Preparation

Jourdy288

EDIT: On another note, I'm also a Palm user, any way to sync stuff from my Palm to my Pandora?

OK guys, I'm getting ready for my Pandora, and I've created a Pandora folder on my desktop, created within it the folders "Apps" and "Appdata". I'm wondering now, what to put in it? Also, I'm interested in playing Myst via DosBox, help? I've read some of this thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54985-win-3-1-via-dosbox-at-native-resolution/

I've already gotten a couple of emulators ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ He does, if he wants to, for example, ready some game data files (eg. quake 2) to proper directories beforehand.

Put your PNDs in /pandora/menu. Putting them in /apps will make things messy, as they will show both on the menu and the desktop.

I've not had mine for quite a week yet, but I did the same as you, prepared things beforehand.

Lots of people will tell you to create a /pandora/roms directory with subdirectories for each emulator. This is a great idea and good preparation. I ended up moving some of the directories (eg mame) into the /appdata/mame4all/roms directory after the first few runs, just for cleanliness and my own sanity, but having them ready in a roms director is good prep.

I also did some other things like running Romcentre or clrmame pro to ensure my roms would run correctly and organising my roms (spectrum, amiga, etc.) into sub directories for each letter.

Here's a tip though that I've not seen mentioned elsewhere: I have the Amiga TOSEC downloaded (it was easier to do that than try and manually rip the games I own to ADFs) but when I looked them up in UAE4ALL, there wasn't enough screen width to display the who filename and crucially, what I was missing at the end was the disk numbers! So, get hold of something like Flash Rename Pro (if you're using Windows) and get renaming your long files!

EDIT: It's THE, not TEH!

Whoa, thanks, I'll nab those!

Also, lets say that I want to try playing a multiplayer SNES game over LAN with somebody else running SNES9X, is there anything I should know?

Thank you! Also, any info about running Myst in DosBox? And when organizing ROMS, is there a way to categorize/organize them, i.e. ROMS/Atari/2600, ROMS/Atari/Jaguar, etc.?

Your rom organising is probably spot on and as others said you could further break large rom sets down into a-z folders if you wished. For initially running some emualtors the roms are perhaps best within the apps own appdata/roms folder to start with but only a few don't recall where you move them thereafter if they aren't there.

I have limited Dosbox knowledge but if you make appdata/dosbox/games/myst(plus any others) as separate folders, then when you launch dosbox (not sure on dosboxfe) you should automatically be in the 'games' folder. Type 'dir' to list the folders of games present. Type 'cd <relevant game folder name> then 'dir' again to list the files present. Then just type 'name of executable file' and it should run. Thats my experience anyway.

Btw Riven works very well under PCSX if I recall my game testing exploits correctly, so theres always that as a fallback perhaps.

Your rom organising is probably spot on and as others said you could further break large rom sets down into a-z folders if you wished. For initially running some emualtors the roms are perhaps best within the apps own appdata/roms folder to start with but only a few don't recall where you move them thereafter if they aren't there.

I have limited Dosbox knowledge but if you make appdata/dosbox/games/myst(plus any others) as separate folders, then when you launch dosbox (not sure on dosboxfe) you should automatically be in the 'games' folder. Type 'dir' to list the folders of games present. Type 'cd <relevant game folder name> then 'dir' again to list the files present. Then just type 'name of executable file' and it should run. Thats my experience anyway.

Btw Riven works very well under PCSX if I recall my game testing exploits correctly, so theres always that as a fallback perhaps.

Sweet, better get ripping.

Also, might as well ask whilst on topic, are there any multi-system emulators along the lines of LJP? I'd kill for one...

Skeezix, where are you?

Also, some emulators don't support zipped roms.

For instance, UAE4ALL will show you the files in the dialogue, but won't do anything with them unless you unzipped them. MAME4ALL is quite happy with zipped roms.

^ That's because you can ONLY used zipped ROM-sets with MAME. ;)

Top tip, actually, for those unfamiliar with MAME: Never unzip your files. They need to be zipped.

^ That's because you can ONLY used zipped ROM-sets with MAME. ;)

Top tip, actually, for those unfamiliar with MAME: Never unzip your files. They need to be zipped.
You are, of course, correct. ;)

I doff my cap to you Sir.

Effigy might interest you. It's not an emulator, but a universal frontend for all your emulators (or will be when it's ready).

Precisely what I seek, I'll keep my eye on that one!

Back