Development Bounties

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Let me know what you would like to be 'fast tracked' on the Pandora via bounties.

It could be something like putting the ASM core in the SNES emu (so you can clock lower), auto frame skip in Mupen, a working Flash plugin, a youtube hardware player, other optimisations, new ports...

Let's hear what you want.

ALL XFCE app windows modded to fit Pandora resolution.

PSX4all with fully working sound and full interface. Also 3D acceleration.

Mupen64 with fully working sound and speedup.

Qemu/Wine combo running at emulated 100mhz or more.

XBMC.

Fully working Quake 3.

Hardware Accelerated windows, ie Compiz. <----- First Choice.

Improved WIFI speed, stability and reception. <-Third Choice

Improved SD card/usb drive read/write speed. <--Second Choice

Optimised PND launching speed for big apps (ie. Exaile and Firefox).

Gnome/Kde.

USB mass storage using the OntheGo port and my PSP usb cable.

Proper suspend to ram.

Virtual Boy emulator (with adjustable colours).

Proper front-ends for all the existing emulators, with the option to use a non-zenity menu.

Ubuntu Netbook Launcher.

Pmenu.

GP2Xmenu.

Keyboard mapping utility with profiles and auto-switching when loading emus/games.

A pop up control panel with options for Pandora specific settings.

A pop up minimal program launcher for use in XFCE etc.

Add the libraries for interface with an Ipod.

Add library for browsing Ipod Touch filesystem.

Rhythmbox.

Totem.

Gimp with all the output formats and filters.

Open Office.

Peazip.

Frozen Bubble.

Gnome Games.

Tux racer.

Audacity.

Driver for 360 pad.

Another utility to set gamma/brightness/saturation of the screen with sliders etc.

Gparted, or some other GUI program to format memory cards.

A tiny app/config panel to browse through photos and set wallpaper, eg. Nitrogen.

Minitube.

Nub scrolling mode that's analogue and not digital.

Neo Geo/CPS1/CPS2 emulator. Eg, FBA.

A PND manager.

Right click functions for PND on the desktop, ie. 'delete' 'settings' 'move to menu'.

A Pandora specific file manager with two panes and button control.

More XFCE taskbar applets, eg. network monitor.

Docky.

Newton emulator.

Palm emulator.

Android app support.

Pandora Appstore as an application.

Handwriting recognition, eg. Rosetta

Voice recognition.

Text-To-Speech integrated into XFCE etc, works with all apps.

· The development of a library that uses the DSP for audio decoding, to be able to link to it from every recompilable software that could use it. In order to save main processor cycles for other things. Maybe even emulators could use it? I'm not sure in that one, maybe each emulator would need to have their own special DSP code.

· A working flash plugin would be wondertastic. But I don't think a bounty will be so useful in this particular case. Because it's enough reward for itself this being something everybody wants, so that's all the motivation needed IMHO, and eventually somebody will work it out (did someone said n900?).

· A working sleep mode!

· A handy app for customization keyboard mapping.

· Optional Usb Mass Storage behavior when plugin it to a host.

· Development of a system based on repositories without loosing PND support, achiving the best of both worlds. Did you made any progress on that, Torpor?

· Setting up a "Development PND", that includes compilers, version control systems access tools, misc dev tools, and that opens up a console, to have a quick easy way to develop and compile right in the pandora.

· Include geany in the base system.

Great Idea! :)

SomeGuy99 said:
PSX4all with fully working sound and full interface. Also 3D acceleration.

Mupen64 with fully working sound and speedup.

Fully working Quake 3.

Hardware Accelerated windows, ie Compiz.

Improved WIFI speed, stability and reception.

Improved SD card/usb drive read/write speed.

Optimised PND launching speed for big apps (ie. Exaile and Firefox).

USB mass storage using the OntheGo port and my PSP usb cable.

Proper suspend to ram.

Virtual Boy emulator (with adjustable colours).

Proper front-ends for all the existing emulators, with the option to use a non-zenity menu.
^ THIS! :D

In general: Everything that makes Pandora programms faster. I guess it needs "motivation" to optimize programms instead of just rushing out "quick ports" 'n stuff. So (general) HW Acceleration (Video, Audio, Framebuffer, NEON, SGX, DSP...) would be a very reason for a reward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really love to get a port of Daphne. http://www.daphne-emu.com/site3/index_hi.php

Playing the old laserdisc classics on a handheld would be a dream come true.

Also optimizing and adding good menus(with speed/screen options) to all the current Emu's would also be great.

+1 on the youtube as well.

Chris

Although I agree with much of SG99 comments we need to work one at a time, I think we need to nail PSX on the head, everyone I have shown it to has been blown away. It's almost there IMO there is some speed issues in some games on the current beta but they were working super fast (too fast) in first release. more than likely accurate sound emulation and the FPS limiter have overheads and if we push for this to be optimised it will be a REAL eye opener. We can compare this with PSX4ALL on the PSP, Iphone and N900 (I know there is Sony's own PSX emulator for PSP but to demonstrate the same code on different hardware)

It's not my favourite console, my favourite is Amiga but I think in the big picture Amiga isn't an issue (we have full speed ports already just need to be coded with some Pandora specifics) we need to show these nob heads that keep shouting too little to late, should of been here 2 years ago, it's old hardware now ETC because they are wrong and it's bad publicity. They jump on most Youtube video's and put out the excitement flame IMO

Not only for that reason 95% of the people on here will have old classics they want to play and I think Pandora and it's image will be much more respected with full speed PSX emulation under the belt

I have faith in the N64 emulator too but ATM the PSX is closer to true full speed other aspects of the firmware probably don't want to be worked on too much as we will likely be upgrading to the latest Angstrom build soon and will likely change a lot of thing around. It is already working quite nice. We need killer apps at the moment and PSX is iconic, it gets peoples attention big time and as soon as anyone tries to disrespect our baby we have a good argument and will likely be an end to anyone who doesn't believe in Pandora

What does everyone else thin about this?

Edit: sorry 5 people posted while I was writing this. Hardware accelerated desktop and video playback is another big one but we already have good enough playback for the time being in my opinion plus the point we will probably upgrade to the latest Angstom OS build soon with a new Kernel so that will likely improve when that happens

There's lots I'd 'like'. But a short-list of the stuff I want bad enough to cough up money for a bounty, right now (even though I don't have my Pandora yet ;P ), in order of my priority:

-working Flash plugin
-PSX4all mouse support via the touch-screen (big one here! Seriously will pay a lot if it can be done!)
-scummVM work (touch screen support, scaling, weekly dev builds/a compilation guide, compatibility)
-proper suspend/sleep mode
-Mupen64. Banjo-Tooie & Donkey Kong 64 working without graphical errors or slowdowns, normally some of the most difficult games to emulate.
-Hardware-accelerated, pretty-looking windows eg Compiz. That little graphical upgrade will do wonders for its "wow" factor to people who think Linux is just a text-only terminal prompt or who have never been introduced to what Linux is capable of before.
-Hardware-accelerated video/audio playback.

Edit: not quite a job for Pandora developers, but since I'm planning to play it on my Pandora... working Myst/Riven support within scummVM. I will seriously pay a lot for this. More than a Pandora's worth.

RIUM+ said:
There's lots I'd 'like'. But a short-list of the stuff I want bad enough to cough up money for a bounty, <em>right now</em> (even though I don't have my Pandora yet ;P ), in order of my priority:

-scummVM work (touch screen support, weekly dev builds/a compilation guide, compatibility)

ScummVM already has touch screen support I use it far too much (according to my girlfriend) So far the compatibility guide on the ScummVM website is accurate I tested about 20-30 games so far.

There are 2 thing that bother me ATM no full screen scaling (yes I like fat heads OK) and if you touch out of the viewable screen area IE the black bars it totally confuses the software and ScummVM will only remember the last time the mouse was in the viewable area, then the touch screen thinks it's somewhere else. I'm sure DJwillis will fix it up soon enough though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Sleep mode and suspend to ram.
  2. DSP accelerated audio and video.
  3. Mass storage device driver for USB OTG port.

@jumpman, a working Daphne would be so sweet, and an impressive show of what the Pandora can do. The only worry is that some of the laserdisc roms can be as big as 3 or 4 gig, it will soon eat up your space on the SD card. But hell if they can bring out dragon's lair on the ds, then surely a daphne emulator or a port of dragon's lair/space ace would be sweet :D

Low power usage "mp3 mode" using low cpu clock and DSP for decoding? (BT for A2DP playback would be cool, not very low power though...)

Using the usb on the go port to actually SIMULATE A REAL USB CD-ROM, like how some mobile broadband adapters do with software, we could choose an iso from and SD and expose that to a computer, to install windows or linux. no need to burn cd's that gets scratched and burn again and again....

More current Kernel! make our own distro based on Ångström, but really our own distro, and more up to date.

Try to fix the USB port crashing now and then, still haven't nailed down the reason.

Android, Maemo, and Google OS alternative OS's! I'm currently fiddling with Archmobile myself, but really, I lack experience and knowledge, so I'm in over my head here.

Atleast Chromium 5 in next hotfix/os!
And a torrent client...

A version of firefox optimised for the pandora, with html5 support, if that's realistic.

edit- xbmc would be awesome too.

Hardware acceleration of everything would probably be the best thing for the Pandora at the moment.

Hardware support for sound in music players using the DSP.
Support for sound through the DSP and video through hardware in MPlayer etc.
Support for graphical plug-ins in emulators (mostly N64 and PSX emulators) using OpenGL and the hardware + the sound through the DSP too.

I would even put full hardware support before tweaking the power saving as this will all go a long way to increasing the battery life anyway.

@ Gizmo a lot of people have said about USB crashing.. what actually happens? mine works fine USB pen drives and HDD's. My main 16GB card reached it's write threshold so when I first got the Pandora I used a USB drive to put all my PND's on it worked flawlessly it even puts the icons on the desktop which surprised me.

Back