Do you play games on systems that were 'before your time'?

As of writing, I am 17, a few months shy of 18, and I play tons of games from before my time. Born in '91, I wouldn't have played the 16 bit era at all had my older brother (now 23) not existed. He showed me Super Mario World and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (two of my favorite games of all time) when I was just a toddler. I got my first NES a few years ago, and I now have about 60 games, many of which I consider my favorite video games of all time (ie. Castlevania III, Mega Man II, Contra, The Legend of Zelda). I've also really gotten into Doom as of late (through Skulltag, which I hope is ported to Pandora someday :) ). It's a total blast whether in Deathmatch, Invasion, or Co-op. I also really like 80's arcade games, so much so that I built my own arcade machine to play them (Berzerk and Galaga are my two favorite arcade games). So, in closing, yes, I play many games from before my time, and I hope to continue playing them on Pandora. p&|a

Well, I got a Gameboy Color in 2000 when I was 7, Pokemon Yellow was the best... However aside from the handheld market I've never really played console games and the idea of sitting in front of a TV with a controller that uses two analog nubs and buttons that aren't a keyboard still makes me shiver... Ever since I got StarCraft circa 2003, I've never even thought about gaming on consoles... Mostly I find console games to be fun to play around with, but never interesting to devote more than a day's worth of attention... The closest I got was beating the original SMB on a NES emulator, but the only reason I got through it was because it had a "Time Machine" feature where I could instantly rewind if I died or something... I don't have the patience to play old NES or console games. I never got to experience the idea of sitting in front of a T.V. with a controller (unless watching in awe when I was 5 when my friend was playing his N64, refusing to share) counts. For me, all I know and will probably ever know is Pokemon, a few shoot-em-ups, RTS, and FPS.

WizardStan said:
The Intellivision was a couple years before I was born and was (and still is) one of my favourite systems of all time. The Intellivoice system was really cool, even by today's standards it's fairly impressive. "B-17 BAAAAAWMUUUUUR"

Heh... I loved that game! I even liked the cheesy bomb squad game ("Yuuul nevar do it in tiiiiiime!"). Actually, I even liked the weird disc-and-keypad-with-replaceable-overlay controllers (which many people despised). Interesting console.

skeezix said:
So my question is ..

Do people actually play games on platforms that are 'before their time'?

jeff

i'm old enough that no system is before my time having grown up on PONG, Atari 400 etc etc.

but....

while i still own most all systems i have played (i look at them now in boxes on shelves as i type this), i find that when i want to play my old games i have an Xbox for doing so as it covers so many of the old systems.

i bought a GP32 just so that i could play many of those games in hand held form. hence i'm looking forward to pandora.

unfortunately, since i bought 360 (to a lesser extent PS3/Wii), i have not switched on my xbox to play the old stuff. although i have just bought the 360 megadrive collection.

Interesting stories here. Well I was born in '92 and played my mother's Atari 2600 before I could count to 10. Mouse Trap and Yar's Revenge were my favorites for that. My dad was also pretty into DOS games at the time so I enjoyed Super Karts, Megaman X, and Tom & Jerry. Then somehow down the line my older brother obtained a beautiful Genesis 2. Those were the best Christmases (giftwise of course). This was at the time when they were rereleasing a lot of games for cheap. I remember ripping into boxes of Vetorman, Zoop, Alladin, and of course Sonic. While Christmas belonged to the Genesis, Thanksgivings were reserved for playing SNES at my cousin's house. I even remember renting Megaman 7 just to play it over there. When I was in Juniour High/Middle School one of my friends showed me emulation, which got me even more interested in older games. After that I found a NES at a thrift store and have been collecting and playing older games ever since. In fact, I play more Pre-PS2 consoles than I do my 360. All I use it for is Orange Box and XBL Arcade games. (Such as Virtual On OT! So friggin glad that is out!)

Back