Drmd V5 Beta 2 Released

Big issue found today with the SMS emulation. In "Alex Kidd In Miracle World", you access the screen to select your inventory via the pause button on the real machine. Even tho I have the pause button configured in DrMD, it does not work...hence you cannot select inventory items.
SMS messes up Zaxxon 3D also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Dega had the option to disable the 3D to allow those games to be playable. The source code for Dega is freely available too. It also had the option to use standard red/blue glasses for the 3D. That would rock on the GP2x with the TV Out!

I was actually able to run the ripped SMS BIOS file today and play the snail game :) Ran some other BIOS's as well that included games (ie: Hang On etc).

I tested over a hundred SMS titles today. I must change my statement that the SMS emulation is "pretty good" to it is DAMN good. Everything I loaded ran, and ran well. Still have the issue with the pause button in Alex Kidd, and some very rough sound at the Astro Warrior title screen (sounds like it's going to blow the speakers!), but all in all the emulation is spot on. Nice to play Fantasy Zone II on the GP2X!

I really can't wait for full screen. Thanks so much for adding this!

I was actually able to run the ripped SMS BIOS file today and play the snail game :) Ran some other BIOS's as well that included games (ie: Hang On etc).

I tested over a hundred SMS titles today. I must change my statement that the SMS emulation is "pretty good" to it is DAMN good. Everything I loaded ran, and ran well. Still have the issue with the pause button in Alex Kidd, and some very rough sound at the Astro Warrior title screen (sounds like it's going to blow the speakers!), but all in all the emulation is spot on. Nice to play Fantasy Zone II on the GP2X!

I really don't think you would be happy with full screen here. It is not smoothed and scaling looks pretty ugly.

The only other bug I found with the DrSMS emu is that the sound seems to randomly pan between speakers. It kind of behaves like thwe NES emu does. Must be a FW 2.0 thing.

S'not a FW2.0 thing, it does it on my Open2x 1.4 firmware build. The NES emu, that is.

Allan.

I really don't think you would be happy with full screen here. It is not smoothed and scaling looks pretty ugly.

The only other bug I found with the DrSMS emu is that the sound seems to randomly pan between speakers. It kind of behaves like thwe NES emu does. Must be a FW 2.0 thing.

Well, full screen SMS in AlexKidd2X doesn;t look all that bad, so I think it'll be ok. AlexKidd2X does some funky stuff to my unit however, so using that is just out of the question for now.

I have a fatal bug to report. DrMDX still sees the SD's as SMC's, thus, I can only use the first 128MB to store roms... :ph34r:

Just kidding. It still talks about SMC's, though. :p

I get problems running Arnold Palmer Golf and Desert Strike (text seems to be missing) like i did in old build of DrMD i was running on my old GP32, is this normal and will it be fixed anytime soon?
Thanks in advance :)

Edit, i see others are experiencing the Desert Strike prob, any chance it'll be fixed for a future release though, DS was one of my favourite Megadrive games :)

F16 FIghter (SMS) has some serious issues. I remember Flubba saying something about how difficult it was to emulate this game on his GBA SMS emulator too. Wonder what is different about that game that makes it so hard to correctly emulate.

Found a bug.

In SMS the background (buildings etc.) are missing in Ys.

bacteria posted on May 22 2006 at 11:14 AM said:
Excellent emulator, and a very good update (beta 2).

The menu doesn't have that annoying flicker anymore (Firmware 2.0).

I haven't played many things on it yet, or tested it fully, but I have played Psycho Pinball (Megadrive), it now plays at 60fps if overclocked at 250Mhz - with 22050 sound selected, against about 45fps on version DrMD 4.3. One of my favourite games of all time.

Fantastic work Reesy.

What a cracking game thats all i ever seem to play on this emu, reesy you da man geeze :)

DrMD News
--------------

6 button support is finally here.
TV-Out Fixed.

I'm currently re-writing the savestate code, hopefully the new code will allow me to add/remove variables without it being a complete pain in the ass to make older save states compatible. Hopefully I can do this without changing the current format but I'm not promising anything. Once the new save state code is done I'll release a new version.

Later

Reesy

Awesome news! Thanks again for all your hard work man ... 'tis much appreciated :D

DrMD News
--------------

6 button support is finally here.
TV-Out Fixed.

I'm currently re-writing the savestate code, hopefully the new code will allow me to add/remove variables without it being a complete pain in the ass to make older save states compatible. Hopefully I can do this without changing the current format but I'm not promising anything. Once the new save state code is done I'll release a new version.

Later

Reesy
WIN!

TV Out being fixed is something to look forward to for sure. I haven't seen these Sega consoles on a TV set in years!

DrMD News
-------------

Volume control bug fixed.
Sensible soccer now works again. There was a bug in my clipping code.
Fixed sound quality at lower cpu speeds.

Still working on savestate code.

Reesy

We'll see a release when we see one :)

I know, I am eager as well... but the wait builds character! I just hope there are some SMS/GG improvements when it does arrive.

Back