---= The 2012 E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) Thread =---

All 3 major media shows where pretty lame this year. I think "Tomb Raider" is my most anticipated title from the show thus far, it looks really good. Nothing new or ground breaking to report.

Chris

Same here, I must be getting too old for current gen gaming, retro is where it's at for me.

Same here, I must be getting too old for current gen gaming, retro is where it's at for me.
Your not getting to old, they just sucked! :p

Sunday Night I was pretty interested in the WiiU, and now after watching "N" press event, now I'm way not interested at all. They completely took the wind out of my sails. Everything I saw points to another Wii.

Nintendoland, WiiU Fit, New Mario, Pikmin3, this all looked liked stuff I have played already. The graphics didn't even impress. No Zelda, 3dMario, Starfox, Metroid, WTF?! Why do I want to spend another 300-400 dollars for games that look like I could play them now on the Wii.

I think Microsoft has the right idea with using an extra screen with a device you already have. At least it won't cost me any extra.

So far I really can't see the need to upgrade to the WiiU at all. This may be the first new Nintendo console ever that I don't purchase at launch. A truly wasted E3.

Chris

Been listening to a few podcasts & the general opinion is that overall it was a poor show this year.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

The biggest problem was that there was so little actual news. No big hardware disclosures. No big software disclosures - pretty much everything had been seen, guessed at or mentioned before E3.

I only watched Nintendo's show this year and expected more about the WiiU than anything else, but I have followed PS3 and Xbox stuffage.

I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed, but what I have seen I liked (on the whole), especially Pikmin 3. Did I mention Pikmin 3 already? I did? Oh well, you can never have enough Pikmin! ;) :p

Pikmin 3 FTW!!! :D

The only interesting thing Nintendo demoed for the Wii U imho (apart from the

Project P-100) my concern is that the supposed focus on 'supporting the hardcore' on Wii U will simply mean a deluge of mediocre multi platform/half assed ports with tacked on gamepad functionality ie: Ninja Gaiden 3 etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
Pikmin 3 FTW!!! :D

The only interesting thing Nintendo demoed for the Wii U imho (apart from the

Project P-100) my concern is that the supposed focus on 'supporting the hardcore' on Wii U will simply mean a deluge of mediocre multi platform/half assed ports with tacked on gamepad functionality ie: Ninja Gaiden 3 etc..

Pikmin has always been a great series, although I'm not really sure why it took so long to release a new version, as this game looks like another Wii game that was ported over to make up some launch titles for WiiU. This was for sure the only thing they showed that I had any interest in, but I doubt I will buy a WiiU to play it.

Sadly, I agree that I really don't expect to many original 3rd party titles for the WiiU. Batman looked cool, but I've already finished it, and I'm not buying it again for 5-10% of new content. Same Goes for Ninja Gaiden.

I personally don't expect this system to do that well, as the original Wii offered simplified gaming to the masses, I really don't see many from that user base to upgrade to the WiiU. My aunt bought a Wii(she never owned a video game system in her life), along with the balance board, and I'm sure she would look at this and think it was more complex than she is interested in, and it doesn't really look like it does much more than the Wii.

Nintendo can only really hope to attract standard gamers with this device, as I don't really think most of their casual market from the last gen will bother(the price will be to high and the simplicity gone). The Wii did well because it was cheap and simple, all that is now gone. So this console will have to stand on it's own along side consoles that offer similar games at a cheaper price.

Sadly, no major games where shown, so that tells me late 2013 is the earliest we will see any standard franchise games(Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, ect.). These are the only games Nintendo will have to push hardware, and by the time they come to market, the next PS3 and 360 will be around the corner(even more competition).

So will they do OK? No matter what, "N" always has their rich history of games to move units, but I currently just can't see the WiiU doing as well as the Wii over the long haul, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but this is the first new Nintendo console in history that I don't plan to buy at launch.

Chris

Why do I want to spend another 300-400 dollars for games that look like I could play them now on the Wii.
Because you can't play them now on the Wii. Wii is missing at least (as far as I can gather) HD graphics, Wii U gamepad (the tablet controller) and the new networking features. I'm also guessing the added processing power is being taken advantage of, although you won't be able to tell from the short clips we've seen.

...or did you just look at the graphics in webcast quality and go "meh, Wii could show images like that"? In my opinion you really can't judge a game by how it looks, only its graphics and some gameplay features.

I actually like Nintendo's focus on gameplay over graphics.

The core Nintendo games are always going to shift tons of hardware, but I do think they need to have at least a handful of system sellers at (or shortly after) the Wii U launch, based on what's been shown at E3 it doesn't look like that's going to happen, which could hurt them in 2013.

As great as Pikmin is & as much as it appeals to the so called hardcore, I don't think Nintendo can or should rely upon it (and the handful of other exclusives & lacklustre ports) to drive hardware sales, it's just a little too quirky for mass appeal.

We all know Nintendo traditionally take forever with new iterations of their core franchises & they're almost certainly going to be unveiling their big guns at next years show in order to try & steal some thunder from the Microsoft/Sony new console presentations.

The fact remains though, that the only sure fire way to sell bucketloads of hardware is must have games.. where are they.? not even a teaser of a new SSB, Metroid, 3D Mario, Zelda, Kirby.. or quality 3rd party exclusives like Xenoblade, The Last Story etc..

I'd be interested to know how they hope to achieve a significant installed user base in the short term based on what's been shown so far.. for a die hard big N fan like myself there really is nothing at all of interest (apart from Pikmin) and the Wii U will sadly be (based on what I've seen so far) the first of their consoles I won't be purchasing at launch.

Why do I want to spend another 300-400 dollars for games that look like I could play them now on the Wii.
Because you can't play them now on the Wii. Wii is missing at least (as far as I can gather) HD graphics, Wii U gamepad (the tablet controller) and the new networking features. I'm also guessing the added processing power is being taken advantage of, although you won't be able to tell from the short clips we've seen.

...or did you just look at the graphics in webcast quality and go "meh, Wii could show images like that"? In my opinion you really can't judge a game by how it looks, only its graphics and some gameplay features.

I actually like Nintendo's focus on gameplay over graphics.
I'm not saying their WiiU games will suck because they don't look that great, I'm just saying that a game like Super Mario U isnt that much more than Super Mario Wii. Considering every game appears to work with the Wii Remote, Nunchuck, and Wii balance board, why shouldn't I compare it to the Wii?

Only 2 WiiU gamepads can be used, and second one cuts the framerate in half, plus you'll have to buy a second one at full cost(who knows what that will be, over 100 maybe?), So I doubt many will ever buy a second one, so any 2,3, or 4 players game will rely on regular Wii remotes and nunchucks. I personally like the idea of the new system supporting the old controllers, but it also makes the new controls less special.

True, I haven't personally played a game yet, but the WiiU control pad seems to do pretty much what a second DS screen currently does(just adds extras to a game, and can be a quick menu for item extensive games), an enhancement, but in no way revolutionary.

Did I see some great HD games? Sure! Batman, Darksiders II, Ninja Gaiden, Ect. These are all games that look way better than anything the Wii can currently produce, but they also look the same as they do on the 360 and PS3, 2 machines I currently already own.

I also don't think that all those droves of original Wii casual buyers(like my aunt), care if WiiFit or Nintendoland would run in 1080p on a HD TV. The Wii had the greatest hardware numbers this current gen, but they also had the worst software numbers in comparison(except for 1st party titles), why was that? Because all of the casual gamers only bought the unit and played what came with it(and maybe 1 or 2 shovelware titles). I just don't really see any of this fan base spending hundreds more to do what they will perceive as the same things they can currently do.

So that leaves regular gamers and the would be hardcore crowd, and so far nobody I personally know seems to care for what was shown. I'd be intersted if I saw a Zelda like last years tech demo, or even a Metroid or Mario Galaxy that really pushes 3D HD graphics.

I'm sorry, but a bright, colorful, and crystal clear 2D Mario Bros U, is still just Mario Bros. I still play the original arcade Donkey Kong, and find it to be a wonderful game, so graphics are never the end all and be all for me, but I don't see paying 300+ dollars for what Nintendo has currenty shown me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see this flying off of shelves for 2 years like the Wii did, and unless they deliver something more along the lines of what players where hoping for. Nintendo is still Nintendo, so anything can happen, but I've been waiting the last 6 years for an HD "N" console, and what I saw was a HUGE disappointment gamewise.

Edit: http://www.forbes.co...console-gaming/ , not perfect, but a very good article all the same. Also, it seems stocks have drop yet again. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-shares-fall-following-e3-presentation/097533. Apparently stock holders feel the same way I do.

Chris

Now that was more like it :) . Your first comment was a bit one sided and oversimplifying, but this one I can mostly agree with.

Now then. How about the orientation awareness and social aspects of the gamepad? In my opinion these both make it more than the second DS screen. Sure, if you only use it as such, just showing inventory and such, it will be just that. But the sniper/scanner stuff shown is in my opinion a different thing. It provides a new way of analog input compared to the wii by offering a window-like view to the game world. Sure, sensor-wise it's the same stuff as motionplus and friends, but combined with the display it works entirely differently. This alone makes the gamepad special.

How do you feel about this "asymmetric gameplay" nintendo so verbosely touted? Sure, if you think of it like someone playing against you on the net, it's not a new thing to have separate views for different players. Think of it in a social setting. In many traditional games (board games and such) the players make secret choices one after the other, while all of them have a constant shared view to the game situation. Sound familiar? On the other hand, most single player games are one against all, like the pacman-esque game shown. I think the idea has merit for local social multiplayer both asynchronous turn based or synchronous one against all. By changing the balance of information provided for the players the game dynamic is unlike either the one found in split-screen multiplayer or network multiplayer games.

EDIT: I'm getting a funny feeling that the "window to the game world" has been done in some form already, but I can't put my finger on it

I wasn't all that impressed by E3, I was however pleased by the multitude of free PS+ games (good titles too) that hit the UK PSN store.

Most of the games I'm looking forward to have been pushed back to next year anyway, if I still had a 3DS I'd be pleased by the new CastleVania, although I'd like to see another HoD but as a full, co-op game (as opposed to a dozen different stages).

Oh, Quantic Dreams doing another game makes me happy, I loved Nomad Soul, Farenheit / Indigo Prophecy, and Heavy Rain.

Nintendo are having a Software Showcase tomorrow - I suspect we'll see a lot more for the WiiU and 3Ds than has been shown so far (plus longer vids/demos) of those they have.

It's on at 2:00am GMT for us Europeans not sure what time that is in L.A.

How do you feel about this "asymmetric gameplay" nintendo so verbosely touted? Sure, if you think of it like someone playing against you on the net, it's not a new thing to have separate views for different players. Think of it in a social setting. In many traditional games (board games and such) the players make secret choices one after the other, while all of them have a constant shared view to the game situation. Sound familiar? On the other hand, most single player games are one against all, like the pacman-esque game shown. I think the idea has merit for local social multiplayer both asynchronous turn based or synchronous one against all. By changing the balance of information provided for the players the game dynamic is unlike either the one found in split-screen multiplayer or network multiplayer games.
It is what it is I suppose. This isn't the first system to try private screens per controller. The dreamcast used it, and back during I beleive the Gamecube days, you could hook gameboys up to play things like VS. Pacman, which is pretty much the Luigi game in Nintendoland with a new coat of paint. Games like that I nevered used, as it was to hard to get 3 other players toghether to participate and have all the proper equipment in one room. My biggest wish for the WiiU would be for every multiplayer game to allow for online gameplay, PERIOD!

So being able to put the WiiU gamepad on the floor to simulate a golf ball is a novel idea, but I personally hate to swing my Wiimote as it is, so that is of little interest to me personally. Being able to simulate analog movement for a snipers scope is cool, but I can currently do that with my iPod Touch and Vita, so once again, no real innovation there.

At the end of the day, every WiiU purchased will at least have the one gamepad, so I'm sure Nintendo will innovate some cool tricks as only they can, but currently I just didn't see anything that made it stand out from any current system innovations. Hell, the Wii introduced motion controls, and they didn't get it right until Zelda was released at the end of the road. I hope they do better with the WiiU.

Chris

Back