DOS ???

booby

Still Fresh
Website
www.gp32club.fr.st
hello
i just want to know if its con be possible to addapt a sor tof dos on gp 32 , like that most game con be play ( most game just need mouse to play ) and it could be great..

answer plz and sorry for my bad english , iam french

hey booby! u really should get a avatar that has the same theme as ur name(LOL :D )

Oh yeah....

welcome to the forum!

Yeah unfortunately DOS is owned. I want Amiga DOS. I wonder if that's just plain stupid. Probably. And likewise, it is owned. But maybe Cloanto would liscence for that or something.

No, you wont ever get a workable DOS emulator for the GP32, as to do that successfully you would need to do x86 emulation, which is fucking hard to accomplish on a Pentium/Athlon, let alone a 133mhz ARM CPU.

I am aware of a reasonably decent x86 emulator for Handheld PCs, but it is closed source, so no go.

Dosbox is an opensource dos emulator that runs on many platforms, windows included. It is oriented towards playing old games. Has soudblaster support etc...

Nelligan posted on Dec 12 2003 at 01:43 PM said:
Dosbox is an opensource dos emulator that runs on many platforms, windows included. It is oriented towards playing old games. Has soudblaster support etc...
And it runs at the speed of a 386/33 on my Athlon 2100+

Last edited by a moderator:
Swiss_Cheeseman, well that is not entirely true... PC-Task (latest version) on the Amiga 4000, 68040 processor wich (if I remeber correctly) ran in 40 Mhz could emulate a 386 at say 20-25 Mhz speed (becuase in emulation this is just estimated figures somethings ran very slow and some where on the par with say 486 33 Mhz).

That Amiga on the processor side of things had about 30-40 MIPS and ARM9 (GP32) has about 160 MIPS in 150 Mhz... so that tells me if the same programmer made PC-Task for Arm9 that would be pretty fast too... atleast 386 20-25 Mhz speed I think...
If I remember correctly the speed gain was all the BIOS ran nativly (the calls in the emu ran native 680xx) this was a huge speed up in DOS for example... then i made a very cool JIT that some times speed the emu very much... plus I think he was a good programmer and so on... but anyway... I ran Windows 3.0 (not 3.1 or WFW) on this on my Amiga 500 which had about 1 MIPS (compare to GP32 160 MIPS in 150 Mhz) and it worked... pretty slow but it worked... so a DOS/x86 emu would be possible...
Why your emu is running that slow is probably because it's very portable and emulates EVERYTHING but that is not nedeed for a "DOS emu"... You have a freeware source or something and make it GP32 only this would be possible...

did you just say that x89 is hard to emulate on pentium/athalon? pentiums/athalons use the x86 instruction code. they ARE x86s!

no longer use x86 hardware? all processors out there for the pc (pentium, athlon,via) are x86 based. even the athlon 64 (x86-64)

x86 is the architecture PCs (i.e.- windows and linux based) use. Macs use the powerPC architecture. I don't know the name of the architecture amigas use. TheGP32, and most (if not all) Handhelds use the ARM architecture.

Oh, And PS2 uses its own proprietry architecture, xbox uses x86, and gamecube uses powerPC.

Yeah unfortunately DOS is owned. I want Amiga DOS. I wonder if that's just plain stupid. Probably. And likewise, it is owned. But maybe Cloanto would liscence for that or something.

AmigaDOS is still owned by Amiga Inc. Cloanto just produce Amiga Forever, which has licensed versions of the Kickstart ROMS and AmigaDOS included - to be honest, I doubt it would ever happen. BUT - I was talking to Fleecy Moss (vice president of Amiga Inc) the other day, and he said he may be interested in the GP32 as a platform for AmigaDE, one of the current things in production by Amiga.

Sounds cool, but will it ever happen? Who knows!

WOW... sound great!!!
AmigaDE... What is that? Amiga OS lookalike? About the same GUI but on other processors then MC680X0 or PPC???

mmhhh I have MS DOS 6 sourcecode but I know that it's copyrighted...what a pity, it could be so possible to do something!!

Back