Dosbox74.pnd Dpad Mapping Problem?

dgame

How can the Pandora's Dpad be correctly mapped to the arrow keys in Dosbox?
The default mappings are the KEY_UP, KEY_DOWN, KEY_LEFT, KEY_RIGHT but they do not work.

The Pandora KEY_UP binds as "Key print screen" in the Dosbox keymapper.
The Pandora KEY_DOWN binds as "Key unknown key" in the Dosbox keymapper.
The Pandora KEY_LEFT binds as "Key right alt" in the Dosbox keymapper.
The Pandora KEY_RIGHT bungs as "Key unknown key" in the Dosbox keymapper.

The unknown keys do not work.

How can this be fixed?

Thanks.

I had set joystickype=none and even with joysicktype=auto the results are the same.

I think the Pandora joystick is the Nub and the Dpad is supposed to be the Arrows.
The Dpad/Arrows are recognized fine in MAME.

Do the Dpad arrows work for anyone else in Dosbox?

A simple test is to run Dosbox and type a command like "dir" and press enter.
Now press up on the Dpad and it should bring the "dir" back to the command line.
Pressing down should return the blank command line.
You also should be able to move the cursor left and right while there is text on the command line.

Activate the keymapper ("Misc" Tab in DosboxFE, if I recall correctly...)

The main issue is that your settings aren´t saved for next time (a user mentioned it worked for him having the SD card formatted as EXT2)

dgame said:
I had set joystickype=none and even with joysicktype=auto the results are the same.

I think the Pandora joystick is the Nub and the Dpad is supposed to be the Arrows.
The Dpad/Arrows are recognized fine in MAME.

Do the Dpad arrows work for anyone else in Dosbox?

A simple test is to run Dosbox and type a command like "dir" and press enter.
Now press up on the Dpad and it should bring the "dir" back to the command line.
Pressing down should return the blank command line.
You also should be able to move the cursor left and right while there is text on the command line.
Are you sure it is using the config file you're modifying? (Add something to the [autoexec] section like echo hello to see for sure)
Works for me in my build of dosbox with joysticktype=none.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right after I configure the arrows in keymapper the KEY_UP, KEY_DOWN,& KEY_RIGHT work but not the KEY_LEFT.

None of this saves.

I think this is a bug unless someone else has it working?

Is there a previous version of Dosbox that I can download?

I can't imagine that all of those Dosbox videos were done with no working arrows.

I have some cool stuff to show (Spectre, Rogue, Netmaze, etc.) but this is a problem as I need the arrows to use them.

dgame said:
Right after I configure the arrows in keymapper the KEY_UP, KEY_DOWN,& KEY_RIGHT work but not the KEY_LEFT.

None of this saves.

I think this is a bug unless someone else has it working?

Is there a previous version of Dosbox that I can download?

I can't imagine that all of those Dosbox videos were done with no working arrows.

I have some cool stuff to show (Spectre, Rogue, Netmaze, etc.) but this is a problem as I need the arrows to use them.
There is my alternative build and configuration (and named Winbox, for now) - atleast it has working arrow keys, but the config is a bit optimized for win3.1 (mostly cycles=max and joysticktype=none). Other that that it should work just as well as the Dosbox74.pnd for other dosboxy stuff too:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54985-win-3-1-via-dosbox-at-native-resolution/page__view__findpost__p__887198

urjaman said:
Are you sure it is using the config file you're modifying? (Add something to the [autoexec] section like echo hello to see for sure)
Works for me in my build of dosbox with joysticktype=none.

Yes, I confirmed that it is the correct dosbox-0.74.conf file.

Where can I get a copy of your build?

Thanks. Your build works.

urjaman said:
There is my alternative build and configuration (and named Winbox, for now) - atleast it has working arrow keys, but the config is a bit optimized for win3.1 (mostly cycles=max and joysticktype=none). Other that that it should work just as well as the Dosbox74.pnd for other dosboxy stuff too:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54985-win-3-1-via-dosbox-at-native-resolution/page__view__findpost__p__887198

I found the offending line in the default dosbox-0.74.conf:
usesancodes=true should be usesancodes=false

Your shift+tab=colon fix also works with Dosbox74.pnd by copying the appdata/winbox-1/.dosbox/mapper-0.74.map file to the appdata/dosbox/.dosbox/ folder.

Thank you very much!

dgame said:
I found the offending line in the default dosbox-0.74.conf:
usesancodes=true should be usesancodes=false

Your shift+tab=colon fix also works with Dosbox74.pnd by copying the appdata/winbox-1/.dosbox/mapper-0.74.map file to the appdata/dosbox/.dosbox/ folder.

Thank you very much!
Okay, now i remember that i changed that. I was just changing and tuning so much that i couldnt recall, but was sure that atleast in my version they work :p. And yeah the config and mapper files are exactly compatible ("winbox" = dosbox with one added VESA mode + different conf file). I didnt even want to change the name, but I think many/atleast some people would have had two Dosbox-icons on their desktop, so i changed it just to differentiate.

Back