Pandora: The Journey

bustaballs

Pandora: The Journey is an epic adventure RPG starring Craigx, Evil Dragon, and friends on their journey to develop the most amazing gaming handheld device that has ever come into existence. They battle fearsome foes such as Global Economic Depression, Endless Holidays and Major Inconvenience while constantly fighting off hordes of Vaporware Trolls and Shipping Delays. Their quest takes them all around the world until they finally have to climb the Tower of Babel itself in order to overcome the confusion that faces them in China. Are you ready for what awaits? Never give up, overcome your challenges, and you will one day achieve..

PANDORA!

Ok?
Forgive me, I'm always skeptical of "big idea" type posts, no matter where they are, because it's usually followed by "I have no ability to program, draw, or otherwise contribute, but I'll let someone else use my idea and we can split any donations we get!"

WizardStan said:
Ok?
Forgive me, I'm always skeptical of "big idea" type posts, no matter where they are, because it's usually followed by "I have no ability to program, draw, or otherwise contribute, but I'll let someone else use my idea and we can split any donations we get!"

It's not a real project. It's just a silly thread that I thought people might want to contribute to.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Ok?

Why be skeptical? Even if that is the case, a good idea can be worth millions.

Think about the guy who came up with the simple idea of putting a little plastic container of Oreo crumbs or something on the top of a yogurt container.

The idea seems simple at first, until you go into the specifics. Did he know how to design the moulds or whatever for the container? Or negotiate and write the legal contract between the companies (EDIT: the Oreo company and the yogurt one, that is)? Or animate the advertisements for the company? Yet that company is making huge money from selling those things... that HE thought of.

The sad thing is most people think like you in this case, and that's why that guy (or girl?) is probably not in on it at all.

The best code monkey in the world is powerless without an idea. As is an otherwise incompetent guy who has a stroke of brilliance and is like, "This idea would be AWESOME!"

Combine the two, and you get an amazing product. Call me crazy, but I think this sort of thing happening is good, and that the person with the idea definitely should have the right to want a share of any income it may generate.

By the way I'm not really either. I struggle with both ideas and their implementations as a rather mediocre CS student. I'm just saying... criticizing people with ideas is a step in the wrong direction.

For a moment I thought the OP was quoting the intro to Dragon's Lair... Evil Dragon

AquaAnalogue said:
By the way I'm not really either. I struggle with both ideas and their implementations as a rather mediocre CS student. I'm just saying... criticizing people with ideas is a step in the wrong direction.
No one criticized. I said I'm skeptical of people with "big ideas". Skepticism is very healthy. If you run blindly into every idea that comes along, you're going to run out of resources.
The problem with ideas is that everyone has one sooner or later, especially in the computer world, and they all think it's a great idea. The people who believe in their ideas do some work and flesh them out, they'll take the time to create something more and convince people it's worth working on: these are the people you want to work with, and they sadly make up about 1% of the ideas out there. Of the remaining 99%, the idea already exists, or the idea-thinker-upper can't be arsed to help flesh out the idea and can't understand why no one is interested in their "big idea", often both: these people will suck up all your time and then complain about it when the whole thing falls apart because they expect too much.
Yes, when you find that 1/100 idea, run with it and everyone benefits, but when 99% of them are doomed from the start, it doesn't hurt to ask questions. Note I even said that they're usually followed by the requester saying they have no ability to contribute further. Frequently, when I've encountered such big ideas, I encourage the person to put more work into it, build their story, build their world, actually do some work to convince someone their idea is better than the other 99 that come around. I've even got some websites that help with that sort of thing. And then they never come back, or come back with insults because I don't understand their big idea.
Skepticism is good, you'll get burned out working on bad ideas if you aren't.

I've already got at least 3 pretty large game projects that I'll probably never finish. I doubt I'd ever start on something like this.

So how would the game start out? The meeting where everyone decided to start working on it? Maybe them all sitting at a table and shouting "Let's do it!" followed by the Justice Friends transition animation.

This sounds like something fun to play for awhile..

BUT!
I can think up an idea to make it a little better to non rpg fans..

Use the openBOR (Open Beats of Rage) engine and make it a beat 'em up!!

beats_of_rage_7iR_thumb.jpg

> Post IDEA for CRAIGINATOR on GP32X BOARD
You post the idea for a game console that will rock everyone's world.

It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a Gruso.

bustaballs said:
I've already got at least 3 pretty large game projects that I'll probably never finish. I doubt I'd ever start on something like this.

So how would the game start out? The meeting where everyone decided to start working on it? Maybe them all sitting at a table and shouting "Let's do it!" followed by the Justice Friends transition animation.

Well, This is the little guy that started it all. Michael posted a picture of his personal project on this forum, Which prompted a bit of a discussion between Craig and Michael.

Trooper

trooper said:
bustaballs said:

Well, This is the little guy that started it all. Michael posted a picture of his personal project on this forum, Which prompted a bit of a discussion between Craig and Michael.

Trooper
But how do arson and the use of firearms fit into this?

Username said:
But how do arson and the use of firearms fit into this?

I thought it was going to be a fantasy role-play epic, With wizards, Fairies, Spells and potions. :unsure:

Sort of, More true to life than arson and firearms.

Think A-Team. :rolleyes:

Trooper

No one likes the idea of a Beats of Rage style?

@ Username: You could like the idea! Just insert some hooker characters and flame weapons. I'm not sure if the engine can burn buildings, but you could always add some priests, ministers and all that crap....

The pope as a special level Boss, even!

pope.bmp
cross,gun,pope,pov,priest-e07ca730221f5b496201cca85f945d4b_m.jpg

lulzfish said:
It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a Gruso.
You meant "It is pitch black...", not just 'dark' ;)

kingoddball said:
No one likes the idea of a Beats of Rage style?

@ Username: You could like the idea! Just insert some hooker characters and flame weapons. I'm not sure if the engine can burn buildings, but you could always add some priests, ministers and all that crap....

The pope as a special level Boss, even!

pope.bmp
cross,gun,pope,pov,priest-e07ca730221f5b496201cca85f945d4b_m.jpg

This dangerously remembers me how Dudebro II was created on NeoGAF (believe tm).

Http://www.dudebro2.com

We could elaborate the history, characters and gameplay in a collaborative way,

Some people with drawing skills make the character concepts, concept drawings, mockups, and so on...

One or more people composing the music is needed, it can be done near the final development process.

We also need at least a coder and someone (one or more) with experience in videogame making (like a game designer or a homebrew game dev) to help guide the project in different areas.

For betatesting, I'm quite sure you'll find tons of volunters in this forum ;)

What about it? Let's try it, maybe something happens if enough volunteers appear.

Back