Dr.who

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 14 2006 at 09:26 PM said:
I thought it was amazing, very clever in the way they brought the Cybermen and the Daleks together. And Rose left in the only obvious way without actually killing her off. I was in tears at the end, until Catherine Tate turned up in a wedding dress :) .

I totally enjoyed it, and I'm a hardened Doctor Who Fan!
It is too 'cheesey' with Billie in it. She keeps trying to sound all superior and to me just the way she does the same thing again and again, rattles on about 'the shadow proclimation' etc, it just ruins it. Its like this series has had no depth and seems to be based for children. Little children. Its turned into teletubbies. With NuNu the tardis. Also why is the 'eye' of the tardis under te control station in the newest two series' ? In the film, and I belive in some peter davidson episode, it was established to be somewhere deep in the tardis.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 14 2006 at 10:06 PM said:
refractor posted on Jul 14 2006 at 09:56 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 14 2006 at 10:40 PM said:
I don't think having a little love interest is a bad thing. I am though a little fed up of men thinking Sci Fi is just for them. I think the series has appealed to a wide spectrum of people, men, women and children. Leave it as it is I say, the formula really works and I have totally enjoyed the new series!
Don't get me wrong. The love-interest, or more "sensitive" aspect is fine, but shoving it down my throat wasn't necessary. I can infer stuff like that fairly readily even without the over-emphasis and I presume that other people can too. As for the men thinking that sci-fi is just for them, I'd argue that it was the opposite; most women automatically think that sci-fi is not for them, and that's why there isn't a larger female sci-fi audience. In most of the decent sci-fi series there's enough plot, character, and outright geekiness to keep both sexes interested.
I think that it brings a little realism the the characters, and should remain as it is.

I'm also interested in the new Torchwood series, I hope it's as good as Doctor Who.

On another note, what do you think the four words the Face of Bo is going to tell the Doctor. What's the big secret? I have a niggly feeling the Face of Bo is a time lord.
That series was crap...

nickspoon posted on Jul 14 2006 at 10:08 PM said:
Tennant was a really good Doctor, I thought.
Yep, he's ok.

craigix posted on Jul 14 2006 at 10:42 PM said:
It was good, but too late for me, whole new series jumped the shark with 'love and monsters' for me.

I've been downloading classic episodes recently, i'm sorry but no one is anywhere near as good as Tom Baker.

Maybe they had better writers back then, I just don't know.

That said my fave episode is probably the 5 doctors which Tom Baker isn't in.
Jelly Baby? He wasn't in that one as he didnt like his ocntract and changed his mind at t helast minute and they would not agree to change it to his demands, so he was written out.

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 14 2006 at 04:17 PM said:
refractor posted on Jul 14 2006 at 10:16 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 14 2006 at 11:06 PM said:
On another note, what do you think the four words the Face of Bo is going to tell the Doctor. What's the big secret? I have a niggly feeling the Face of Bo is a time lord.
Oh that's easy:

"I am your father".

Followed by:
"Noooooo!!!" screamed the Doctor.
LOL, or even "I am your mother!" :D

Thumb Wars is awesome! :lol:

sam fisher posted on Jul 15 2006 at 02:21 AM said:
It is too 'cheesey' with Billie in it. She keeps trying to sound all superior and to me just the way she does the same thing again and again, rattles on about 'the shadow proclimation' etc,

That series was crap...

Sam fisher, if you have nothing actually constructive to say then don't bother, I am up for a critical view on the series but just saying it's crap is a bit bellow the belt don't you think?

Rose mentioned the Shadow Proclamation in the Christmas special and that was out of sheer desperation and panic, I would have liked to see what you would have done in her situation. She's an excellent character, from the very first episode 'Rose' to the last episode 'Doomsday' she has gone from an average girl on the block to someone who's not afraid to give her life to save the planet. I think she's my 3rd favourite assistant.
My 2nd favourite was Adric, probably because I had a bit of a thing for him, and I cried myself to sleep when they killed him off :( . My 1st favourite was "Sarah Jane Smith". I remember her as being a very strong willed woman, and I always identified with her and thought it was good she was there to keep the Doctor in check. It was quite rare to see Sarah in the corner screaming, she would usually grab something and throw it at the oncoming wee beasty, Rose has a bit of Sarah Jane Smith in her.

Sam, If the series annoyed you soo much, why the heck did you carry on watching it? You certainly don't really have any real positive views on it apart from David Tennant is okay, was there ANYTHING you actually liked about it?

jmetal88 posted on Jul 15 2006 at 06:06 AM said:
LOL Yes I loved Thumb Wars at especially the bit with Luke Floorunner that went:

Luke "Who are you?"
Oobee "I'm Oobeedoo Banoobee, I have the silliest name in the galaxy!"
Luke "What's your middle name?"
Oobee "Scoobydooby!"
Luke "Oobeedoo Scoobydooby Banoobee?"
Oobee "One in the same, and you must be, The Cry Baby!"

I almost wet my knickers laughing so much when I heard that.

Have you seen any of the others Bat Thumb, The Blair Thumb or Thumbtanic?

I thought the writing was generally 'simple'
But that's what you get for aiming at a wider audience.

2012 Olympics was poor - not enough suspense.
The episode with Peter Kay was especially dire. I couldn't take him seriously - the guest over-actors have put a cash-in taint on the whole series. I'll take it as an experiment gone wrong and I hope they don't try to repeat it.
Mme Pompadour was one of the better ones.
Werewolf set up torchwood nicely.
And Doomsday brought the loose ends together.

Billie was a fine assistant and she settled into the role nicely by the end.
I think it's good she went when she did as the pair had only one place to go afterwards ;)

But I didn't understand at the end of Doomsday why Rose and her 'dad' didn't get sucked into the void as soon as he appeared and caught her.
But the ending was well acted, except for Catherine bloody Tate :rolleyes: Oh great! Another 'I loved Dr Who' over-actor. <_< I hope the writing and director are better

Overall the series was much more entertaining than anything else on a Saturday night for ages.

Please do not forget that Doctor Who is trying to keep it in the same vane as the original series, in the sense that it cannot be overly complex as one of the intended audience are children. In fact the original idea of Doctor Who was an educational program for the family with stories set in our history, and they really did not want to feature the bug eyed monster element. But the monsters took over the programs format, especially when the first Dalek story was aired, the fan mail went through the roof!

The format of the old, and today's stories are pretty simple. Doctor and Assistant land somewhere, evil beings try to take over the universe. The doctor is the technical wiz and usually knows what is going on. The assistant is there to ask questions to get the Doc to explain it all to us, oh and they get themselves into scrapes usually involving some form of rescue. In the end the Doc usually triumphs. All this set in a way to make it available to the mass audience.
We all have bits we don't like and bit we love, but that was the same with the original series. And to be honest, the original series had some fantastic stories, it also had some dire ones too. Lets not let our nostalgia over the original Doctor Who cloud our memories of how bad or good some of it was. I mean, the Berty Bassett character, now if that appeared in the new series, we would fall over laughing and switch it off.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I loved the old series and would be glued to the TV every time it was on, and yes I did hide behind a Cushion when the scary bits happened. I remember the Sea Devils, they really creeped me out, the way they just walked out of the sea.... But nothing really scares me anymore as I have seen too many horror films. But my friends kids are seeing all this for the first time, and they do the same as we all did when we we're children! I think this is a good sign that the program is accomplishing the feel and task of the original. To scare the pants off kids :) .

I don't mind them writing for kids.
There are lots of kids programs that are still accessible to adults.

Dr Who's writers leave holes in the plot to get to the end, eg. Rose being caught and whisked away instead of both being sucked into the void. It was made clear earlier that it was one necklace-one body. and that all things that had travelled through the void would be sucked in.

And then appears dad, caught Rose, and didn't get sucked through.
I'd have been happier to see him catch her earlier, get dragged backwards while struggling to activate her necklace before disappearing.
Instead we got 'Dad catches Rose - dramatic look - disappears' :blink:

That is the kind of simple writing I complain about.

Yep I thought the same thing about that ending, it could have been made so much better with a few tweaks. It's likely they ran out of time and just hacked that together.

The Peter Kay episode (Love and monsters) was the worst of all time, ever worse than the Happyness Patrol from the McCoy era.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 15 2006 at 08:32 AM said:
sam fisher posted on Jul 15 2006 at 02:21 AM said:
It is too 'cheesey' with Billie in it. She keeps trying to sound all superior and to me just the way she does the same thing again and again, rattles on about 'the shadow proclimation' etc,

That series was crap...

Sam fisher, if you have nothing actually constructive to say then don't bother, I am up for a critical view on the series but just saying it's crap is a bit bellow the belt don't you think?

Rose mentioned the Shadow Proclamation in the Christmas special and that was out of sheer desperation and panic, I would have liked to see what you would have done in her situation. She's an excellent character, from the very first episode 'Rose' to the last episode 'Doomsday' she has gone from an average girl on the block to someone who's not afraid to give her life to save the planet. I think she's my 3rd favourite assistant.
My 2nd favourite was Adric, probably because I had a bit of a thing for him, and I cried myself to sleep when they killed him off :( . My 1st favourite was "Sarah Jane Smith". I remember her as being a very strong willed woman, and I always identified with her and thought it was good she was there to keep the Doctor in check. It was quite rare to see Sarah in the corner screaming, she would usually grab something and throw it at the oncoming wee beasty, Rose has a bit of Sarah Jane Smith in her.

Sam, If the series annoyed you soo much, why the heck did you carry on watching it? You certainly don't really have any real positive views on it apart from David Tennant is okay, was there ANYTHING you actually liked about it?
What, i'm blunt. It was crap. There were a few good ones but only about 1/4 to 1/3 of them were good. I liked the daleks vs cybermen bit but then they fucked it up for me with the bad continuity.

gp32rich posted on Jul 15 2006 at 10:27 AM said:
But I didn't understand at the end of Doomsday why Rose and her 'dad' didn't get sucked into the void as soon as he appeared and caught her.
But the ending was well acted, except for Catherine bloody Tate :rolleyes: Oh great! Another 'I loved Dr Who' over-actor. <_< I hope the writing and director are better

Overall the series was much more entertaining than anything else on a Saturday night for ages.
I wondered that aswell.

craigix posted on Jul 15 2006 at 02:50 PM said:
Yep I thought the same thing about that ending, it could have been made so much better with a few tweaks. It's likely they ran out of time and just hacked that together.

The Peter Kay episode (Love and monsters) was the worst of all time, ever worse than the Happyness Patrol from the McCoy era.
I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. It was certainly different, but it was pretty awful. How that story actually got into production is pretty much beyond me.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 15 2006 at 02:42 AM said:
LOL Yes I loved Thumb Wars at especially the bit with Luke Floorunner that went:

Luke "Who are you?"
Oobee "Scoobydooby!"

No, I don't think I've seen any of the others...

Oh and by the way, it's actually Loke Groundrunner, not Luke Floorunner. :)

Quck Edit:

Let's see... how many other characters cand I name?

Han Duet (with the long 'a')
Princess Bunhead
Black Helmet Man
Oobiedoo Banoobie (of course)
Precepio (is that right?)
Beep-oo-Beep

umm...

That's all I can think of at the moment.

jmetal88 posted on Jul 15 2006 at 04:19 PM said:

Luke "Who are you?"
Oobee "Scoobydooby!"

Quck Edit:

Princess Bunhead
Black Helmet Man
Beep-oo-Beep

umm...

LOL thanks for the correction, I will have to watch it again. I actually have the lot on DVD, I think Thumb Wars and Bat Thumb are the best.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 15 2006 at 11:05 AM said:

Luke "Who are you?"
Oobee "Scoobydooby!"

Quck Edit:

Princess Bunhead
Black Helmet Man
Beep-oo-Beep

umm...

LOL thanks for the correction, I will have to watch it again. I actually have the lot on DVD, I think Thumb Wars and Bat Thumb are the best.

Also, my favorite part of Thumb Wars is when they're at the dinner table.

"Well Loke, the harvest is soon, and you'll be getting help! I bought a couple of Droids today from the freaky little hooded creatures. The big one is sort of effeminate and annoying, and I think the little one has an amputee inside!"

"Harvest, harvest, harvest! All you care about is the stupid harvest! You don't care about me! I want to see the universe! You don't know who I am inside! You never have! I'm gonna run away and never come back ever!"

"Phew, what a whiner that kid is, haha. -- You've got a pea on your head, dear."

jmetal88 posted on Jul 15 2006 at 05:21 PM said:
Also at my favorite part of Thumb Wars is when they're at the dinner table.

"Well Loke, the harvest is soon, and you'll be getting help! I bought a couple of Droids today from the freaky little hooded creatures. The big one is sort of effeminate and annoying, and I think the little one has an amputee inside!"

"Harvest, harvest, harvest! All you care about is the stupid harvest! You don't care about me! I want to see the universe! You don't know who I am inside! You never have! I'm gonna run away and never come back ever!"

"Phew, what a whiner that kid is, haha. -- You've got a pea on your head, dear."

LMAO yes, and what a huge pea it is too! Hey would you like to see Bat Thumb? If so, PM me and I will let you know how.

Pea.gif

"Phew, what a whiner that kid is, haha. -- You've got a pea on your head, dear."​

Princess Bunhead
Black Helmet Man
Beep-oo-Beep

umm...

I have a few more:

Prissypeo
Crunchy
Gabba the Butt
Aunt Gonnabiteit
Uncle Soondead

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 16 2006 at 09:45 AM said:

Princess Bunhead
Black Helmet Man
Beep-oo-Beep

umm...

Prissypeo

I think that's what I meant by Precepio. :rolleyes: Thought it wasn't right though.

Hia,

Not sure if anyone is interested but:

I have knocked up a quick video of the last two episodes. It's sort of a preview and it does give away one or two things, so if yo don't want any spoilers, don't watch.
I have it with me now on my PSP so I will post the file here Dooomsday.MP4. This file is a Quicktime file, and can be played with Quicktime player. If you want to play it on a PSP then rename the file to something like: M4V00004.MP4 and place it in the MP_ROOT\100MNV01 folder on the memory stick.

If anyone would like it in better quality or another format, let me know! But I won't hold my breath, it's not the best bit of editing I have ever done :D .

WarmFluffyUK posted on Jul 18 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
If you want to play it on a PSP then rename the file to something like: M4V00004.MP4 and place it in the MP_ROOT\100MNV01 folder on the memory stick.
Is that normal?

Serious question, I only know one guy with a PSP and he only plays games on it.

Back