Dosbox Version 6 - Usb Keyboard

slaanesh said:
sepulep said:
well...I didn't actually know about the FPS display, but now I have tested it:)

test with civilization intro, cycles:500, frameskip 1
OPL2: small gain of 1-2 fps on 10-15 fps
OPL3: definite gain of 2-3 fps on 10-12 fps.
Just wondering at what speed you clocked the GP2X at to achieve these results?

normal clock speed (btw with intro I mean before the main menu, not the world building intro)

Last edited by a moderator:
sepulep said:
slaanesh said:
sepulep said:

Just wondering at what speed you clocked the GP2X at to achieve these results?

normal clock speed (btw with intro I mean before the main menu, not the world building intro)

Normal means 200 Mhz? You may see your OPL3 work (or improve) if you overclock to something like 220-230 on both cores. You might also want to use the fast memory timings.

Another thought I had also, you may be able to increase your dosbox cycles since youve offloaded the OPL.

Also keep in mind the FPS reported is not a real FPS. Dosbox only updates the screen if something has changed, so if your on a screen that doesnt change the number could drop. Its more of a updates per second.

sepulep said:

in the OPL2 case furthermore the sound is much smoother in case of the 940 core. (Not prefect though)
in the OPL3 case again the sound is much smoother, basically no chopping until multiple voices kick in at that point the second core loses sync due to the workload (this can be checked by monitoring the messages send and executed). Then the sound becomes choppy.
10-15 FPS in Civ? :blink: And I hoped to see a FULL SPEED Commander Keen 4 onto my GP2X :lol: I haven't thought that DOSBOX is that far away from my definition of "speed". I always thought I just had a unoptimized configuration onto ma GP2X Dosbox.
I hope the Pandora Dosbox can use more hardware featured optimizations to bring more performance than just pure MHz related increasement.

Pickle said:
Normal means 200 Mhz? You may see your OPL3 work (or improve) if you overclock to something like 220-230 on both cores. You might also want to use the fast memory timings.

Another thought I had also, you may be able to increase your dosbox cycles since youve offloaded the OPL.

Also keep in mind the FPS reported is not a real FPS. Dosbox only updates the screen if something has changed, so if your on a screen that doesnt change the number could drop. Its more of a updates per second.
yep; I haven't tried the memory timings yet, but overclocking gives limited improved performance. At the moment though, I think I have speed up the OPL3 code even more ( to be updated shortly on the archive), so it can actually play the civ intro and keep up. Note that the code does not circumvent the sound code of dosbox: dosbox still mixes and sends sound data to the sound device, so in case dosbox is hard pressed the sound will still have artifacts (but at least it does not have the burden of FM synthesis).

sepulep what are your thoughts on making it possible to use both methods via a selection in the dosbox.conf?
rough example:
OPL_MODE=SINGLE_THREAD_OPL
or
OPL_MODE=MULTI_THREAD_OPL

Pickle said:
sepulep what are your thoughts on making it possible to use both methods via a selection in the dosbox.conf?
rough example:
or
yea, although it would be better if one doesn't need to think about these things, but probably it always going to a bit of a tradeoff (also, considering battery life effects..) think in the end a seperate option would be nicer (I was thinking anyway of reverting to single thread code in case the sound core file was not found)....

sepulep said:
Pickle said:
rough example:
or
yea, although it would be better if one doesn't need to think about these things, but probably it always going to a bit of a tradeoff (also, considering battery life effects..) think in the end a seperate option would be nicer (I was thinking anyway of reverting to single thread code in case the sound core file was not found)....

Well if you want to implement it ive added new parameters for the dosbox.conf already and it wouldnt be hard to create a new one for you.
I guess work would be to implement code to allow both ways in the fmopl.c

Back