E-ink Screen

Not sure about the communication to rest of the system. Ideal would be for no extra cabling thru hinge to be needed.
I'm hoping that the i2c line through the MIPI port will actually be connected to the SoC, that would solve that problem.

It's never been clear to me what form this screen should take. Is it a small screen for showing the logo and notifications, or a large screen that you could read a book on?

Seems to me that the former can mostly be catered for with the hinge LEDs, as on Pandora, and the latter has limited uses and will add more bulk and cost. I'm still to be convinced.

Frankly, I'm still convinced it's a bad idea. It adds too much complication to the device and software requirements. One screen is enough, thanks.

The main screen has plenty of pixels for e-book reading. You can save power by using white letters on a black background and turning down the back light to nearly nothing - easily 10+ hours of reading.

ED said no. Good enough. Let it die for now. You can all bring the idea back in 3-4 years when the P3 gets discussed.

It's never been clear to me what form this screen should take. Is it a small screen for showing the logo and notifications, or a large screen that you could read a book on?

Seems to me that the former can mostly be catered for with the hinge LEDs, as on Pandora, and the latter has limited uses and will add more bulk and cost. I'm still to be convinced.
 The latter. And I'm not sure how you see it as having limited uses, seeing as how it can do everything the former can do and more.

The main screen has plenty of pixels for e-book reading. You can save power by using white letters on a black background and turning down the back light to nearly nothing - easily 10+ hours of reading.
That's still not nearly as power efficient as e-ink, and it is worse for your eyes. Also, black is only "off" on OLED. On an LCD, white uses slightly less power: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-black-is/

The Pyra screen is not an OLED.

ED said no. Good enough. Let it die for now. You can all bring the idea back in 3-4 years when the P3 gets discussed.
WizardStan wishes to discuss how he can implement it as his own project, so there is plenty reason to continue discussion about this. Besides, with more research, EvilDragon may change his mind.

-God Ginrai

Actually, that's completely false.
True, mixed that up with the following models ("Paperwhites").
Since when has a selling point been something that people will refuse to buy a device because it didn't have? Selling points are features that convince people to buy. Also, I've seen plenty of comments on cell phones bitching about them not having Gorilla Glass.
And I doubt that Gorilla Glass is something that convinces people to buy the Yotaphone. I have a hard time imagining people saying: "Cool it has an e-Ink screen on the back....ahh crud, it has no Gorilla Glas protection".
However, I am interested in discussing how the e-ink sreen should work so that we can make a plan for how the e-ink screen would work so that EvilDragon can peruse it and either change his mind or use it for the P3. So, my suggested line of discussion will probably be useful to you if you actually follow through with this plan.

-God Ginrai
I would still like this as an "after market addon", even if it would involve loosing warranty in the process of replacing the lid

And I doubt that Gorilla Glass is something that convinces people to buy the Yotaphone. I have a hard time imagining people saying: "Cool it has an e-Ink screen on the back....ahh crud, it has no Gorilla Glas protection".
I can easily people saying: "Why does it have Gorilla Glass for the front screen but not for the back?" People often complain when a manufacturer doesn't meet a perceived level of quality they've already met elsewhere in a device.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of having an eink display. I was recently looking for this in a phone, and for awhile I was looking at Yotaphone, Alcatel One Touch Hero, and the unreleased Boox 43 eink phone.

Instead of delaying the Pyra (unless it turns out to be an easy mod) how about a do-it-yourself kit? Once Pyra production is complete those who want this would be able to buy an alternative lid that has an e-ink display. This would have a connector that goes into the usb, micro-usb, or even hdmi outlets (if hdmi can be used for this).

Alternatively, if an eink displayis slim enough, simply have it attach to the lid. You could go with something as simple as putting the display in a stretchy fabric that would go over the current lid, or a sticky backing.

Another alternative might be to find a free spot on the PCB (if any) and add whatever would be necessary to allow someone later to solder whatever an eink requires. This has more drawbacks, though.

Yes, I have no idea what I'm talking about but who knows, maybe throwing out inane ideas will made someone think of something realistically possible as a result.

Sounds like a great idea, not only because you could read without burning your eyes, but you could also use it as a low power, effective notification system, a good coder could do something very artistic with it, for example: give you a glimpse of the weather forecast and your email notifications from your 3g, which could look like a newspaper, while consuming little power.

a good coder could do something very artistic with it, for example: give you a glimpse of the weather forecast and your email notifications from your 3g, which could look like a newspaper, while consuming little power.
I could do that, so by definition it can't be necessary to be a good coder. :)

I can easily people saying: "Why does it have Gorilla Glass for the front screen but not for the back?" People often complain when a manufacturer doesn't meet a perceived level of quality they've already met elsewhere in a device.

-God Ginrai
Won't people value the actual feature (e-Ink screen) more ?

-God Ginrai
Won't people value the actual feature (e-Ink screen) more ?
Just because they value the features does not mean that they won't have complaints. For example, many people like the Pandora, but complain about the shoulders, keyboard, etc.

-God Ginrai

Just because they value the features does not mean that they won't have complaints. For example, many people like the Pandora, but complain about the shoulders, keyboard, etc.
But they would still buy it, and most people won't notice the difference between gorilla glass and some random "cover" most of the time.

I like how some people view the screen as useless, but the idea of having the pyra as an alarm clock, calendar or even memo pad really sounds great to me just have the lid up as its charging turn off the screen the have it turn off the alarm when you shut the lid. Sure its a boring utility use, but considering how I plug in all my Pandora on my night stand.. it'd work great for me.

Shame ED shot it down though It'd sure make the device turn a few heads, as well as add some nice usability for daily stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
But they would still buy it, and most people won't notice the difference between gorilla glass and some random "cover" most of the time.
And? It was never my point that they would not buy it.

-God Ginrai

Now I am confused: Why should the yota guys use Gorilla Glass then, if it is not necessary to protect the screen and potential customers ultimately don't really care?

Now I am confused: Why should the yota guys use Gorilla Glass then, if it is not necessary to protect the screen and potential customers ultimately don't really care?
Because you COULD run into a gorilla. Then you will be happy to have gorilla glass!

If you run into the gorilla then presumably you're on the same side of the glass AS the gorilla, in which case you may not appreciate the indestructible transparent wall preventing you from escaping.

Aargh.... logically beaten by WizardStan! :lol:

By the time the next Pyra/Pandora comes, we would be moving to color E-inks or similar low power and color technology.

Nah... I want a 3d projected display, like they have in the game another world.

Back