Dosbox For Gp2x 0.72-5

Awesome, more performance. Nice to see that the previous version was not the last. :D

Thanks, Pickle and M_HT.

Also waiting for the archive to update. :rolleyes:

Pickle said:
This version has M_HT dynamic core changes for more performance.
Please give any feedback.

Binary Link
Source Link

WOW, Thanks Pickle!!!!!!! You are amazing! I didn't even have time to update for the last one.

Can you tell us how to make a "donation"??

I would gladly send a few cents to the pickle fund, as a thankyou for your continued work, as I am SURE others would as well....(Hint Hint). :)

DSR

Last edited by a moderator:
dsraa said:
Let me first say thanks for the offer, I dont think I could accept anything without feeling guilty. While the greedy part of me would love to get money from others, I would choose to decline offers like yours for the following reasons:

1. There are many other people involved in this effort and for me to accept donations at the others expense would bad on me. For example M-HT did all the real work on this last release, I just took his changes and compilied them and uploaded it into the server. To make money off that no matter the amount would be wrong.

2. I personally use a lot of "free" software on my GP2X that was no cost to me. A lot of work by a lot people went into the things I use. Again if i accepted a donation I would feel obliged to send the money I received to the authors of the things I use.

So given those reasons I have decided that the ports and coding I do and release are repayment back to the community for the software I use on my GP2X.

abelenki said:
i'm all new to GP2X DOSBox port. i've read README.TXT but didn't find any mention of this:

does GP2X DOSBox port support iso or cue/bin image mounting (as Win port of DOSBox)?

thanks.
sure this version supports eveything the x86 version does. Although most games that came on cd how to high of requirements then what the gp2x can give. But give it a shot, i would add the IMGMOUNT command in the autoexec part of the dosbox.conf.

Pickle said:
sure this version supports eveything the x86 version does. Although most games that came on cd how to high of requirements then what the gp2x can give. But give it a shot, i would add the IMGMOUNT command in the autoexec part of the dosbox.conf.
yep, thanks. i tried this even before you replied. i added this to dosbox.conf:

[autoexec]
IMGMOUNT D "/mnt/sd/dosbox/bbdisc/bubble.bin" -t iso

and it just mounted fine (i checked this by trying d:, then dir command in autoexec then).

the game i tried is Bubble Bobble Featuring Rainbow Islands. it seems to be not that demanding, but it's so slow when i run it :(

i tried to increase cycles value to max or to 1200 with no effect. anyway, the games really could be run, which is awesome. ;)

thanks for your work.

abelenki said:
Pickle said:
yep, thanks. i tried this even before you replied. i added this to dosbox.conf:

[autoexec]
IMGMOUNT D "/mnt/sd/dosbox/bbdisc/bubble.bin" -t iso

and it just mounted fine (i checked this by trying d:, then dir command in autoexec then).

the game i tried is Bubble Bobble Featuring Rainbow Islands. it seems to be not that demanding, but it's so slow when i run it :(

i tried to increase cycles value to max or to 1200 with no effect. anyway, the games really could be run, which is awesome. ;)

thanks for your work.

great glad it works. Did you set the core to dynamic? I tried to use max in the past and I dont think it works properly on the gp2x, since then ive always manually set the cycles like you are
If you look in the example mapper.txt there are a group of mappings to do frameskip and cycles. Those are very useful to try different cycles in-game. The debug OSD can show the current cycles and frameskip.

Pickle said:
dsraa said:
Let me first say thanks for the offer, I dont think I could accept anything without feeling guilty. While the greedy part of me would love to get money from others, I would choose to decline offers like yours for the following reasons:

Well then. A simple "Thanks for your work" is all I can offer then. I understand where you're coming from, as many of us have done releases such as yours some much less complicated, and none of us ask for a red cent in return. I also wasn't looking to obligate others as well into making any sort of a donation, because that would be wrong as well.

I just really appreciate you putting all of this work into Dosbox, and re-fining it, and re-building it, at such a fast rate. Again, thank you.

DSR

dsraa said:
Pickle said:
dsraa said:

Well then. A simple "Thanks for your work" is all I can offer then. I understand where you're coming from, as many of us have done releases such as yours some much less complicated, and none of us ask for a red cent in return. I also wasn't looking to obligate others as well into making any sort of a donation, because that would be wrong as well.

I just really appreciate you putting all of this work into Dosbox, and re-fining it, and re-building it, at such a fast rate. Again, thank you.

DSR

No problem the appreciation is more than enough.
The quick turn around although is partly because I wanted to try it myself :D
I hope M-HT keeps surprises us with more dynarec updates.

Thus far I haven't even tried Dosbox on the gp2x.. (I know, I know, but there is just so much other software on the GP2x that keeps me busy). I would just like to offer my appreciation to everyone involved. There are a few games I plan on trying.

I hadn't really given dosbox much of a try due to being kind of complicated and not being sure which games would work well. nice to see it being worked on though and hopefully I'll find some fun games to play with this.

Hi,
Thank you very much for this dosbox and for your nice spirit ! ^^
I'm a newbie on this forum and in dosbox for GP2X, little big adventure works fine on gp2x with dosbox ?

Sakuragi said:
Hi,
Thank you very much for this dosbox and for your nice spirit ! ^^
I'm a newbie on this forum and in dosbox for GP2X, little big adventure works fine on gp2x with dosbox ?
thanks!
LBA probally will run, but im not confident it would be playable. You would have to run it with no sound for sure.
Give it shot and post back if you do.

Pickle said:

Binary Link
Source Link

I don't know if it is something that I am doing or my machine is wacky or what but there seems to be a problem with sound. First, if I touch any other button on the controller besides the right shoulder button before the game is actually playing, I get no sound. If I start the game using just the right shoulder buton then I get sound, but the sound is delayed by a second or 2. This happens in Duke 1 (which came with it, no changes at all), keen 4 and keen 5. I haven't tried anything else yet. It also happened in the last release (I guess it was just regular 72). At first I thought it was the mapper file, but I created my own and still have the same problem. So I have to have the right shoulder button as enter, like I said, hitting any other button before the game starts (and I am playing) there is silence.
Any suggestions?

Chris

jbrodack said:
I hadn't really given dosbox much of a try due to being kind of complicated and not being sure which games would work well. nice to see it being worked on though and hopefully I'll find some fun games to play with this.
I have just 2 words for you... Apogee and Epic

Those were shareware publishers in the early 90's and have many classics that are fun to play and easy on resources.
Duke Nukem (original) , Keen (4-7), Jill of the Jungle, cosmo's cosmic adventures, Wolf 3d (that might be available as native gp2x though). That's just to get you started, there are literally thousands of games for tandy and ega that are well done and lots of fun.

Chris

wow....i just played Keen4 at full speed running at 225 mhz. No soundblaster, but just internal speaker. Seems a little faster than with a soundblaster. Pretty good stuff!!

christo930 said:
Pickle said:

Binary Link
Source Link

I don't know if it is something that I am doing or my machine is wacky or what but there seems to be a problem with sound. First, if I touch any other button on the controller besides the right shoulder button before the game is actually playing, I get no sound. If I start the game using just the right shoulder buton then I get sound, but the sound is delayed by a second or 2. This happens in Duke 1 (which came with it, no changes at all), keen 4 and keen 5. I haven't tried anything else yet. It also happened in the last release (I guess it was just regular 72). At first I thought it was the mapper file, but I created my own and still have the same problem. So I have to have the right shoulder button as enter, like I said, hitting any other button before the game starts (and I am playing) there is silence.
Any suggestions?
Chris
Sometimes I get some delays in the pc speaker sound and sometimes I get a buzz after something plays. It seems to get better when more performance is made, like with the dynamic core.
Try changing the cycles, you could also try messing with the sound settings in dosbox.conf i.e the buffer size

Back