Doing Business In China

Interesting post on the Google blog today. They're as mad as hell, etc.

We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.
Wow.

http://googleblog.bl...h-to-china.html

this conversation seems so one sided,

i can say that if you keep nosing around you will always find new issues.

why not turn the table around huh? remember DDT the bug killa? Cyclon-B cleaning solution? they are old old ago but im sure that if i go googling i can also find toxic products from almost any country.

asbest used to be worldwide some ages ago.

this is not a matter of happenings but the economical and tech age each country is running on.

china products wouldnt be sooo economic if they werent suffering what the other 1st world country around the world.

DroneB Dev said:
this is not a matter of happenings but the economical and tech age each country is running on.
I agree. We're all watching as China finds its feet on the global manufacturing stage. There's going to be some greed and corruption, and some crashing and burning. But over time their practices will come into line with the rest of the world.

Indeed, they're not the only country who have produced dangerous products. Let's not start on the global pharmaceutical giants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Let's not start on the global pharmaceutical giants.
Yeah... let us not...
DroneB Dev said:
Well, the only problem there is that China is BIG, they have cities with sky scrapers EVERYWHERE, but they still have poor farmers and small school houses. Their country is in this time, but large sections of it are displaced and scattered everywhere else.

A lot of scorn can be placed on china, but there are a lot of pitiful parts that are being overlooked too.

craigix said:
peelie said:
"Without any experience of business in China, or any language skills, it has been a gruelling process."

lol funniest line in article...doh!

Surely the wooden bike was the funniest part? I had tears in my eyes.

Hey, why didn't I get a wooden Pandora case instead of that cheap plastic one :p
That would've been way cooler :D

Last edited:
let's just hope the moulds aren't made of wood with some metallic color brushed over.

conso said:
let's just hope the moulds aren't made of wood with some metallic color brushed over.
I just hope they aren't pink.

conso said:

I reckon a wooden pandora would be pretty cool. Especially if it was thick enough, it'd have the retro look to go with the retro games people will be playing on emulators.

ED, YOU SICK SON OF A BASTARD!!!! You're giving me fantasies....I wantz a woody Pandora....woody.....

S-r-ex said:
ED, YOU SICK SON OF A BASTARD!!!! You're giving me fantasies....I wantz a woody Pandora....woody.....
It's a nice, woody word, isn't it? PanDORRRRRRRRRa. Not tinny at all.

Better keep your mouths shut or you might end up with one in paper :)

Seriously though, one thing that the Chinese are good with seems to be paper. My first board game have all it's paper and cardboard made in China and the quality is fantastic. My Swedish publisher seems to have found a really good Chinese printing company. The wood components are made in Italy and while the wood seems nice they could have used a bit more paint. I've only seen the finished game briefly in Essen (Spiel 2009, back in October), still waiting for my own copy, should get here soon I hope as they started shipping out in December.

Awakening said:
Better keep your mouths shut or you might end up with one in paper :)

Seriously though, one thing that the Chinese are good with seems to be paper. My first board game have all it's paper and cardboard made in China and the quality is fantastic. My Swedish publisher seems to have found a really good Chinese printing company. The wood components are made in Italy and while the wood seems nice they could have used a bit more paint. I've only seen the finished game briefly in Essen (Spiel 2009, back in October), still waiting for my own copy, should get here soon I hope as they started shipping out in December.
wow. can one make a living from board-game development? Have so many ideas ^^

EvilDragon said:
Hey, why didn't I get a wooden Pandora case instead of that cheap plastic one :p
That would've been way cooler :D

It would've, unless it was covered in slivers :p

conso said:
wow. can one make a living from board-game development? Have so many ideas ^^
Most people say it's not possible and that it is purely a hobby but I say that it is possible. It is however very difficult to make a living doing nothing else but design board games and very very few manage that. An unknown designer gets only a small share of the profit and it's not gonna get a whole lot bigger. Most games sell less then 10'000 copies, over a few years. However, if you do the math then if you have worked up a few good games that sells at the same time then it is possible to live on it, but you won't get rich.

My 2nd game will be published by Z-Man Games, I met the CEO in Essen and he liked my game. Most publishers however won't accept unsolicited designs or listen to new designers, and no one will accept a design that is not in line with their other products unless they are looking at expanding/modifying their current range.

Wheels said:
S-r-ex said:
It's a nice, woody word, isn't it? PanDORRRRRRRRRa. Not tinny at all.

:lol: Gone Gone GOOONEEEE nice and woody GOOONEEEE

Thanks for the link to this interesting dokumentary. However, I have no compassion for these people (except for the old one trying sell his air cond. box) . They go to China because they are looking for ridiculously cheap products and they want to sell the products in the West for 100x the price. If they have to eat donkey's dick in the process they expect everyone to pity them. Well, I won't! China is only so cheap because it is a developing country whose government is pursuing an unfair price dumping policy and looks the other way when it come to product safty, copy rights issues and working conditions. All this (missed schedules and broken promises included) is part of the deal. Every entrepreneur should know that. I don't think that this is a valid excuse for all the delays. Because ultimately OP were the ones who picked their business partners. It is still your responsibility. I transferred my money to OP and not a Chinsese company. You should have looked for more experienced and reliable partners elsewhere even if that would have meant a higher price.

Back