Dosbox Problems

doragasu

Is there a tutorial for DosBox detailing how to do key mappings?

I'm having trouble trying to run Prince of Persia. First I had trouble mounting the C: drive, because keyboard mappings are weird, and to print "~" symbol (needed to mount a drive) you have to guess the key combination that prints it (in this case, [FN]+[SHIFT]+[H].

Then again I had problem to change to C drive, because again, the ":" character isn't mapped where it should. To print it, you must press [FN]+[SHIFT]+[,].

Well, so far so good, I mounted the game folder, changed to C drive, ran the game, the intro looks OK, I press a key and I have the prince in level 1 waiting to start his journey through the dungeons. I press the digital and analog pads and nothing happens. I press the gamepad buttons and nothing happens. I press EVERY KEY IN THE KEYBOARD and nothing happens. The game is running because I see the fire in the wall torches moving, but it looks like cursor keys are not mapped to any key in the console, so I cannot move the prince :( .

Googling I found people telling to change mappings in the config file, but I cannot find any config files in "/<sd_root>/pandora/appdata/dosbox/*".

So... How can I make the prince walk? 60 minutes are running out... ;)

I'm pretty sure that the arrow-keys are mapped to the d-pad. Is it not working for you?

EDIT: Scratch that - I somehow missed that you'd said that you tried it. :blink:

doragasu said:
Is there a tutorial for DosBox detailing how to do key mappings?

I'm having trouble trying to run Prince of Persia. First I had trouble mounting the C: drive, because keyboard mappings are weird, and to print "~" symbol (needed to mount a drive) you have to guess the key combination that prints it (in this case, [FN]+[SHIFT]+[H].

Then again I had problem to change to C drive, because again, the ":" character isn't mapped where it should. To print it, you must press [FN]+[SHIFT]+[,].

Well, so far so good, I mounted the game folder, changed to C drive, ran the game, the intro looks OK, I press a key and I have the prince in level 1 waiting to start his journey through the dungeons. I press the digital and analog pads and nothing happens. I press the gamepad buttons and nothing happens. I press EVERY KEY IN THE KEYBOARD and nothing happens. The game is running because I see the fire in the wall torches moving, but it looks like cursor keys are not mapped to any key in the console, so I cannot move the prince :( .

Googling I found people telling to change mappings in the config file, but I cannot find any config files in "/<sd_root>/pandora/appdata/dosbox/*".

So... How can I make the prince walk? 60 minutes are running out... ;)

config files I think were in /<sd_root>/pandora/appdata/dosbox/.dosbox
you change them manually you want to look in mapper.txt

ctrl+F1 will bring up the ingame key mapper, try that

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem, but I had it running previously on a pandora before I sent it away , im not aware of any changes I had done to my sd card,.

I have read somewhere that its because of the joystick setting and it needs to be on none but that doesnt seem to work for me.

edit: a link for you
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=53079&sid=40ef8016c1d36b0028c82b5a2c37ca47

try these solutions out, i will be trying them later (after work) let me know if you have any success

creating a config file that mounts to the correct games directory and then separate ones for each game requiring a cd image is what I do and it's simple,
See if this helps:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54883-dosbox-question/page__view__findpost__p__884848

Seems to be joystick problem, in dosbox fe go to preference then options and tick "start mapper".
then start as you would normally in the key mapper change the joystick 1's axis' to the up down left right and the joystick buttons ,
Should work now.

I'm also having some problems configuring keys:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/57424-dosbox/page__view__findpost__p__935554

What are the A/B/X/Y buttons actually mapped to by default?

Maybe a DOSBox with a proper default key configuration and an automount C-Directory would be some good thing to package.
I'll try if I can create such config :)

EvilDragon said:
Maybe a DOSBox with a proper default key configuration and an automount C-Directory would be some good thing to package.

automounting a C drive is already included

Pickle said:
EvilDragon said:

automounting a C drive is already included

Maybe but in appdata the only config that had the automount was for ver. .73 The v0.74 didn't. When I started dosbox I can't seem to enter in a ':' to change drive (ie. c:). I fixed it by open config and doing there. Also, I don't get anything when I try to do ctrl-F1 (with either ctrl below alt or right shoulder).

EvilDragon said:

I'd suggest alt, control, space and enter for the face buttons, And the two shoulder buttons as shift.

Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:

I'd suggest alt, control, space and enter for the face buttons, And the two shoulder buttons as shift.
I think Shift should be a face button, and Enter the shoulder buttons. Enter usually brought up the menu, while shift was used on a number of games as an action key (for example, Jazz Jackrabbit, if I'm remembering correctly).

Besides, Enter is already in an easy-to-reach spot, just below the action buttons. Shift is not.

I would expect home/endpg up/pg down, try removing the mappings for those.
Thank you, deleting those in the keymapper worked. Now I can finally use this emulator! :)

@dsleaf67, I've found that opening up DOS games is easy as pie if you're using dboxfe. See the guide I wrote here: http://pandorawiki.org/DOSBox
It's really simple and easy to remember.

Also, I don't get anything when I try to do ctrl-F1 (with either ctrl below alt or right shoulder).
Are you pressing the "Fn" key while pressing "1"?

P.S. Pickle, I was wondering if you have any idea about what could be causing the bug with Jazz Jackrabbit CD: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53942-post-your-dosbox-successes-here/page__view__findpost__p__935563
Two people have had it so far...

Thanks for help, I'll test it as soon as possible (I'm pretty busy right now :( ).

EDIT: Tested and working!

You have to pop the screen remapper: [CTRL]+[FN]+[1], but before doing that, you must put dosbox in FULLSCREEN mode (pressing [ALT]+[ENTER]), or the keymapper will not show (I don't know why).

There you have to map the controls to the keys inside the rectangle "Axis 1/2", in the middle of the screen. Y-, Y+, X- and X+ are obvious, 1 is the walk key and 2 is the attack key.

Hope this helps for everyone having trouble to save the princess!!

Sorry but no this doesn't help at all.

It seems my problem is more to to with keyboard somehow. Not using dosboxfe, just dosbox as I'm comfortable there. At the dos prompt I can't enter in a : (fn+.) I can do a semi-colon, or tab though. I've edited the proper .conf though to put in C: so I don't have to change drive letter manually. Therefore, I can play some games though, I played a fair amount of squarez and hexx just fine.

I can't do Ctrl+fn+1 to get mapper either no matter what. I've been able to alt+fn+4 when in xfce to close apps so I think I know how to do those combinations. All this does NOT happen if I simply hook up a USB keyboard though. I then have no issue.

This problem persists no matter which dosbox pnd I use (74 version on appstore or 74svn on archive). Also, I tried on a 4 Gig Sandisk Ultra class 4 as well same issue.

I have RC v4.6
8 GB Sandisk class 6
I'm from Canada and use all those proper north american settings (time zones etc,)

Any ideas? Anybody else using RC 4.6? Could it be this?

dsleaf67 said:

It seems my problem is more to to with keyboard somehow. Not using dosboxfe, just dosbox as I'm comfortable there. At the dos prompt I can't enter in a : (fn+.) I can do a semi-colon, or tab though. I've edited the proper .conf though to put in C: so I don't have to change drive letter manually. Therefore, I can play some games though, I played a fair amount of squarez and hexx just fine.

I can't do Ctrl+fn+1 to get mapper either no matter what. I've been able to alt+fn+4 when in xfce to close apps so I think I know how to do those combinations. All this does NOT happen if I simply hook up a USB keyboard though. I then have no issue.

This problem persists no matter which dosbox pnd I use (74 version on appstore or 74svn on archive). Also, I tried on a 4 Gig Sandisk Ultra class 4 as well same issue.

I have RC v4.6
8 GB Sandisk class 6
I'm from Canada and use all those proper north american settings (time zones etc,)

To print ":" you don't have to type [FN]+[.], instead you have to press [FN]+[SHIFT]+[,] (I wrote it in my first post, looks weird but it's the way it works).

Are you using DosBox in Full Screen mode? ([ALT]+[ENTER] to toggle). For me, the keymapper doesn't show if in windowed mode.

doragasu said:
Are you using DosBox in Full Screen mode? ([ALT]+[ENTER] to toggle). For me, the keymapper doesn't show if in windowed mode.
It does for me.

I use dboxfe instead of dosbox, because dboxfe starts with C:\ already set to the games directory. It's quicker.

DosBox also starts in the C: directory... if you configure it to do so. You only have to add the mount command line and then a "C:" line in the autoexec section of the config file. I'll try if the keymapper screen works in DosBoxFe in windowed mode.

doragasu said:
dsleaf67 said:

I have RC v4.6
8 GB Sandisk class 6

To print ":" you don't have to type [FN]+[.], instead you have to press [FN]+[SHIFT]+[,] (I wrote it in my first post, looks weird but it's the way it works).

ok, thats not obvious! I think I'll use external keyboard when working in here. I guess I can't use pandora keyboard as designed, Would be nice to have proper 'intuitive' mapping. Thanks for the help! Also, figured I have to use middle ctrl + fn+1 to get key mapper, not Rshoulder. :wub:

dsleaf67 said:
ok, thats not obvious! I think I'll use external keyboard when working in here. I guess I can't use pandora keyboard as designed, Would be nice to have proper 'intuitive' mapping. Thanks for the help! Also, figured I have to use middle ctrl + fn+1 to get key mapper, not Rshoulder. :wub:

Of course it's not XD! But if you look at your PC keyboard... what is the symbol printed with [SHIFT]+[.]? Of course, it's ":". So in the Pandora keyboard, you have to press the combination to print a "." + [SHIFT] to get the ":". Weird but that's how it works. I'm glad it's working for you too!

Back