Going It Alone: Manufacturing In China

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
An interesting series of articles from a guest writer on Crunchgear, about manufacturing in China. It definitely has a more positive slant than most - the guy is more interested in sharing his experience than telling the usual tabloid horror stories. Not a bad read.

Adam Hocherman, 34, is an entrepreneur and founder of the consumer electronics company American Innovative in Boston, MA. Adam founded the company in 2003 with the help of the US Government's SBA loan program and is currently the 100% owner. He holds a BS in Mechanical Engineering and an MBA, both from Cornell University. Adam's writings can be found on his blog at DesignTheatre.net and through his Twitter feed.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 (First half - "Inside the factory walls")

Part 3 (Second half - "Injection moulding")

In that article, “Atoms Are the New Bits”, the folks at WIRED make it out like all that’s needed these days to make and sell a product is to dial up AliBaba.com, find a factory in Asia, throw a napkin sketch at them and wait for your container of packaged corporate job freedom to arrive in America.

Oh look, Openpandora made in into that article

Creation of the steel tooling is one of the longest stages of the product design process – typically taking 6-8 weeks from beginning to end.
Aha, and why it took 6-8 MONTHS in the case of the Pandora? :lol: We have a complicated case but never THAT complicated. This guy should hear the Pandora-Story, he would instantly die onto a Heart Attack. ;)

fusion_power said:
Creation of the steel tooling is one of the longest stages of the product design process – typically taking 6-8 weeks from beginning to end.
Aha, and why it took 6-8 MONTHS in the case of the Pandora? :lol: We have a complicated case but never THAT complicated. This guy should hear the Pandora-Story, he would instantly die onto a Heart Attack. ;)

He probably would just say the usual what everyone sais that has a bit of sanity left and his rant-compiler switched off: Without experience, everything takes much longer and this is nothing you learn from an average howto somewhere on the interwebs. And as China is not around the corner, there is a lot of Delay everytime something does not work exactly as wished.

This is not directed at you fusion_power, this is more globally for the lot of "Why havent you..." posts in here:

Come on guys...stop that shitty "I know what you did wrong and if I had done it it would have been much better attitude". It does not help anyone even IF you really do know (in most cases I have my serious doubts) This common webattitude pisses me off since many years now...every video has at least one "I can do better!" underneath...what do you gain from it? More of this strange e-peen I read about in some signature? :p

This IS a mostly "private" approach of some guys that had a nice idea and I am still amazed that it works at all. (this might be hard to believe if everything you ever accomplished in a team is some f*ed up raid in WOW.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back