Release Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

NearTao

Website
www.neartao.com
YOUTUBE
UCD2urNmxTgZBdfCSWYyovCw
Hey folks, I got both CLI and GUI versions built and packaged! You can grab it from here http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=crawl

I would have had this uploaded last week, but I hit a few problems with both the CLI and GUI builds that were both different and I wasn't sure if fixing one problem would alternatively cause a problem for the other.

Both versions share the same appdata folder and hence the save data and .crawlrc if you chose to create one in the appdata folder.

The CLI version is currently being run inside of an xterm window. I was attempting to use terminal, but I couldn't find a good way to set the font to the size I wanted, though it does allow for full screen mode. If anybody has some tricks let me know. Otherwise I might consider compiling a newer version of xterm and using that instead of what comes with the pandora.

The GUI version I'm considering pretty much perfect at this point, I like it!

Anywho... never been a Crawl player, so I'll definitely take suggestions if folks have things they want me to add in or things that can be done better. I'm not sure how often Crawl updates, but I'll try and keep an eye on when it is worth updating.

EDIT:
March 1st 2016 - Latest version on 0.19 with bug fixes.

Confirmed that SGX drivers 4.10 do not work.

Last edited:
Great. Thanks for the port.

Unfortunately the CLI version doesn't work. It just shows a black window for a moment and exits.

pndrun_crawl.out.txt

Attachments

• pndrun_crawl.out.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 502
Great. Thanks for the port.

Unfortunately the CLI version doesn't work. It just shows a black window for a moment and exits.
Thanks for the pndrun log... I'm going to guess I'm not seeing it due to some default login settings that I have in my .bashrc or something.  I'll strip down my login configuration and see if I can reproduce this issue to get it resolved for you.

Just testing the DCSS graphical version. Is it normal to take approx 90 seconds-2 minutes to load?

Also (and this would require some work). Could you add diagonal movement using the dpad?  The basic idea is to build-in a delay to the movement code, where if you quickly press for example down and right in succession (in under 250ms, for e.g.) it recognizes the sequence as a diagonal move.

First load is long while it loads up the database... your second load should be *much* faster.

I'll see what I can come up with for some diagonal movement code.

EDIT: These are the kinds of posts that are so *helpful* https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?t=4527

I was hoping this was a problem already solved and a config change or something might help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the CLI version should just be removed... it might be more trouble than it is worth to keep around :p

Though I am an old ASCII art fan.

Just noticed that when I try to run the CLI version, this error message is shown just before the window is closed: "Error opening terminal: xterm". I didn't notice it before because the window closes so quickly. I don't know if this helps though.

I managed to get the CLI version to run.

I don't really know what I'm doing so I'm not sure if this is the right way to do things.

Looks like it requires something called terminfo. I happened to have this in the codeblocks appdata folder (I think I probably got it when I compiled ncurses, I could be wrong though) and copied the terminfo folder to crawl's appdata folder. Then I added the following line to crawl-cli.sh

"export TERMINFO=./terminfo"

And now the game works.

xterm didn't seem to like it that I had encoding set to utf8 in my .bashrc though, so I tried running the game in (xfce) terminal.

I added "export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$(pwd)/Applications/Settings" to crawl-cli.sh, commented the line that starts xterm,  uncommented the line that starts terminal and added the "--disable-server" option to the terminal command and now the game seems to work fine and terminal uses the config file that's already included in the PND.

Here's the modified start script:

Attachments

• crawl-cli.sh.txt
    648 bytes · Views: 314
matti1234, thanks for looking into this, I just updated the .PND file to implement your changes for the CLI version of the PND.  I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to get the terminal to take the changes to the Settings file I had made... I didn't realize it was looking at the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable... that'll help with plenty of other roguelikes if I port any more terminal versions over.

You're the best!

EDIT:  I think the next thing I'll look at for the CLI version is getting it to use all of the terminal screen space.  Oddly, it looks like it might only be using 25x80 or something... might need to put a .crawlrc in place that tells it to use more space or set a cli configuration setting or something... hmmmm.

EDIT:  I think the next thing I'll look at for the CLI version is getting it to use all of the terminal screen space.  Oddly, it looks like it might only be using 25x80 or something... might need to put a .crawlrc in place that tells it to use more space or set a cli configuration setting or something... hmmmm.
Yeah, most CLI rogue like have strict check and work only with 80x25 minimum. And the 25 lines is not easy on the Pandora. You can have a look at how I have done with Cataclysm Rogue Like, as I had the same issue with the CLI version...

Just found another problem. Most parts of the in-game help don't work. I think this is because the PND is missing the "docs" folder.

Have a quick command or key I can hit to reproduce? I am trying now but haven't seen an issue with '?' for example. I see a docs directory in my checkout... But want to make sure I bundle it in the right place.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

After pressing ? you should be able to press for example key A to open the "Overview" section of the manual, but pressing it just goes back to the game now.

Fixed... Apparently that behavior is only for the GUI version... Checked a few other make install files that I missed... Will update the PND shortly

It should work the way I described in the CLI version. Or at least it does in version 0.13.

You are right and it does work with CLI as well... I must have been doing something g wrong or using a version that wasn't right or something. Confirmed that adding docs fixed both though.

Back