Dosbox

Viking

I've just remembered one of my favorite windows games that I used to play when I was little, Jazz Jackrabbit!

So I've got the game and dosbox on my pandora, and I wonder.

Where do I start?

Do I have to mount the folder where my games are? In that case, would it look like this if my games are in appdata on my sd card: z:\media\(SD card)PANDORA-2\pandora\appdata\DOSgames ?

EDIT: Found out what was wrong now, it seems that I manualy made a games folder for the DOSbox folder, but that should have been fixed when running dboxfe. And I had put the emulator in one SD card and games in another (really bad organization, I know). So DOSbox and games in the same SD card!!!

Here's a DOSbox for dummies gruso made :)

- Launch DBoxFE. Then close it. It will have created a fresh /appdata/dosbox folder.

- Copy your DOS game folder (let's assume it's called 'jazz') to /appdata/dosbox/games

(Tip: Rename all your game folders to something 8 characters or less before copying them over. No point typing "JazzJ~1" when you can just type "jazz")

- Launch DBoxFE again

- Highlight 'default' profile

- Click start

You are now at a C:\ prompt.

-Type cd jazz

-Type jazz (or whatever your exe is called)

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the documentation - if you're starting it by using DOSBoxFE, there's a place in appdata where you can drop the folders containing your games, which is automounted.

Where in DOSBoxFE? Is it in preferences? So sorry, this seems a bit hard for me :D

Nice new avatar you've got there btw!

DOSBoxFE is the front-end - it should appear in the menu the same as DOSBox does - just check where your stuff needs to be, and then start that instead.

By the by, you'll need to overclock for Jazz Jackrabbit. At 850MHz at OPP3 it's generally close to full-speed, in my experience. If you're lucky enough to be able to clock higher, you'll do well with it.

(Thanks, by the way. I wrote a bit about it in the 3DS thread in Other Consoles. :p )

DOSBoxFE is the front-end - it should appear in the menu the same as DOSBox does - just check where your stuff needs to be, and then start that instead.

By the by, you'll need to overclock for Jazz Jackrabbit. At 850MHz at OPP3 it's generally close to full-speed, in my experience. If you're lucky enough to be able to clock higher, you'll do well with it.

(Thanks, by the way. I wrote a bit about it in the 3DS thread in Other Consoles. :p )
I know where that is, but I don't know how to automount my game folder in it :p

^ As I said, the documentation (I'm sure there is some) should say where you need to put it. I'm almost certain that the location isn't the one quoted in your first post.

I've tried so many times now, but when I try to mount in DOSbox, it won't work.

I try to mount, but I'm not sure how to get this key (~). And I try to make it to my game folder like this; mount c ~/media/PANDORA-2/pandora/appdata/DOSgames

~ means home. You don't want to mount home. Simply

mount c /media/PANDORA-2/pandora/appdata/DOSgames

will do the job.

As said, you shouldn't have to do this though. Run dboxfe, choose the default configuration and hit start, it automatically mounts "/media/<sdcard>/pandora/appdata/dosbox/games" to C. Put all your games into that directory before starting dboxfe and it'll be fine.

~ means home. You don't want to mount home. Simply

mount c /media/PANDORA-2/pandora/appdata/DOSgames

will do the job.

As said, you shouldn't have to do this though. Run dboxfe, choose the default configuration and hit start, it automatically mounts "/media/<sdcard>/pandora/appdata/dosbox/games" to C. Put all your games into that directory before starting dboxfe and it'll be fine.
I ran dboxfe, and pressed start. It now mounted (mount c games) and Drive C is mounted as local directory games/ ?

If I want to run the .exe file, do I have to type in all dir. to it?

If you've copied the jazz directory into that games directory, then you will have to type

Code:
cd jazz

jazz

Just as you would have so long ago in an actual DOS terminal.

If you've copied the jazz directory into that games directory, then you will have to type

Code:
cd jazz

jazz

Just as you would have so long ago in an actual DOS terminal.
I was waaay too young to understand that stuff, so I got my brother to help me run such games :) , so i'm a total newb at DOS, Sorry!

But when I used dboxfe and ran default, it just said mount c games, and that c was mounted to games.

but is it mounted to another folder which is called games? It doesn't show all the dir. when mounted. And the reason I wonder is because I couldn't execute cd jazz...

No, it mounts that directory (/pandora/appdata/dosbox/games) on your SD card as C: in dosbox. It treats it as if that directory is your C drive. Everything that is in that directory will appear as if it were the root of your hard drive on your Windows box. To get to a drive in Windows, you would double click the drive in My Computer, but in DOS, you type "C:". Then type "dir" to do a directory list. CD means change directory. So if you drop the Jazz directory into that games directory, in order to access it you must change to C drive ("C:<enter>") then change directory to jazz ("cd jazz<enter>") and then you can run the program ("jazz<enter>") and it'll run.

I remember DOS used to confuse the heck out of me when I was a kid. C64 I learned all the commands but DOS broke my brain. Looking at what you're saying now I think after using Linux for so long I could probably do it now. It still sucks that even with the front end for DOSbox you still have to do all this though.

No, it mounts that directory (/pandora/appdata/dosbox/games) on your SD card as C: in dosbox. It treats it as if that directory is your C drive. Everything that is in that directory will appear as if it were the root of your hard drive on your Windows box. To get to a drive in Windows, you would double click the drive in My Computer, but in DOS, you type "C:". Then type "dir" to do a directory list. CD means change directory. So if you drop the Jazz directory into that games directory, in order to access it you must change to C drive ("C:<enter>") then change directory to jazz ("cd jazz<enter>") and then you can run the program ("jazz<enter>") and it'll run.
Okey, would it then become jazz: instead of c: ? And I found a ehow, it says I need to type dir jazz rabbit/jazz.exe <enter>, jazz <enter> to make it run.

But yeah, when I tried to C:<enter> (semi colon doesn't work btw?), it says it's an illegal command

I'm feeling like I kinda get this, but in the same time, I don't :D

I remember DOS used to confuse the heck out of me when I was a kid. C64 I learned all the commands but DOS broke my brain. Looking at what you're saying now I think after using Linux for so long I could probably do it now. It still sucks that even with the front end for DOSbox you still have to do all this though.
I've been fumbling with DOSbox for about 3-4 hours (also watching House), and my brain is crushed, shread and cremated. I'm 18 years old and this is pretty much the first time I've laid eyes on DOSbox

I've been fumbling with DOSbox for about 3-4 hours (also watching House), and my brain is crushed, shread and cremated. I'm 18 years old and this is pretty much the first time I've laid eyes on DOSbox
You shound like you're more of a visual person, I have no idea if this will help but youtube has tons of stuff on dosbox:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NAWiUAGCphQ?feature=oembed

EDIT: I didn't mean anything bad by saying you were a visual person, but I too sometimes get things quicker if I see them done rather than reading directions. I also didn't know the video was done by an 8 year old before I posted it, but do a search on youtube for 'dosbox' and you can find all sorts of useful videos on how to use it.

Ok, I tried to change directory like "cd jazz rabbit", But says it's too long, and I should try instead jazz~1. But I can't use ~ in DOSbox, how do I use this key on the pandora?

If I remember correctly, and it has been a LONG TIME, DOS can't have spaces in directory names, or it can but you need either an underscore, _, or maybe it is a tidle, ~ to replace the space. In the end it is just easier to rename the directory to simply 'jazz' and then try to cd into it.

So first with xfce go to the folder 'jazz rabbit' and rename that folder to 'jazz' then:

Code:
cd jazz

To run it after that you need to know what the executable is named, when you know that you would just type that. Since it is dos it is probably just jazz or jazzrabbit.

If I remember correctly, and it has been a LONG TIME, DOS can't have spaces in directory names, or it can but you need either an underscore, _, or maybe it is a tidle, ~ to replace the space. In the end it is just easier to rename the directory to simply 'jazz' and then try to cd into it.

So first with xfce go to the folder 'jazz rabbit' and rename that folder to 'jazz' then:

Code:
cd jazz

To run it after that you need to know what the executable is named, when you know that you would just type that. Since it is dos it is probably just jazz or jazzrabbit.
Now I've tried that (renaming) but says it's not possible...

EDIT: And for your youtube post, none taken :D

Back