Is DOS Possible?

Safety

Still Fresh
Would it be possible to have DOS on a GP?

Would it run OK?

Would it run faster if you could get a GP to boot-up like a PC, so rather than emulating DOS,
it just ran it like a real PC?

If sound and video drivers were created to look to games like a soundblaster or something then surely you could just install games onto the SMC?

The SMC could be C:\ that would be fancy.

I don't know if DOS is copyrighted

i think yes but it would be a bit useless, since we dont have a keyboard yet and only the "poor" apps require dos only, most also need a x86 processor.. so you need to port a pc emu like dosbox, which emulates 286,386 and 486 and also includes dos...
but i think its very hard..

It'd have to be extremely limited to work. I mean, it might work in terms of power...but the sticking point is more or less the same as the amiga's; the versatility of the machine. PC's are good for emulating these sorts of things because you can add all the options in the world and the power's there. There's no inconvenience configuring it on the fly if you know what to do, either. If I were to do it, I'd eliminate the need for keyboard as much as possible - I'd include a user-configurable DOS program launch application.

DOS as we see it, is more than just the software, it's drivers for video, mice etc. To make a simple DOS clone would be OK, it's making drivers etc that can support the Video and sound from games that would require the extra work. In a console emulation the hardware is a set config, in DOS it could be just a 80x24 text, CGA, EGA or VGA screen, serial or PS/2 mouse, and the list goes on. There is an open source? project called BOCHS which would be a good starting point if someone want to try a port. hint, use the serial port for the keyboard.

Back