Hardware is Hard

laserbeams

I came across this article written by Bob Baddeley during his trip to Shenzhen to have a small market electronic device manufactured in China. Sound familiar?

http://engineerinshe...rdware-is-hard/ - it's a bit of a read, maybe 5 pages, but worth it.

It's one thing to hear about problems as they happen on this end, but nothing less than terribly sobering to see how many figurative landmines are out there. It's amazing the Pandora has gone through that trial by fire and come out relatively unscathed and actually continuing in production.

(P.S. Yes I realise that only the case and boards and sourced parts like LCDs were made in China, but this does highlight just how many things there are to go wrong, no matter where you have things made.)

It's been trial and error for some components from what I understand talking with ED and the discussions with Global Components. Some companies have strengths in certain areas, while others have failures (ie initial LCD cables). Its just hard negotiating and doing the leg work. A reason we should be grateful for Fatih.

Back