Dosbox Ready For Pandora

FYI to those that follow this thread, the dosbox videos will be a little more delayed. It appears the mk2 drivers dont play well on the mk1 which ED has, so we will waiting until a new mk2 arrives for him to play with.

GunPei2X said:
The GP2X had a port, so it's extremely likely the Pandora will too at some stage.
So, does this mean that Blood is viable? Or are voxels going to screw up any chance of a port?

Edit:

Ah, just saw Wizard's post. Thanks for the clarification, I was under the impression that the BUILD engine was as universal as the Doom engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blood would be awesome. I was hoping dosbox on pandora would be capable of running it and also carmageddon but it is probably not gonna happen unfortunately.

If Blake Stone works, I will be stoked. Just started playing it again recently, and it is really fun considering how old it is.

Hey Pickle! :)

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, and to let everyone know that if Pickle puts in even half the effort he did for the GP2X release, the Pandora's version of DOSBox is going to be the most awesome implementation of PC gaming ever seen on a handheld. In the future, when I have more moneys and can afford one of these little beauties, I'll be sure to pick one up for myself. For now, I'm just happy to watch the progress.

Very stoked that DOSBox is going to see such a great outing on this system. Keep it up guys!

sold said:
Blood would be awesome. I was hoping dosbox on pandora would be capable of running it and also carmageddon but it is probably not gonna happen unfortunately.

If Blake Stone works, I will be stoked. Just started playing it again recently, and it is really fun considering how old it is.
Yeah, I feel the same way, portable Carmageddon would be amazing, however after what I have heard, I won't hold my breath...

BadAstronaut said:
Hey Pickle! :)

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, and to let everyone know that if Pickle puts in even half the effort he did for the GP2X release, the Pandora's version of DOSBox is going to be the most awesome implementation of PC gaming ever seen on a handheld. In the future, when I have more moneys and can afford one of these little beauties, I'll be sure to pick one up for myself. For now, I'm just happy to watch the progress.

Very stoked that DOSBox is going to see such a great outing on this system. Keep it up guys!
Thanks, but dont forget im not the only one that has worked on it, I wouldnt want to take all the credit :D

Hey, I was just wondering the likelihood of "Skunny: Save our Pizzas" being able to be run on the Pandora's Dosbox.

shadow.8 said:
sold said:

Yeah, I feel the same way, portable Carmageddon would be amazing, however after what I have heard, I won't hold my breath...

On my E6300 I used to have 1.86GHZ 2MB cache it required about 40,000 Cycles to run Carmageddon full speed.

So it would be a amazing if they run properly on the Pandora even with the beast clocked @ 900MHZ.

PSyMastR said:
Hey, I was just wondering the likelihood of "Skunny: Save our Pizzas" being able to be run on the Pandora's Dosbox.

Never heard of this game but the screenshots ive seen look like standard vga, this game has a good chance of running. Again the best way to tell is to try it in dosbox and determine the number of cycles it needs to run. If you can run it around 2000 then you can count on it running.

authoreyes said:
This is huge!

Thanks much for the effort! I was really encouraged by the semi-almost-nearly not quite playable framerates I received with FPS Football Pro on the psp, so, using a bizarre, almost incomparable frame of reference I imagine it will be playable on the pandora :)

Sorry for the incoherent ramblings.....but I can't wait to waste hours of my life trying old gems and waiting for each +1 frame iteration!
I hope that someone writes a new pc emulator that has better performance on the same hardware than dosbox. Dosbox is really slow, even my emac 700mhz power-PC has a very hard time running commander keen.

Chris

Pickle said:
PSyMastR said:

Never heard of this game but the screenshots ive seen look like standard vga, this game has a good chance of running. Again the best way to tell is to try it in dosbox and determine the number of cycles it needs to run. If you can run it around 2000 then you can count on it running.

2000 can't really be the best it can do, can it? I recall the PSP version's auto max cycles being set to 3000.

How come the emulator is so slow? I thought it would have been able to achieve Xbox speeds at least.

Gasp(!)... is the Pandora not really as fast as we hoped?

EvilDragon said:
Got the binaries, just don't have time to do videos today.
Will look for some nice DOS Games during the weekend and then make some beginning of next week.
Any success on running some DOS games ?

Eniko said:
2000 can't really be the best it can do, can it? I recall the PSP version's auto max cycles being set to 3000.

I was a little taken back at that number too. We need more testing done.

Pickle said:
Eniko said:

I was a little taken back at that number too. We need more testing done.
- Compare speed with SBemu on, and off. I had some games running at 1200-1400 cycles w/o SB emulation versus 800-900 with SB1 (no dropouts) on 400mhz Omap2420.

Try SB1 emulation instead of SB16.

Is there oprofile on pandora yet? I think there was. I was seeing 7-15% cpu use for the fmopl if i recall correctly. That combined with the severe drop in cycles when turning SB on led me (and dosbox core devs) to suspect that fmopl was trashing the 16kB omap cache.

For those of you who really want faster dosbox, consider donating to a developer fund to get the Sound Blaster emulation (or just the FM synth) running on the DSP. As of yet, the DSP coders i've talked-to do not want to touch that TI dsp voluntarily.

cheers

ok curious, does this mean u'd be able to play like PC games on the Pandora. like say an mmo such as hyrule online or World of hyrule?

ninjamonkey said:
ok curious, does this mean u'd be able to play like PC games on the Pandora. like say an mmo such as hyrule online or World of hyrule?
No. This is purely for old games made for Microsoft DOS. It would appear, as far as I can tell anyway, that the games you mention are for Microsoft Windows. They won't run via this. (And before you ask: Running Windows - even much much older versions - within DOSBox isn't really feasible or practical, and would almost certainly be unusable. :p)

Back