Dosbox Problems

Mmmh suspiciously, I can map the dpad to down, right and up keys, but it doesn't work with left (in Ultima VI).
Does anybody have an idea to tackle the problem? :)

Weird, NOW the keymapper doesn't show for me either.

I don't know what I was doing differently before...

I'm starting to think that a better solution for this (and for ALL programs that have badly-assigned keys on the Pandora, of which there are a whole ton) would be to have a simple way in the OS to reassign keys to different functions, and to easily switch from one "assignment" to another.

That way if some game insists on using "Space" as an action button, we can just switch to the configuration in which "Space" is mapped to one of the 4 face buttons.

If anyone's still having trouble with improperly mapped keys, try this. Simply download this mapper.txt file and replace the existing one in the pandora\appdata\dosbox\.dboxfe directory.

Then you'll get the following key mappings:

A (key 278)=lctrl

B (key 279)=rshift

Y (key 280)=space

X (key 281)=lalt

L (key 303)=rshift

R (key 305)=lalt

I've found that to be pretty comfortable for most games I've tried. In Commander Keen, for example, it's not that hard to do the impossible pogo trick that way, simply by pressing down with your thumb on two keys, X followed by A.

I think it only works if you're using dboxfe, though I'm not sure (it's in the .dboxfe folder, after all...)

Does anyone have problems where their down and right dpad buttons dont map properly to anything?

I can change it in the mapper but I'd rather fix it using mapper.txt
I tried out the one in this thread but it didnt help.

Critical_Impact said:
Does anyone have problems where their down and right dpad buttons dont map properly to anything?

I've been trying to use the key mapper to map the arrow keys to the pandora's Dpad for Might & Magic 3 but i've been unable to make it work. Dosbox sees the Dpad up arrow as print screen, and the left Dpad key as right alt. The other two dpad directions Dosbox sees as unknown key. If I delete the existing mappings for print screen and right alt, I can get the up arrow and left arrow working, but everytime I quit dosbox and relaunch it I have to remap the down and right arrow keys.

Anyone have any idea why some of the pandora's buttons show up as Unknown Key to dosbox?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonney said:
Critical_Impact said:

I've been trying to use the key mapper to map the arrow keys to the pandora's Dpad for Might & Magic 3 but i've been unable to make it work. Dosbox sees the Dpad up arrow as print screen, and the left Dpad key as right alt. The other two dpad directions Dosbox sees as unknown key. If I delete the existing mappings for print screen and right alt, I can get the up arrow and left arrow working, but everytime I quit dosbox and relaunch it I have to remap the down and right arrow keys.

Anyone have any idea why some of the pandora's buttons show up as Unknown Key to dosbox?

theres an option i think your missing usescancodes or something similar. Should be off

Hahaha, that got the dpad working great :D

That really needs to be off by default in DBoxFE.

The other thing I'd love to see in DBoxFe is the ability to get it to run an exe automatically instead of just mounting.

I changed it in the conf file, but after the first run it removed the entire autoexec section for my conf.

I have a question :

In DosBoxFe, I'd like to make a Profile where my game is launched when I choose it.

I want to edit the autoexec option, but I can't.

How can I do ?

BAFelton said:
I have a question :

In DosBoxFe, I'd like to make a Profile where my game is launched when I choose it.

I want to edit the autoexec option, but I can't.

How can I do ?

only way i know is to add the filename to launch manually in the conf

I am operating a Windows Vista machine with current updates, USB mouse and standard sound card. I am not to tech savy but have some knowledge of basic DOS funtions and can get my way around a computer.

---

I recently purchased a vintage CD-ROM edition of "Star Trek - 25th Anniversary" and am just itching to play it. I know I need to use DOSbox and I have done all of the right steps found on several different forums but am still having problems. Here are the issues at hand:

1-Install: I can get it to the point where I am in the install process when it suddenly just freezes after I select the sound option. When I go into the install folder only half the files are there. Am I selecting the wrong options? I guide it to install to that folder (after all the proper mounting is done), select VGA and have tried it with all the different sound options only to get the same result. Options?

2-Mouse: This is the most frustrating of it all. The game requires a mouse to play properly and is not working. The game changes the mouse into a "hand" icon that you can use but will not move. I can freeze and unfreeze (alt-F10) the mouse and I see a black cursor but it doesn't give me control of the hand. I have a USB mouse, is that the problem? If so I am screwed because I do not have classic mouse ports.

3-Sound: I am only getting the basic sound you would get from a computer without speakers, what is the problem here?

Back