Release Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Does anyone want random names for their player characters?

I found this cool fantasy name generator thingy and managed to get it to work with Crawl.

http://www.dwheeler.com/totro.pl.txt

Warning:

I'm not sure if I know what I'm doing so do this at your own responsibility and don't blame me if anything breaks.

Save the file from above link to your SD card.

Create a text file called "PND_pre_script.sh" in Crawl's appdata folder with following text in it (and remember to fix the file paths so that they point to your SD card).

Code:
NAME=$(perl /media/yoursdcard/totro.pl 1)
sed -i "s/name =.*/name = $NAME/" /media/yoursdcard/pandora/appdata/crawl/saves/start-ns.prf

And that's it.

Absolutely loving this. Just can't stop playing it. One question though. Is it possible to map some keys to the buttons? I find the following being used constantly and could do with being in a more ergonomic spot (that doesn't involve Fn)

< Upstairs

> Downstairs

Fn' Switch Weapon

f fire ranged weapon

Upgraded to the latest 0.16 version.  

It seems like save games should be compatible with the previous release, but this is guaranteed.

Good luck dungeon crawlers!

Tiles version fails on my CC (1.62 & 1.70). pnd_run shows a failure with ./crawl-gui.sh

The curses version starts up quite strange too. It sticks at a black screen with a cursor in the top left until I press a key. With 3.14 gone I now have no crawl :(

Thanks for your work though.

[edit] CLI version is behaving itself now. I'll also add that I've tried different SGX drivers. (4.10 isn't available anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
fixed.

I had codeblocks mounted while I was testing, and it was fulfilling the missing dependency.  Apologies for the aggravation!

Argh, I need to fix some more missing resources... it appears I messed up getting the graphics packaged properly... gaaaa... I'm a horrible person!

Does anyone want random names for their player characters?

I found this cool fantasy name generator thingy and managed to get it to work with Crawl.

http://www.dwheeler.com/totro.pl.txt
Not to derail this thread, but that script was excellently done; I had to translate it to PandaBAS:

10 REM Fantasy Name Generator
20 REM Translated from David Wheeler's script
30 DEF FN r(m1,m2)=INT(RND*((m2-m1)+1))+m1
40 DIM cns(): DIM vwls(): DIM cn$(): DIM vwl$(): LET nc=0: LET nv=0
50 RESTORE 1000
60 READ a$,b: IF b>=0 THEN LET vwl$(nv)=a$: LET vwls(nv)=b: INC nv: GO TO 60
70 RESTORE 1030
80 READ a$,b: IF b>=0 THEN LET cn$(nc)=a$: LET cns(nc)=b: INC nc: GO TO 80
100 REM Generate the name
110 LET minsyl=2: LET maxsyl=6
120 LET g$="": LET leng=FN r(minsyl,maxsyl): LET isv=FN r(0,1)
130 FOR i=1 TO leng
140 IF isv THEN LET n=FN r(0,nv-1): LET n$=vwl$(n): LET n=vwls(n) ELSE LET n=FN r(0,nc-1): LET n$=cn$(n): LET n=cns(n)
150 IF (i=1 AND n & 2=2) OR (i=leng AND n & 1=1) OR (n & 4=4) THEN GO TO 200
160 GO TO 140
190 REM Display the name
200 LET g$=g$+n$: LET isv=1-isv: NEXT i
210 LET g$=UP$ g$(1)+g$(2 TO): PRINT g$
1000 REM Vowels and Vowel-Sounds
1010 DATA "a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"a",7,"e",7,"i",7,"o",7,"u",7,"ae",7,"ai",7,"ao",7,"au",7,"aa",7,"ea",7,"eo",7,"eu",7,"ee",7,"eau",7,"ia",7,"io",7,"iu",7,"ii",7,"oa",7,"oe",7,"oi",7,"ou",7,"oo",7,"'",4,"y",7,"ay",7,"ay",7,"ei",7,"ei",7,"ei",7,"ua",7,"ua",7,"$$",-1
1020 REM Consonants and compounds
1030 DATA "b",7,"c",7,"d",7,"f",7,"g",7,"h",7,"j",7,"k",7,"l",7,"m",7,"n",7,"p",7,"qu",6,"r",7,"s",7,"t",7,"v",7,"w",7,"x",7,"y",7,"z",7,"sc",7,"ch",7,"gh",7,"ph",7,"sh",7,"th",7,"wh",6,"ck",5,"nk",5,"rk",5,"sk",7,"wk",0,"cl",6,"fl",6,"gl",6,"kl",6,"ll",6,"pl",6,"sl",6,"br",6,"cr",6,"dr",6,"fr",6,"gr",6,"kr",6,"pr",6,"sr",6,"tr",6,"ss",5,"st",7,"str",6,"b",7,"c",7,"d",7,"f",7,"g",7,"h",7,"j",7,"k",7,"l",7,"m",7,"n",7,"p",7,"r",7,"s",7,"t",7,"v",7,"w",7,"b",7,"c",7,"d",7,"f",7,"g",7,"h",7,"j",7,"k",7,"l",7,"m",7,"n",7,"p",7,"r",7,"s",7,"t",7,"v",7,"w",7,"br",6,"dr",6,"fr",6,"gr",6,"kr",6,"x",7,"x",7,"x",7,"x",7,"x",7,"xx",7,"xx",5,"$$",-1
It can't be used the way yours is, but it was fun all the same :)
D.

Same error on the script. I do see the window flash up though then crash out.

Edit: Can someone else verify this in case it's me and not neartao's?

mongrol, what pandora version, firmware, etc?  Using any fancy graphics driver either?

I built/tested on a 1ghz, 1.70 firmware and stock graphics drivers...

I am seeing a new bug that when you pick up gold in the GUI version it crashes. I will look into this further when I get time.

fixed.

I had codeblocks mounted while I was testing, and it was fulfilling the missing dependency.  Apologies for the aggravation!
You should use the "copy_libs.sh" script to copy over the dependancies. Go to your lib folder and call "copy_libs.sh ../bin/yourprogram" it should copy over necessary libs (using ldd output) and strip everything...

mongrol, what pandora version, firmware, etc?  Using any fancy graphics driver either?

I built/tested on a 1ghz, 1.70 firmware and stock graphics drivers...
 All fixed! With the last build I changed my graphics drivers. Reverted back to defaults and it's all good. Thanks NearTao.

Any ETA on the tiles gold fix? Or is there a way to get the old .pnd back?
Old versions of PNDs are archived on the repo website just need to click the archived button next to the download button.

I have continued to try builds... it is looking like it may have something to do with the newer version of code blocks... there may be a library issue or something as the original. source is also having a problem building

I have continued to try builds... it is looking like it may have something to do with the newer version of code blocks... there may be a library issue or something as the original. source is also having a problem building
What issue do you have?

The build is working fine but I have a mysterious error when playing the game and picking up gold. It crashes to desktop and the logs indicate that there is a variable range mismatch. I unfortunately upgraded code blocks and source at the same time... so no proper baseline. I will try and get logs when I get home...

The build is working fine but I have a mysterious error when playing the game and picking up gold. It crashes to desktop and the logs indicate that there is a variable range mismatch. I unfortunately upgraded code blocks and source at the same time... so no proper baseline. I will try and get logs when I get home...
You should launch your game with gdb (if you can, from a ssh terminal/putty), and go to the crash (I guess it's a segfault). Then, with the "bt" command, you will see (maybe) where the crash occured.

Back