Dosbox For Gp2x 0.72-4

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
The major changes for this version are
1. M_HT ARM dynamic backend was added: This gives a small boost in speed, games will feel like they have a little more jump and response. M_HT you are awesome!
2. Paeryn's SDL Library with Senor Quack's touchscreen fixes. Using the touchscreen should no longer pause the screen when touched, CPU load was lowered. The accuracy was also improved. So if you use the touchscreen for mouse emulation you will want to update.
3. The release also has some minor fixes for some of the features ive added, but nothing any one should worry about.

The only change you will want to make is set your core to auto or dynamic in the dosbox.conf. I suggest dynamic.
Ive added some more info in general into the readme to answer most questions on the mapper.txt.

UPDATE: Files have been updated on the server.
Binary Link
Source Link

If you cant get it to work at all or cant get a feature to work, please post in this thread and I or someone else will try and help.

I pretty confident this will be the last release. I want to thank everyone who has helped. This release is a testament of the quality of people we have in this community. It makes me proud to have been a part of it.

So this now has a dynarec core! Absolutely amazing. So glad you got MH-T's code to work; they guy is a coding genius, and you're not bad yourself!

So thanks Paeryn, thanks Pickle, and thanks MH-T, and thanks everyone else involved! I'm very glad indeed that dosbox has now been pushed about as far as it can be (if I've understood correctly) on a 2x.

Tobriand said:
So this now has a dynarec core! Absolutely amazing. So glad you got MH-T's code to work; they guy is a coding genius, and you're not bad yourself!

So thanks Paeryn, and thanks MH-T, and thanks everyone else involved! I'm very glad indeed that dosbox has now been pushed about as far as it can be (if I've understood correctly) on a 2x.
M_HT had eveything working so it was just a matter of copying the files and turning on a define. Not very hard, he did all the hard work.

The dyanmic core as I follow as implemented in dosbox is fairly simple in a recompiling sense. It sounds like the method used lends itself more to x86 recomplied on x86, not x86 on ARM. Which the reason for the small performance gain. But its better than nothing and the improvement is noticable. I wonder though it sounded like the MIPS dynamic backend gave a good performance jump. Maybe that arch is better suited to dosbox's recompiling methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice stuff guys. Good to see a continues development of the DosBox port.

Regards,
Stephan

Thanks a lot!
I always enjoy reading about improvements concerning dos-emulation......and testing it is even better, by far
:)

shodan

shodan said:
Thanks a lot!
I always enjoy reading about improvements concerning dos-emulation......and testing it is even better, by far
:)

shodan
Thanks,
I also enjoy the "testing"

Wow, another update. Thanks a bunch, I really really need to pull my finger out and get this one going.

out of interest, how playable do you think the following games would be:

Elder Scrolls Arena
Betrayal At Krondor (I know you're porting that from linux but still...)
Eye of the Beholder
Any of the SSI games such as Pools of Radiance or the Savage Frontier games?

Cheers!

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
Wow, another update. Thanks a bunch, I really really need to pull my finger out and get this one going.

Elder Scrolls Arena
Eye of the Beholder

Cheers!
I can't speak for the Elder scrolls or Betrayal at Krondor, but the "Gold Box" games do/did run quite well on very old versions of Dosbox (my GP2X died 6 months ago). I had an F100, so I didn't have any sort of on-screen keyboard (does this version of dos box support that?). If there isn't one you might find it hard to answer riddles or name your characters and such. :)

mindlord said:

Elder Scrolls Arena
Eye of the Beholder

Cheers!
I can't speak for the Elder scrolls or Betrayal at Krondor, but the "Gold Box" games do/did run quite well on very old versions of Dosbox (my GP2X died 6 months ago). I had an F100, so I didn't have any sort of on-screen keyboard (does this version of dos box support that?). If there isn't one you might find it hard to answer riddles or name your characters and such. :)

I havnt tried any of those, I would think they would run but i think they would be slow.

My brother was playing EOB 2 very well but on the PSP version of Dosbox. Though since the CPU power is similar I guess it will work well here too. Now with the touchpad and speed improvements, I'd really like to try it on GP2X-F200 too. But I just wonder, is it is to differentiate left from right click with the touch? (Is it supported in a way, like pushing the left pad while touching at the same time for right instead of left click?)

At least Eye of the Beholder is available on snes or genesis ....I think.
And some of the old SSI stuff was released on the C-64.

Don´t know if the versions differ but you could give it a try on full speed emulation ;)

Elder Scrolls Arena
I'm very interested to know about Arena as well! I tried both Arena & Daggerfall with the previous update, and got nothing but a black screen.

But knowing me, it was most definitely user error. :rolleyes: Anyone else willing to take a stab at the appropriate config files? :D

I tried this out recently again.. tried to get Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space working.

I'm running a F200 with 4.0.0 firmware. The mouse controls seemed to be all over the place, with the mouse cursor jumping to the left and right. Is it possible this is the fuzzy F200 touchpad? If so is it possible to average out some of that fuzzyness to get a more accurate mouse pointer?

Thanks!

Trevor Bradley said:
I tried this out recently again.. tried to get Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space working.

I'm running a F200 with 4.0.0 firmware. The mouse controls seemed to be all over the place, with the mouse cursor jumping to the left and right. Is it possible this is the fuzzy F200 touchpad? If so is it possible to average out some of that fuzzyness to get a more accurate mouse pointer?

Thanks!
I couldn't get rid of the jitter completely, but it should be improved somewhat. I'll try out the latest version later, perhaps, and see if it has my code or not (I can tell from the way the cursor behaves)

It now should be using a 15-sample weighted history (with a system to correct for lag and large variances) as opposed to a 5-sample history (with high CPU usage and inaccurate tapping)

Senor Quack said:
Trevor Bradley said:

Thanks!
I couldn't get rid of the jitter completely, but it should be improved somewhat. I'll try out the latest version later, perhaps, and see if it has my code or not (I can tell from the way the cursor behaves)

It now should be using a 15-sample weighted history (with a system to correct for lag and large variances) as opposed to a 5-sample history (with high CPU usage and inaccurate tapping)

Im very confident that your changes were added from the feedback ive gotten.

Back