 'sandbox' world where you can have fun by yourself wreaking havoc around you and doing other things as well, and a completely different game, the 'mission part' where you actually build specific rules in this open world through the context of missions or quests. It always felt very, very artificial to me, it's like you are using two completely different concepts and trying to mash them together by force.

There are many other ways to do Open worlds much, much better. GTA is a great game, but for other reasons.
As I only have second hand experience regarding the GTA serien (beeing a thug never spawned any interest on my side), which other takes on open world games do you find interesting/noteworthy ?

Back