Does going back and forth between power mode hurts the OP ?

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
I read an instructive thread and i wondered if a constant switching can hurt the machine ?

My idea is a custom powermode :

Each time the touchscreen and/or the right nub is used, the CPU goes 800Mhz during 5 sec.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe it would. There is a cpu profile on my droid, that I use, that does that. Basically if theres activity then crank up the processor when activity subsides decrease the processor. I would be careful not to send it into a setting loop where every time you touch the screen it try to set the processor to 800 mhz.

That's what i want to do.

Why not if it doesn't hurts the OP ?

I know temperature variations kills electronics, but maybe the °C difference is not that huge.

That's what i want to do.

Why not if it doesn't hurts the OP ?

I know temperature variations kills electronics, but maybe the °C difference is not that huge.

I didn't explain myself well. What I mean is that you don't want the system to constantly tell setcpu (or whatever its called) to set the processor speed while your using it. It should set the processor to 800 mhz on the first interaction with the device and then wait a given time limit after activity has stopped to set the processor back to default or lower speeds. That way your not hammering the system with set-cpu requests. It wont "hurt" the processor but it might hurt the performance.

Or is that what you meant by the "5sec" comment in your original post?

Kept it for a consistent bug report, but anyway :

The Xfce freedesktop xml on-the-fly generated menus are crap @ 500Mhz and under.

They are less crap above, but crap anyway.

So i had this idea :

When a certain area (menu bar) area is touched/clicked on, then an overclocking occurs during 5 sec.

And the extended idea :

Each OP is in "material" use (touchscreen, nubs), a 5 sec overclocking event is passed to the system.

So, as you said, it will hammer the system with set-cpu requests. But won't it improve usability ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kept it for a consistent bug report, but anyway :

The Xfce freedesktop xml on-the-fly generated menus are crap @ 500Mhz and under.

They are less crap above, but crap anyway.

So i had this idea :

When a certain area (menu bar) area is touched/clicked on, then an overclocking occurs during 5 sec.

And the extended idea :

Each OP is in "material" use (touchscreen, nubs), a 5 sec overclocking event is passed to the system.

So, as you said, it will hammer the system with set-cpu requests. But won't it improve usability ?

Okay I see now. No that wouldn't cause any problems. What I thought you meant was for every mouse event or nub event you would set the cpu. If its confined to certain operations or areas of the screen ,then yeah it would be a great improvement.

It makes me wonder if you can simply append a command to xfce's menu system to facilitate that action.

Overall, I like the idea, which ever way its implemented, and my above statements were only a word of caution. The speed increase would out weigh the negative I presented most of the time so theres no reason you shouldn't try. And lets face it the snappier the device, the more people will want it, and want to use it.

Happy hacking.

Back